S&SWM PR papers L1371

Ansd/ Sept 18/95 | Crespi

Cooma | Wimborne | August 25th 1895

My dear Sir

I am just publishing a long article in "Cyling" and in it I have distinctly mentioned our conversation the other day, at the Larmer Tree. You will remember telling me that you were thinking of forming a series illustrating the evolution of the Cycle. You may get some letters from readers of my article offering to put machines at your service for the puprose, and my note will prepare you for any such offer of help.

I was charmed with the Larmer Tree and hardly know how to thank you for your generosity and goodness in providing such places as the Larmer Tree grounds and the Museum

Believe me, dear Sir,
Yours truly
Alfred J.H. Crespi
Member Royal College of Physicians
Formerly Editor of the Sanitary Review

Despite Pitt-Rivers intention to form a series, there is only a few objects in the catalogue of the second collection, Add.9455vol3_p1237 /1 described as 'Bought of C. Herrington, Salisbury ... 1 52 inch “Ordinary” Bicycle'; Add.9455vol3_p1226 /2, described as 'Presented by Mr Tarrant of Poole Put together and repaired by Osborn Collins Serpentine Road, Poole  B. Bicycle with rubber tyres, Date about 1880.; and Add.9455vol3_p1226 /1 'Presented by Mr Tarrant of Poole Put together and repaired by Osborn Collins Serpentine Road, Poole  A. A “Boneshaker” with iron tyres Date 1869'; The first rubber tyre made for Mr Tarrant of Poole The first suspension wheel' all obtained September-November 1895 respectively, presumably after the article came out.

Crespi was born circa 1848 in La Valletta, Malta, and was living in Dorset by 1881 with his English born wife Sarah.

Transcribed by AP June 2011

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo