Pitt-Rivers papers PRM Box 3 Part 1

PR box 3 / 1 transcriptions

All of the letters in this subsection have been transcribed. A full listing of all the Pitt-Rivers’ letters in the PRM is available here. All notes about aspects of the letters were also prepared by the transcriber, Alison Petch. Transcriptions and notes were prepared between January and February 2015. Please note: all of this Box 3/ 1 section are tagged together using a stationery tag through hole in top left. 

[Stamp: Office of Works B 6856 30 Oct 1898]

[Subject] Public Buildings Estimates 1897-8

Protection of Ancient Monuments

[Memoranda] 

General Pitt Rivers,

Will you be so good as to state before the 15th, prox. what sum you consider should be provided in the Estimates for 1897-8 for this service.

It has been the practice of late years to take a sum of £100 per annum

[Illegible initials]

30 Oct 96

[Different handwriting, if it is Pitt-Rivers’ it is much neater than usual] Since 1891 the Ancient Monuments Act has been virtually in abeyance, in consequence of the decision of the Board of Works, that I should no longer endeavour to obtain fresh monuments, but that “the Act being permissive the attitude of the Government should be passive.” If this working of the Act is still considered satisfactory, I see no reason why any additional sum should be noted beyond what is necessary to keep the Monuments now under the Act in good repair. I have no opinion to offer on the subject. My letter to Mr Primrose [1] of the 20th Feb 1891 sufficiently explains my views, but I think it desirable to take this opportunity of referring to the subject, in case dissatisfaction should be expressed on the part of archaeologists, and in order to show that it was not by my desire that the Act was discontinued. There has been some private correspondence with the owners of monuments since 1891, and some good done, but nothing contrary to the general tenor of my instructions. I have no knowledge whether the sum of £100 is sufficient or even whether it has been drawn.

Nov 14th 1896 A Pitt Rivers

[Different handwriting] FO[illegible]

What has been expended last year & up to this date this year?

[illegible initials]

[Different handwriting] B[illegible]

Expenditure as follows

1895-6 = £17.11.3

1 Apl – 24 Nov. 96 = £1.9.6

[illegible initials]

[Different handwriting] Secretary

What provision should be made for 1897-8?

[illegible initials]

[Different handwriting] General Pitt Rivers

Comparing the way in which you worked the Act during the first 7 years with the working of it during the past 5 have you any reason to think that the intention of those responsible for the act has been neglected of late?

2. Are you aware of any monuments of interest and importance which would have been scheduled had this Dept taken the initiative?

3. Do you know of any important monuments which are neglected owing to the fact that they are not scheduled?

[illegible initials] 26 Nov 96

Notes

[1] Henry William Primrose (1846-1923) Scottish civil servant, secretary of the Office of Works from 1887 to 1895.

Cover sheet 

‘Office Establishment. 

Genl. A. Pitt-Rivers.

(Inspector of Ancient Monuments)

[Stamp Office of Works B 1121 26 Feb 1891]

Establishment 

Genl Pitt-Rivers

Inspector of Ancient Monuments

[Memoranda]

Finance Div’n

I have informed Genl Pitt Rivers that the F.C. agrees to this proposal 

H.W.P. [1]

28/2

2/3

[Different handwriting] Mr Worsfall

To note the further payments sh’d be made

J.W.

[Different handwriting] Noted 

JW

[Different handwriting] B. b[illegible]

[Different handwriting]  But [?Put] by

[illegible initials]

Ap 93

[Typed copy letter]

[Stamp Office of Works B 1121 26 Feb 1891]

Rushmore

Salisbury

February 25th 1891

Dear Mr Primrose [1]

It is now nearly two years since the Ancient Monuments Act has been worked on the new system, and carried out according to your instructions, viz., on teh principle that “the Act being Permissive, the attitude of the Government should be passive”. As I expected the result has been that no additional Monuments have been added to the list. I do not think this view of the Act is other than the correct one, but it is, as you know, quite contrary to the principle on which I worked it for the past [insert] first] 7 years. My private Archaeological Staff, consisting of 4 assistants, has been used during the whole of that time, but during the last 18 months or two years, beyond correspondence, occasional inspections, and the construction of models of the Monuments, respecting which a proposal will, I believe, be made to the Government by the United Archaeological Societies of the country, there has not been much to do.

I have been asked to form one of a Committee of the Society of Antiquaries, for the purpose of memorializing the Government on the subject of a change in the Act, but, being a Government Officer, I do not think it would be correct for me to have anything to do, ostensibly, with new suggestions. I have, however, told them I would attend the Committee, and give them any information they wanted.

Meanwhile, as the office as become very nearly a sinecure during the last 18 months, I think it would be desirable, in order to meet hostile criticism, if it should occur, that my pay as Inspector should cease. I do not propose to retire from the office at present, unless the First Commissioner thinks it desirable, as I might be of use in advising the Government, but I should be glad if you would intimate to the Treasury that at my request the pay should be discontinued.

Yours truly,

A Pitt-Rivers

P.S.—I do not think that any damage is being done to pre-historic Monuments at the present time.

Notes

[1] Henry William Primrose (1846-1923) Scottish civil servant, secretary of the Office of Works from 1887 to 1895.

[Stamp: Office of Works B 454 1 1 Jan 1889]

Establishment

Lieut. Genl Pitt-Rivers

Treasury – Copy of lr [letter] addressed to War Off [War Office] respecting the Retired Pay of

[Memoranda]

p.p. Dim

General Pitt Rivers

To see

H.W.P.  1/1/89

[Pitt-Rivers’ handwriting]  Seen & returned

Jan 7th 1889 A Pitt Rivers

J Warisun

To see

[illegible initials]

[Different handwriting]  B bw

Seen 

TW

18 Jan 89

[Different handwriting]  Pully

[illegible]

[In reply to this Letter the following Number should be quoted] 20346/ 88

[Treasury Chambers]

31 December 1888

[Stamp: Office of Works B[illegible] 1 Jan 1889]

Sir

[I am directed by the Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury to transmit herewith for] your [information] with reference to Mr Primrose’s letter of 20 instant [insert] B 7365/ 88 [end insert] [a copy of a letter of to-day’s date which My Lords have caused to be addressed to] The Financial Secretary War Office [on the subject] of Lieutenant General Fox-Pitt-Rivers’s Retired Pay &c as Inspector of Ancient Monuments.

[I have the honour to be,]

Sir

[Your most obedient Servant.]

[illegible signature]

The First Commissioners of Works

[Carbon]

20346/88 31 December 8

[Stamp: Office of Works B[illegible] 1 Jan 1889]

Sir,

The Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury direct me to acquaint you for the information of the Secretary of State that they have only just received a Report from the Office of Works upon Mr. Knox’s letter of the 24th August [insert] 48368/ 19 [end insert] and Mr De la Bere of the 17th ultimo, respecting the issue of Lieutenant General Fox-Pitt-Rivers Retired pay in conjunction with his Civil Emoluments as Inspector of Ancient Monuments.

I am to say that, as the Officer in question accepted his Civil Employment before the passing of the Superannuation Act 1887, the Rules under Section 6 of that Act cannot apply to him without his consent: and assuming that he does not give such consent, his case must be governed by the Rules formerly in force based on the Appropriation Act of 1870, under which his Retired pay may be issued to him in full without requiring any abatement from his Civil Emolument as from 1st January 1883.

My Lords desire me to ad... [piece of paper lost] that, although Lieutenant General Pitt-Rivers’s public spirit and Co... [piece of paper lost] of Archaeology lead him to spe... [piece of paper lost] almost, if not quite, the whole [of] his Salary in travelling and o.. [other] services connected with his Civil appointment, it is, technically, employment of profit, and therefore ought to have been mentioned [in] his Declarations for Retired Pay [possibly bit of text missing with piece of paper lost] as My Lords understand, will always be so in future

I am, Sir,

Your obedient Servant

[To] The Financial Secretary War Office

[Stamp: Office of Works B7365 23 Nov 1888]

[Subject] Treasury Reference No. 18309/88

Establishment 

Lt. Genl. Fox Pitt-Rivers War Off. Further for issue of Retired Pay although he is in receipt of civil salary as Inspector of Anc. Mon’ts

[Memoranda]

[Insert] B5617/88 & pp Genl Pitt-Rivers 4/9 [end insert]

General Pitt Rivers

With gr... [illegible] the previous papers which appear to have been referred to you on the 4th of August [insert] September [end insert] last

KRG

21 Nov 88

[Pitt-Rivers’ handwriting] All previous papers returned herewith

Nov 24 1888 A Pitt Rivers

[insert] H.W.P. 18/12

[different handwriting] 20.12.’88

My Lords

In returning herewith the papers relating to the claim of General Pitt-Rivers to draw retired army pay in combination with his Civil Salary as Inspector of Ancient Monuments, referral to [illegible], orders of 28 Augst & 19 Nov last, I have the honour to submit herewith copy of a memor’a and accompanying papers, which Gen’l Pitt Rivers has prepared in explanation of the circumstances of the case.

It cannot I think be [illegible word crossed out] denied that, in the strictly literal sense of the term, the office which Genl P.R. holds under this Board is an officer [insert] [illegible] [end insert] of Profit – On the other hand I am satisfied that as a matter of fact Genl P.R. has derived little of any, [insert] (the [end insert] actual profit [insert] which Genl P.r. has derived [end insert] from it [insert] is much below the sum he has received in salary [end insert], and that, if any accurate account of his disbursements in connection with his work as Inspector could be purposed  -- a process which [insert] I fear [end insert] wd. not now be practicable – it wd. show that but a small balance, if any, over his receipts in return – [illegible] circumstances it will be for [illegible] to determine whether a [illegible word crossed out][illegible] can be given to the position which Genl. P.R. has taken up in regard to his civil offices – such as will cover his omission to include a reference to it in his declaration to the W.O.—an omission which, while technically incorrect, appears to have been made in perfectly good faith, and to be not entirely at variance with the actual factss—not result of the actual facts

I am ...

[different handwriting] HWP for JC 

[added to side in same handwriting] Dis PMR 20.12.88 [illegible]

General Pitt Rivers

to see

H.W.P. 20/12

Seen & returned 

Dec 21 1888 A Pitt Rivers

(See B1/ 89)

[Stamp: Office of Works B5617 30 Aug 1889]

[Written along fold Entd T.L.B. no 82 pa 618

[Subject] Treasury Reference, No. 14133/88

Establishment

War Office – Lt Genl Fox-Pitt-Rivers to draw retired pay as well as Civil Salary

[Memoranda]

[insert] 184677/88 1 file DWn [end insert]

General Pitt Rivers –

Would you supply a memo’r for submission to the Treasury, explaining the grounds on which you consider that your appointment as Inspector of Ancient Monuments is not an “Employment of Profit”

H.w.P. 3/9

[Different handwriting, not Pitt-Rivers’s, presumably a copyist] Secretary,

The necessity for economy had been impressed upon me by successive First Commissioners and I had taken the office with an understanding on my part that it would be a labour of love and not an “employment of profit.” The amount appropriated to the preservation of the monuments was at first quite insufficient only £100 a year and I suggested that if that amount was increased I would curtail my expenses to make up for it. The amount appropriated to the protection of the monuments had been increased to £200 a year and since 21st July / 84 I have not sent in any charge for travelling expenses, altho’ I have travelled as before, I append a statement of the journies [sic] I have made expressly for the purpose of Anc: Mons: since 21st July / 84 altho’ that does not represent the work done because I have taken other opportunities of seeing all the monuments I could at other times. An assistant is quite necessary for the proper survey of the monuments, plans, sections, and drawings of which have been sent in with each monument that i have reported upon. I have employed and taken an assistant about with me on all my journeys. The work could not be done without him within a reasonable time, I have done this entirely at my own expense. I have a regular staff, consisting of 3 assistants whom I employ entirely upon archaeological work allied to that of the office I hold. On one occasion I had them all employed at the same time on Inspection work in different parts of Galloway, I myself going from village to village to superintend the work.

It is very difficult in this way to draw an exact line between private archaeological work and official work.

I may also mention that by a correspondence (see A8977, Nov 7 1883) it was arranged that I should make excavations in certain works for the purpose of ascertaining their nature, and whether they are worthy of Government protection. I have done this on two occasions, firstly at the Pen Pits, my privately printed report on which is annexed. It was ascertained that the popular view of these works was erroneous and that instead of being a large British metropolis of great extent and importance, they were only the remains of an extensive quarry for querns in ancient times, and as such not worthy of Government Protection. The second instance was that of Bokerley Dyke where I made an important discovery, the report upon which is being prepared privately. 

I have obtained the owners sanction to put a part of this important earthwork under the Act and the usual application for so doing will be sent in shortly. In both these cases I found that it would not be advisable to charge the Government with the expense of the excavations. Archaeologists whose opinions were set aside by the result of my excavations were naturally dissatisfied. It would be presented that Government was aiding in my private archaeological work, indeed one dissatisfied archaeologist did commence an agitation with that view until he found himself over a pit-fall. It would never do to charge the expense of these excavations to the public. Government would be accused of profligate expenditure and my own private work would be discredited. I have therefore abstained from bringing the subject to the notice of the Office of Works, altho’ the correspondence would justify me in doing so. The cost of these undertakings was considerable 

This will show I think that a great part of my official work is done at my own expense and I am inclined to think that under the present view of Parliament on the subject it is not advisable that the expense of my office should be much increased, but it will have to be increased if it is to be placed on a permanent footing.

The annexed copy of Lord Stalbridge’s letter [1] will perhaps explain the nature of the work that I undertook

[strip of paper cut out and stuck in, with Pitt-Rivers’ handwriting

A. Pitt Rivers.

Lt: General,

Notes

[1] Richard de Aquila Grosvenor, 1st Baron Stalbridge (1837-1912), MP, in 1882 he was Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (he was in that post from 1880-1885). See here.

Treasury Reference 

14133/ 88

B5617/88

War Office

24 Aug ‘88

Lt. Genl. Fox-Pitt-Rivers – To draw retired pay as well as Civil Salary

As this Office accepted his civil employment before the passing of the Superannuation Act 1887, he need not come under the new Rules – and the old Rules do not require any abatements from his emoluments

But does the Office of Works admit that his salary of £250 is not remunerative? The test is his paying Income Tax or not

(sa) GL R. 28/8

Refer to the First Comm’r of Works for observations

(sd) [that is, signed] GL. R.

28/8

28368/ 19 B:5617/88

Financial Sect’ys Dept

War Office

24th Aug 1888

Sir,

I am directed by the Secretary of State for War to request that you will inform the Lords Comm’rs of HM. Treasury that owing to Lieut. Genl. Fox Pitt Rivers having omitted to include in the declarations upon which he draws his Army non-effective Pay a statement that he holds the appointment of Inspector of Ancient Monuments, his case has never been been submitted to Their Lordships with a view of proper authority being given for him to draw non effective Pay together with the Salary of his civil appointment. The omission on Lieut Genl. Fox-Pitt-Rivers part has arisen from the fact that he has not regarded his appointment as “Employment of profit”; he having accepted it to render a public service and upon the understanding that his salary would be expended in work connected with the Office he holds.

He took up the appointment with a salary of £250 a year, on the 1st Jan’y ’83 when he was already on the Retired List of the Army with Retired Pay equal to unattached pay at £1.5.0 a day – the rate he is still in receipt of. Under these circs he would appear to be entitled to the benefit of Rule 16 of the Treasury Rules under the Superannuation Act, 1887, which in effect allows of the case being dealt with under the Appropriation Act, 1870, and of his drawing both Retired Pay and Civil Salary in full, I am to request that you will submit this view of the matter for Their Lordships favourable consideration.

I have to, 

(sd) A.H. Knox

The Secretary 

Treasury

[On Office of Works crested paper]

18309 / 88

B.7355/ 88

17 Nov. 88

War Office

Lt. Gen: Fox-Pitt-Rivers

Fur: for issue of Retired Pay altho’ he is in receipt of civil salary as Inspector of Ancient Monuments.

Minute

Refer to the First Commr of Works, with reference to 14133/88 referred to him on 29th August last.

G.L.R. 19/11

18309 / 88

B.7355

Financial Secretary’s Department,

War Office.

17 November 1888

Sir,

I am directed by the Secretary of State for War to request that you will move the Lords Commissioners of H.M. Treasury to favour him with an early reply to the letter from this Office of the 24th August last, 48368/19 submitting for Their Lordships approval that authority be given for the issue of the Retired Pay of Lieutenant General Fox Pitt-Rivers in full, notwithstanding that he is in receipt of Civil Salary as Inspector of Ancient Monuments.

I have &c,

(sd.) H.J. de la Bère

The Secretary

to the Treasury

S.W.

Copy

B5617/ 88

[Subject] Ancient Monuments Act

Appointment of Inspector Letter from Lord Richard Grosvenor

[Memoranda]

Nov. 9 1882

My dear General Pitt-Rivers,

I am requested by Mr. Gladstone [1] to ask you if you will give the Government & the country the benefit of your great archaeological knowledge by accepting the appointment of Inspector under the Ancient Monuments Act passed during this last summer.

We believe that there is no one in England who could fill the post so well as yourself, as besides a thorough knowledge of all the Anc: Monuments in question which you possess, your position as a land owner will enable you to bring more weight to bear on the present proprietors of some of the Monuments, and there will be tact required in the managements in the case of the first appointed Inspector under the Act. Should you intimate to me your acceptance of the Appt. and such I hope will be the case, and so I need hardly say does Mr. Gladstone you will receive further communications as to the duties, salary &c

I am,

Yours faithfully

Richard Grosvenor

Genl. Pitt-Rivers

Notes

[1] Gladstone was then Prime Minister

[The following appears to be in Pitt-Rivers’ handwriting]

B5617/ 88

Ancient Monuments Act

Account of Journies [sic] of inspection made by General Pitt Rivers since 21 July 1884

1884 July

London to Bakewell Derbyshire for Hob’s Hurst’s House [sic] [1] and on to Manchester. Returned owing to bad weather

1885 August

London to Keswick for Stone Circle on Eskdale Moor [2], Ravenglass [3], Whitehaven, Penrith, Shap Stone Circles [4]; Edinburgh, Castle Cary [sic] for Roman Wall [5], Woodhouse Lees to see Mrs. Fraser Tytler about Edm’s Hall [6], Oban for serpentine mound [7], Iona [8], Gairloch [9], Stornoway, Callernish [sic] Stones [10], Pictish Tower at Carloway [11], Barvas [12], Broch of Brogan [13], Morsgail (beehive houses) [14], Garry-na-Hine [15], Cool, Strathpeffer [16], Kinnahaird [17], Tumulus near Loch Achilty [18], Vitrified fort at Knockfarrel [19], Stones at Clacham Gorach [20], Dingwall, Blackmuir on the Catsback near Strathpeffer [21], Golspie [22], Carril Broch [23], Thurso, Kirkwall [24], Ring of Brogar [sic] [25], Stennis Stone Circle [26], Maeshow [sic] [27], Broch of Lingrow [sic] [28]; Sutherlandshire for Lairg [29], Altnahura [sic] [30], Dun Creggan Broch, Dun of Dornadilla [31], Inverness for Kinchyle [32], Leys Circle [33], Craig Phadrig (vitrified fort) [34]; Aberdeen.

1886 October

London to Carlisle, Ruthwell for Runic Cross [35], Roman Camp at Ecclefechan [36], Crofts Moat at Castle Douglas [37], Moat [sic] of Urr [38], Whithorn for St Peter’s Stone [39], St Ninians Cave [40], Newton Stewart [41], Cairn near Cree Bridge in the parish of Minnigaff [42]. Sculptured stones in Minnigaff Church [43], Drumfern Cairn [44], Dranandow [sic] Stones [45], Kirkmadrine Stones [46], Balgreghan Moat, Balmurray for Laggangairn [sic] Standing Stones [48].

1887 August

London to Sheffield for Carlswark, Derbyshire [49], Bailey at Bradfield [50], Camp Green at Hathersage [51], Roman Camp at Brough near Hope, Derbyshire. [52]

1887 June [sic]

Rushmore to Old Sarum [53] and Stonehenge [54]

1887 September

Rushmore to Dorchester for the Amphitheatre [55], Maiden Castle [56], Stone Circle at Winterbourne Abbas [57], Hell stone circle near Portisham [58], Stone Circle at Poxwell [59], Grey Mare and Colts (Long Barrow) [60]

1887 October

London to Whithorn for Rispain, (Roman Camp) [61], Whithorn Priory for stone crosses [62], St Peter’s Stone near Whithorn [63], Chapel at the Isle of Whithorn [64], Port William for Barsalloch Fort [65], Drumtrodden [sic] standing stones [66], Cup marked stones at Drumtrodden [sic] Farm [67], Blairbowie Stones [68], Druchtag Moat [sic] [69], White Cairn of the Airelich [70], Wigton for Torhouse Circle [71], Glenluce for Wells of the Rees [72], Cairni-na-gat 

(Three assistants were employed constantly on this tour)

1888 September

Rushmore to Bathampton for Camp [74] and Wansdyke [75]; Cirencester and Chedworth for Roman Villa [76]; Cheltenham to see Lady Nicholson about Ch... [illegible] [77]; Tenbury for Titterstone Clee Hill [78]; Stroud for Uleybury [sic] Long Barrow [79], Newport, Caerleon [80], Roman Villa at Llanwit [sic] Major [81] Crosses at Llanwit [sic] (2) [82]; Caermarthen [sic] for 3 crosses at Trausmaur [sic] [83]; Cross at Llanfihangel-ar-arth [84]; 2 crosses at Llandilo [sic] [85]; Brigend [sic] for 5 crosses at Margam [86]; Cross at Tythegston [87]; Cross at Marthyr Maur [sic] [88]; Llangan [89]   Returned to Bath for Stantonbury Camp [90], Wansdyke near Englishcombe

Plans, Sections and Drawings were taken of nearly all the monuments named above

Notes on Inspector sites visited

[1] Hob Hurst’s House, see here

[2] There are several stone circles that might qualify for this description, elsewhere this is described as Burn Moor (or Burnmoor) near St Bees

[3] Possibly here

[4] Probably part or all of here

[5] Antonine Wall, Castlecary, near Cumbernauld, see here

[6] Woodhouselees, Midlothian, site cannot be identified but presumably marked here here

[7] Serpent Mound, Loch Nell, Argyll, see here or possibly here

[8] Iona, Inner Hebrides, see here

[9] Gairloch, Wester Ross, see here, possibly to see a Pictish stone

[10] Callanish stones, Isle of Lewis, see here 

[11] Dun Carloway, Isle of Lewis see here

[12] Barvas, Isle of Lewis, see here

[13] Not identified, presumably one of these here

[14] Isle of Lewis. See here. Presumably the ones mentioned here, here

[15] Garynahine, Isle of Lewis see here

[16] Strathpeffer, Ross and Cromarty, see here

[17] Kinnahaird Highland see here

[18] Achilty henge, see here

[19] Knock Farril, Highland. See here

[20] Heights of Bray, see here

[21] Cat’s Back is a ridge near Strathpeffer also called Druimchat, see here. The specific site has not been identified.

[22] Golspie, Sutherland see here

[23] Cannot be surely identified, appears to be called Craig-Carril or Carroll broch

[24] Orkney islands

[25] The Ring of Brodgar, Stenness, Orkney, see here

[26] See here

[27] Maeshowe, Orkney, see here

[28] Lingro Broch, Orkney see here

[29] Lairg, Sutherland, see here

[30] Altnaharra, Sutherland, see here

[31] Dun Dornaigil Broch, see here

[32] Possibly Kinchyle of Dores, near Scaniport, Highland see here

[33] Cannot identify site 

[34] Criag Phadrig, see here

[35] Ruthwell cross, see here

[36] Burnswark Roman Fort, Dumfries and Galloway see here

[37] Cannot be identified

[38] Mote of Urr, Dumfries and Galloway, see here

[39] St Peter Stone, Whithorn, Dumfries and Galloway see here [see also note 63]

[40] St Ninian’s Cave, Whithorn, Dumfries and Galloway see here

[41] See here

[42] Creebridge Cairn, Dumfries and Galloway see here

[43] Minnigaff, Dumfries and Galloway, see here

[44] Drumfern cairn, Dumfries and Galloway see here

[45] Drannandow stones, see here

[46] Kirkmadrine, Dumfries and Galloway, one of these see here

[47] Balgreggan, Dumfries and Galloway, probably here

[48] Laggangarn, Dumfries and Galloway, see here

[49] Now known as Carl Wark, Sheffield, North Yorkshire, see here

[50] Bailey Hill, High Bradfield, South Yorkshire see here

[51] Camp Green, Church Bank, Hathersage, see here

[52] Brough-on-Noe Roman Camp see here

[53] See here

[54] See here

[55] Maumbury Rings, see here

[56] See here

[57] The nine stones, Winterbourne Abbas see here

[58] Hell Stone Portesham see here

[59] See here

[60] Long barrow near Abbotsbury, See here

[61] Rispain, see here

[62] Whithorn Priory, see here

[63] St Peter Stone, Whithorn, Dumfries and Galloway see here [see also note 39]

[64] St Ninian’s Chapel, see here

[65] Barsalloch Point, Dumfries and Galloway see here

[66] Drumtroddan Standing Stone see here

[67] There are several cup and ring marked stones near Drumtroddan see here and here and here.

[68] These appear to be a reference to Blairbowie, in Aberdeenshire, where there is a standing stone see here but also other monuments

[69] Druchtag Mote Hill, Dumfries and Galloway see here

[70] Airelich Cannot be identified, possibly Meikle Findowie, Perth and Kinross, see here

[71] Torhousekie, Dumfries and Galloway see here

[72] Killgallioch, Dumfries and Galloway see here

[73] Cairn-Na-Gath, Dumfries and Galloway see here

[74] Bathampton Camp see here

[75] Wansdyke see here

[76] Chedworth Roman Villa see here

[77] Unfortunately Lady Nicholson cannot be identified and neither can the site which is illegible but looks like Chikanim (which is not correct).

[78] Titterstone Clee Hill, Shropshire see here

[79] Uley Bury, Gloucestershire, see here

[80] Caerleon, Newport, South Wales, see here

[81] Caermead Roman Villa, Llantwit Major see here

[82] Llantwit Major crosses see here

[83] Trawsmawr cross, I can find references via google to stones and crosses at Trawsmawr but not to a specific reference

[84] This cross cannot be identified, though the village is in Carmarthenshire, here

[85] Actually Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire. See here for reference to 2 fragments of celtic cross found there

[86] See here here. Margam is a suburb of Port Talbot, Neath

[87] see 88

[88] Merthyr Mawr, crosses now found at St Teilo churchyard

[89] Llangan, is probably Llangain in Carmarthenshire where there are three standing stones see here

[90] Stantonbury Camp, Somerset, see here

[91] Wansdyke see here

DuB5617/88

[Service] Establishment

B4677 / 1888

[Drafted by] [illegible initials]

[Copied by] [illegible initials]

[Examined by] [illegible initials]

[Dispatched by] [illegible initials]

[Entered] [illegible initials]

H.W.P. 10/8

[To] The Under Sec’y of State War Office

10 Aug 1888

Sir,

With ref. to the letter from this Dept. of the 23rd ulto. (on W.O. no 48368/15), I am [illegible] &c to explain [insert] state [end insert] for the info’n of the Sec’y of State for War, that since July 1884 Genl. Pitt-Rivers has made no claim on acct. of travelling or personal expenses, altho’ the Bd. have reason to know that his disbursements during the intervening [insert] subsequent [end insert] period [insert] between that date & the present time [end insert] must have been considerable

HWP

I am &c

[Service] Establishment

B4677 / 1888

[Drafted by] [illegible initials]

[Copied by] [illegible initials]

[Examined by] [illegible initials]

[Dispatched by] [illegible initials]

[Entered] [illegible initials]

[illegible initials] 23 July 88

[illegible initials] July 88

[Subject] Gen Pitt Rivers

To: The Under Sec of State War Office

23 July 1888

Sir

In reply to Mr [illegible, possibly Davis’] letter of the 17th inst. No. 48368/ 15, I am [2 words illegible] you for the inf. of the Sec of State for War, that Gen. Pitt Rivers has received from this Dept since the 1st of Jan 1883 a salary of £250 per an with his actual expenses of locomotion, and an allowance for personal expenses of £1 for every night of absence from home

I am &c

HWP

Finance Div’n

What was the last date on which General Pitt-Rivers sent in an account for travelling expenses

H.W.P. 9/8/8

Sir

For the period to 21 July ’84 see annexed paper

J.W.

[illegible] W.O. that since July 84 General Pitt Rivers has made no claim on account of travelling or personal expenses although the Bd have reason to know that his disbursements during the period must have been considerable.

H.W.P. 9/8

Letter to W.O. 1078 [illegible initials] 

[Stamp] Office of Works B 4677 18 July 1888

[Subject] Establishment War. Off. For particulars of emoluments of Genl. Pitt Rivers as Inspector of Anc: Monuments

[Memoranda]

Acquaint War Office that General Pitt Rivers has received since the 1st Jany 1883 a salary of £250 a year with his actual expenses of locomotion & an allowance for personal expenses of £1 for every night of absence from home

[illegible initials possibly RRP]

19 July 88

Letter 2.3.7.88 JF

No 48368/ 15

[Financial Secretary’s Department, War Office]

[Stamp][Office of works B4677 18 July 1888]

17th July 1888

Sir,

I am directed by the Secretary of State for War to request that you will have the goodness to state the emoluments which Lieutenant General Augustus Henry Lane Fox-Pitt-Rivers receives in respect of his employment as Inspector of Ancient Monuments in Great Britain, and also the date from which he became entitled to such emoluments.

I have the honor [sic] to be,

Sir,

Your obedient Servant,

[illegible but possibly Thos CB Cave][1]

The Secretary

Office of Works

Notes

[1] Possibly Thomas Cave-Browne-Cave (1835-1924), according to here he was ‘third son of the ninth Baronet, was Deputy Accountant-General of the Army from 1897 to 1900 and a Commissioner of the Royal Hospital Chelsea from 1899 to 1923.’

[Subject] Travelling Expenses of Genl Pitt Rivers

[Memoranda] 

Mr Willis

The last claim for Travelling Exps received from Gen’l Pitt Rivers was for the period to 21 July 1884

JRB

Reserve

H.W.P. 16/9

[Stamp] Office of Works 10695 2 Jun 1884

[Subject] Establishment Uncashed Salary Orders of General Pitt-Rivers Future mode of payment

[Memoranda]

Genl. Pitt-Rivers

The orders issued to you for salary (for £20 in each case) on the 24th April, 24 May & 24th Aug’t 1883 have not been presented at the office of the Paymaster Gen’l for payment. if not so presented & cashed before the expiration of the present month they will lapse.

It might be convenient to you that, in future, all payments to you should be made through your Bankers, if you would like this course adopted perhaps you will be good enough to say so on this paper & to givce their names

J.W.

2/6/84

I have mislaid the 3 orders of the 24 April 24 “May & 24 “August above referred to & should feel much obliged if this & all subsequent orders could be paid to my Bankers Messrs Cox & Co Craig’s Court [1]

A Pitt Rivers

Jun 25 1884

Noted for future payments

J.R.B.

Mr Wilis – 

The outstanding Orders for Salary due to Gen’l Pitt-Rivers for the months of April, May & Aug’t ’83 were cashed on the 28th ult’o

W.W.

9 July 84

B but 

Put by

[illegible initials]

11 July ‘84

Notes

[1] Cox & Co, later known as Cox & Kings, agents and bankers to the British Army. See here and here. The company were at Craig’s Court until 1888.

Orders issued to Gen’l Pitt Rivers uncashed

Sch

98 1144 – 24 April 83

210 2242 24 May

529 5963 24 Aug

Mr Collier asked to cause the words “per Cox & Co” to be added to Genl Pitt Rivers’s name in the Schedules containing above orders

25 June 84

J.W

* I have this day, left at Messrs Cox & Co, Craigs Court, duplicated of the above orders (per Messrs Cox & Co being added) & have explained that the orders should be cashed on or before the 30th instant

WW

26 June ‘84

[Office of Works crested writing paper]

[Stamp] Office of Works 13661 8 Nov 1883

My dear Mitford [1]

I enclose herewith the account of travelling expenses & personal allowance which I conclude may be useful in connection with the other questions relating to my duties which I have referred to you.

Yours ever truly

A Pitt Rivers

[On reverse] Mr Willis

When paid

ABM 

Nov.8.83

Prep’d for payment 

[illegible initials]

13 Nov ‘83

A Div

Put by

[illegible initials]

15 Nov ‘83

?Destroy

Notes

[1] Algernon Bertram Freeman-Mitford (1837-1916) see here. Note, the two men were distantly related through Pitt-Rivers' wife. Secretary at the Office of works from 1874 to 1886.

[Stamp] Office of Works A 2255 31 Jan 1883

[Subject] Establishment

Treasury

Gazetting in Sch B of Office of Inspector of Monuments

[Memoranda]

Noted

[illegible initials]

Mr Woodfall

[illegible initials]

Jan [illegible] 1883

NB

Noted

[illegible initials]

10 Feby’y ‘83

[illegible]

[illegible initials]

15 Feb ‘83

Noted

J.M.

6 Mar ‘83

Extract from London Gazette of 23 Feb. 1883

“The Comm’rs of H.M. Works, &c with the concurrence of the Lords Comm’rs of H.M. Treasury, hereby give notice that the undermentioned office is added to Schedule B of the Order in Council of the 4th of June 1870, viz

in Great Britain

“Treasury Chambers

Jan. 30, 1883”

[Along side] Ent’d J.L. Bk 59 Page 211 

[Treasury Chambers]

30 January 1883

1794/83

[Stamp] Office of Works A 2255 31 Jan 1883

Sir, 

With reference to your Report of the 24th instant (A 17552/ 82) I am directed by the Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury to acquaint you that My Lords have given directions for the insertion of the following notice in the London Gazette viz:--

“The Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Works and Public Buildings, with the concurrence of the Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury, hereby give notice that the undermentioned office is added to Schedule B. of the Order in Council of the 4th of June 1870, viz

Inspector of Ancient Monuments in Great Britain

I have the honour to be,

Sir,

Your obedient Servant,

J.A. Cole

[Service] Establ.

A17552/ 1882

[Drafted by] RB

[insert] ABM [end insert]

[Copied by] [illegible]

[Examined by] RB

[Dispatched by] WHL

[Entered] JLBk [?] 59 Page 117

24 Jan 1883

[To] The Treasury

My Lords,

With reference to your Ldps’ [Lordships] letters No 17877 & 18522 of the 11th, & 22nd of Nov’r last, I beg leave to acq’t [acquaint] your Ldps that [insert] I propose that [end insert] the appt. [appointment] of Genl A. Pitt-Rivers as Inspector of Ancient Monuments for in Great Britain will [insert] shall [end insert] take effect from the 1st instant

The Board see no objection to the proposal made in the last paragraph of the earlier of the letters above quoted, & I shall therefore be obliged by your Ldps’ causing the necessary notice to be inserted in the London Gazette, adding the appointment in question to Schedule B of the Order in Council of teh 4th of June 1870.

I am &c

G.S.L.

[Along side] Ent’d J.L.Bk 58 Page 54

[Treasury Chambers]

22 November 1882

[Stamp] Office of Works A17552 23 Nov 1882

Sir, 

I am directed by the Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury to inform you with reference to Their Lordships’ letter of the 10th instant, that My Lords have been pleased to appoint General A. Pitt-Rivers F.R.S. to be the Inspector of Ancient Monuments for Great Britain under the Act 45/46 Vic, cap 73.

I have the honour to be,

Sir,

Rich’d Grosvenor

The First Commissioners of Works

C.C.P.

[on reverse]

Noted

[illegible initials]

First Commr

From what date is Gen’l Pitt Rivers’ appointment to run? This will affect the action of salary

ABM.

Jan.20.83

From Jan of this year

[illegible] Jan 22

Report to Treasury

RB

Mr Woodfall

Jan.22.83

A.B.M.

[Along side] Ent’d J.L.Bk 57 Page 722

17877/82

[Treasury Chambers]

11th November 1882

[Stamp] Office of Works A17108 13 Nov 1882

Sir,

With reference to your Report of the 1st instant, relating to an appointment of an Inspector under the Ancient Monuments Protection Act, 1882 (45 & 46 Vict. Cap: 73) I am directed by the Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury to acquaint you that My Lords sanction your proposal that an Inspector should be appointed with a Salary of £250 a year, who will be allowed his actual expenses of locomotion when travelling on the public service together with an allowance for personal expenses of £1 for every night of absence from home. Provision for the salary and expenses of this Officer should be made in the estimate for the Office of Works and Public Buildings for the year 1883/4.

My Lords will select a suitable person to hold this appointment and the name of the person selected will be communicated to you in due course.

The duties of the Officer in question will be confined to the ancient Monuments in Great Britain to the exclusion of Ireland.

He will not be required to give his whole time to public service and will not be entitled to Superannuation, and accordingly My Lords propose, if you see no objection to cause a notice to be inserted in the London Gazette adding the Office in question to Schedule B of the Order in Council of the 4th of June, 1870, under the title of “Inspector of Ancient Monuments in Great Britain.

I have the honour to be,

Sir,

Your obedient Servant

Leonard Courtney [1]

The First Commissioner of Works

[on reverse] Noted for Estimates [illegible initials]

Notes

[1] Leonard Courtney, 1st Baron Courtney of Penwith (1832-1918) MP, from 1882 Financil Secretary to the Treasury

[Service] Ancient Monuments act, 1882

A14137/ 1882

Salary of Inspector

[Drafted by] [illegible]

[Copied by] E.M. Dixon

[Examined by] [illegible]

[Dispatched by] [illegible]

[Entered] JJBk [?] 57 Page 641

[insert] ABM [end insert]

1st Nov’r Oct 1882

The Treasury

My Lords,

I beg leave to acknowledge the receipt of Mr. Cole’s letter of the 28th of Sept. last, no. 16087, with reference to the duties & emoluments of the Inspector to be appointed under the Ancient Monuments Act of last session and, in reply, to acquaint your Lordships that the Act contemplates treating the Irish Ancient Monuments separately from those of England & Scotland inasmuch as the Commrs of Works are constituted the guardians of such monuments in England & Scotland [insert] only [end insert] and the Board of Works of Ireland for those in Ireland. [With respect to Ireland I beg leave to point out that already, under the Act for Disestablishing the Church of Ireland, a very considerable number of ancient monuments, (over 630), consisting of ancient buildings, stones, round towers & dolmens, formerly the property of the Church, were handed over to the Board of Works and are under their guardianship and that, for the purpose of their inspection & preservation, an Inspector has been appointed at a salary of £200 p.a. with travelling expenses [insert] expenses of locomotion and in addition [end insert] maintenance at the rate of £1 per day when travelling. As, however, only 18 monuments are scheduled in the Act of last year [insert] the present session [end insert] for Ireland it would seem that the inspection of these additional Monuments and the working of the Act may be ent..sted [word illegible in full] to the Inspector of the Board of Works, without any, or, at all events, with a very small increase of salary.

With reference to England & Scotland I beg leave to point out that 50 monuments are scheduled in the Act with power to add to their number by order in Council, and that the Inspector to be appointed should, in the first year after his appointment, visit all these & put himself in relation to their owners with a view to the monuments being placed under the guardianship of the Act. In future years, however, the Inspector will not be required to visit each monument annually but only at such intervals as may appear to be necessary.

Under these circs. I am of opinion that the person to be selected [insert] for the duties [end insert] should be some eminent archaeologist who would be willing to devote a part of his time to the work but who would not be expected to be continually [insert] continuously [end insert] at this Office, and, in this view, I would propose that the salary should be £250 per ann., with travelling expenses, &c as in the case of the Irish Inspector

I am &c

G.S.L.

A14137/82

ABM [in red pencil]

Write to Treasury in reply to their letter of Sept. 28 that with reference to the duties & emoluments of the Inspector to be appointed under the Ancient Monuments Act of last session that the Act contemplates treating the Irish Ancient Monuments separately from those of England & Scotland inasmuch as the Commissioners of Works are constituted the authority for guardians of such monuments in England & Scotland and the Board of Works of Ireland for those in Ireland – With respect to the Ireland, I am point out that already under the Act for Disestablishing the Church of Ireland a very considerable no of ancient monuments, consisting of ancient buildings, stones, raised towers & dolmens formerly the property of the Church were handed over to the Board of Works and are under their guardianship and that for the purpose of their inspection & preservation an Inspector has been appointed at a salary of 200£ pa with travelling expenses and maint’ce at the rate of 1£ per day when travelling; that inasmuch as only 18 monuments are scheduled in the Act of last year for Ireland I thi it would seem that the guardiansh inspection of these additional monuments might & the working of the Act may be [illegible] to the Inspector of the Board of Works, without any or at all events with a very small increase in salary –

That with reference to England & Scotland point out that 50 monuments are scheduled in the Act with power to add to their numbers by Order in Council, that the Inspector to be appointed should in the first year after his appointment, visit all these & put himself in relation to their owners with a view to the monuments being placed under the guardianship of the Act, but that in future years the Inspector will not be required to visit each monument yearly but only at such intervals as may appear to be necessary

that under these circs. I am of opinion that the person to be selected for the duties should be some eminent archaeologist, who would be willing to devote a part of his time to the work but who would not be expected to do be continuously at this Office –

that in this view I would propose that the salary should be 250£ pa with travelling expenses as in the case of the Irish inspector

GR [posslbly GSL] Oct 31

[Along side] Ent’d J.L.Bk 57 Page 456

[Treasury Chambers]

28th September 1882

[Stamp] Office of Works A14137 29 Sep 1882

Sir,

I am directed by the Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury to inform you that they contemplate the appointment of an Inspector under the “Ancient Monuments Act, 1882”: but before deciding on the salary to be assigned to the post, they would wish to be furnished with a report from you upon the duties and emoluments which in your opinion should be attached to it.

I have the honour to be, 

Sir,

Your obedient Servant,

J.W.Lyle [?]

The First Commissioner of Works

[on reverse] Letter to Treasury

[illegible initials]

1 Nov ‘82

[Printed pamphlet]

[handwritten on top] A14137 / 82

[Stamp] Supplied for the Public Service

Ancient Monuments Protection Act, 1882

[45 & 46 Vict. Ch. 73]

Arrangements of Sections A.D. 1882

Section

1. Short title of Act.

2. Power to appoint Commissioners of Works guardians of ancient monuments

3. Power of Commissioners to purchase ancient monuments.

4. Power to give, devise, or bequeath ancient monuments to Commissioners.

5. Inspectors of ancient monuments.

6. Penalty for injury to ancient monuments.

7. Recovery of penalties

8. Description of Commissioners of Works, and law as to disposition in their favour

9. Descriptions of owners for purposes of Act.

10. Additions to Schedule by Order in Council

11. Definitions.

Schedule, containing List of Ancient Monuments to which Act applies.

[Public.—73.]

[45 & 46 Vict.] Ancient Monuments Protection Act, 1882. [Ch. 73]

Chapter 73.

An Act for the better protection of Ancient Monuments. A.D. 1882

[18th August 1882.]

Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1. Short title of Act. This Act may be cited for all purposes as the Ancient Monuments Protection Act, 1882.

2. Power to appoint Commissioners of Works guardians of ancient monuments. The owner of any ancient monument to which this Act applies may, by deed under his hand, constitute the Commissioners of Works in this Act mentioned the guardians of such monument.

Where the Commissioners of Works have been constituted guardians of a monument, they shall thenceforth, until they shall receive notice in writing to the contrary from any succeeding owner not bound by such deed as aforesaid, maintain such monument, and shall, for the purpose of such maintenance, at all reasonable times by themselves and their workmen have access to such monument for the purpose of inspecting it, and of bringing such materials and doing such acts and things as may be required for the maintenance thereof.

The owner of an ancient monument of which the Commissioners of Works are guardians shall, save as in this Act expressly provided, have the same estate, right, title, and interest, in and to such monument, in all respects, as if the Commissioners had not been constituted guardians thereof.

The expressions “maintain” and “maintenance” include the fencing, repairing, cleansing, covering in, or doing any other act or thing which may be required for the purpose of repairing any monument or protecting the same from decay or injury. The cost of maintenance shall, subject to the approval of Her Majesty’s Treasury, be defrayed from moneys to be provided by Parliament.

3. Power of Commissioners to purchase ancient monuments. The Commissioners of Works, with the consent of the Treasury, may purchase out of any moneys which may for that purpose be from time to time provided by Parliament any ancient monument to which this Act applies, and with a view to such purchase the Lands Clauses Consolidation Acts shall be incorporated with this Act, with the exception of the provisions which relate to the purchase and taking of lands otherwise than by agreement. In construing the said Lands Clauses Consolidation Acts for the purposes of this Act, this Act shall be deemed to be the special Act, and the Commissioners of Works shall be deemed to be the promoters of the undertaking.

4. Power to give, devise, or bequeath ancient monuments to Commissioners. Any person may by deed or will give, devise, or bequeath to the Commissioners of works all such estate and interest in any ancient monument to which this Act applies as he may be seised or possessed of, and it shall be lawful for the Commissioners of Works to accept such gift, devise, or bequest if they think it expedient so to do.

5. Inspectors of ancient monuments. The Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury shall appoint one or more inspectors of ancient monuments, whose duty it shall be to report to the Commissioners of Works on the condition of such monuments, and on the best mode of preserving the same, and there may be awarded to the inspectors so appointed such remuneration and allowance for expenses, out of moneys provided by Parliament, as may be determined by the Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury.

6. Penalty for injury to ancient monuments. If any person injures or defaces any ancient monument to which this Act applies, such person shall, on summary conviction, be liable, at the discretion of the court by which he is tried, to one of the following penalties; (that is to say,)

(1.) To forfeit any sum not exceeding five pounds, and in addition thereto to pay such sum as the court may think just for the purpose of repairing any damage which has been caused by the offender; or,

(2.) To be imprisoned with or without hard labour for any term not exceeding one month.

The owner of an ancient monument shall not be punishable under this section in respect of any act which he may do to such monument, except in cases where the Commissioners of Works have been constituted guardians of such monument, in which case the owner shall be deemed to have relinquished his rights of ownership so far as relates to any injury or defacement of such monument, and may be dealt with as if he were not the owner.

7. Recovery of penalties Offences and penalties under this Act shall be prosecuted and recovered in manner provided by the Summary Jurisdiction Acts.

The expression “Summary Jurisdiction Acts”—

(1.) As regards England, has the same meaning as in the Summary Jurisdiction Act, 1879; and

(2.) As regards Scotland, means the Summary Jurisdiction (Scotland) Acts, 1864 and 1881; and

(3.) As regards Ireland, means, within the police district of Dublin metropolis, the Acts regulating the powers and duties of justices of the peace for such district or of the police of such district; and elsewhere in Ireland, the Petty Sessions (Ireland) Act, 1851, and any Act amending the same.

In England any person aggrieved by any decision of the court acting under the Summary Jurisdiction Acts may appeal to a court of general or quarter sessions.

8. Description of Commissioners of Works, and law as to disposition in their favour. The expression “The Commissioners of Works” means as respects Great Britain the Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Works and Public Buildings, and as respects Ireland the Commissioners of Public Works in Ireland.

Each of the said bodies, that is to say, the Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Works and Public Buildings as respects Great Britain and the Commissioners of Public Works in Ireland as respects Ireland, shall be incorporated by their said names respectively, and shall have perpetual succession and a common seal, and may purchase or acquire by gift, will, or otherwise, and hold without license in mortmain, any land or estate or interest in land for the purposes of this Act; and any conveyance, appointment, devise, or bequest of land, or any estate or interest in land under this Act to either of the said bodies, shall not be deemed to be a conveyance, appointment, devise or bequest to a charitable use within the meaning of the Acts relating to charitable uses. In the case of an ancient monument in Scotland, a duplicate of any report made by any inspector under this Act to the Commissioners of Works shall be forwarded to the Board of Trustees for Manufactures in Scotland, and it shall be the duty of the Commissioners of Works in relation to any such monument, to take into consideration any representations which may be made to them by the said Board of Trustees for Manufactures.

9.  Descriptions of owners for purposes of Act. The following persons shall be deemed to be “owners” of ancient monuments for the purposes of this Act; that is to say,

(1.) Any person entitled to his own benefit, at law or in equity, for an estate in fee, to the possession or receipt of the rents and profits of any freehold or copyhold land, being the site of an ancient monument, whether such land is or not subject to incumbrance:

(2.) Any person absolutely entitled in possession, at law or in equity, for his own benefit, to a beneficial lease of land, being the site of an ancient monument, of which not less than forty-five years are unexpired, whether such land is or not subject to incumbrances; but no lease shall be deemed to be a beneficial lease, within the meaning of this Act, if the rent reserved thereon exceeds one third part of the full annual value of the land demised by such lease:

(3.) Any person entitled under any existing or future settlement, at law or in equity, for his own benefit, and for the term of his own life, or the life of any other person, to the possession or receipt of the rents and profits of land of any tenure, being the site of an ancient monument, whether subject or not to incumbrances in which the estate for the time being subject to the trusts of the settlement is an estate for lives or years renewable for ever, or is an estate renewable for a term of not less than sixty years, or is an estate for a term of years of which not less than sixty are unexpired, or is a greater estate than any of the foregoing estates:

(4.) Any body corporate, any corporation sole, any trustees for charities, and any commissioners or trustees for ecclesiastical, collegiate, or other public purposes, entitled at law or in equity, and whether subject or not to incumbrances, in the case of freehold or copyhold land, being the site of an ancient monument, in fee, or in the case of leasehold land, being the site of an ancient monument, to a lease for an unexpired term of not less than sixty years.

Where any owner as herein-before defined is a minor, or of unsound mind, or a married woman, the guardian, committee, or husband, as the case may be, of such owner, shall be the owner within the meaning of this Act; subject to this proviso, that an married woman entitled to her separate use, and not restrained from anticipation, shall for the purposes of this Act, be treated as if she were not married. Every person deriving title from any ancient monument from, through, or under any owner who has constituted the Commissioners of Works the guardians of such monument shall be bound by the deed executed by such owner for that purpose; and where the owner of any land, being the site of an ancient monument, is the tenant for life, or in tail, or heir of entail in possession in Scotland, having a power of sale over such land, either under the terms of a will or settlement, or under an Act of Parliament, any deed executed by such owner in respect of the land, being such site as aforesaid, of which he is so tenant for life or in tail, shall bind every succeeding owner of any estate or interest in the land.

10. Additions to Schedule by Order in Council. Her Majesty may, from time to time, by Order in Council declare that any monument of a like character to the monuments described in the Schedule hereto, shall be deemed to be an ancient monument to which this Act applies, and thereupon this Act shall apply to such monument in the same manner in all respects as if it had been described in the Schedule hereto.

An Order in Council under this section shall not come into force until it has lain for forty days before both Houses of Parliament during the Session of Parliament.

11. Definitions. The following expressions shall, except in so far as is inconsistent with the tenour of this Act, have the meaning herein-after assigned to them; (that is to say,)

The word “settlement” includes any Act of Parliament, will, deed, or other assurances whereby particular estates or particular interests in land are created, with remainders or interests expectant thereon:

“Lands Clauses Consolidation Acts.” 8 & 9 Vcit, c. 18, 8 & 9 Vict. c.19. The expression Lands Clauses Consolidation Acts, 1845, and other Acts amending the same; and as respects Scotland, the Land Clauses Consolidation (Scotland) Act, 1845, and any Act amending the same; and as respects Ireland, the Lands Clauses Consolidation Acts, 1845, and the Acts amending the same, so far as respects Ireland:

“Ancient Monuments to which Act applies.” The expression ancient monuments to which Act applies” means the monuments described in the Schedule hereto, and any other monuments of a like character of which the Commissioners of Works at the request of the owners thereof may consent to become guardians; and “ancient monument” includes the site of such monument and such portion of land adjoining the same as may be required to fence, cover in, or otherwise preserve from injury the monument standing on each site, also the means of access to such monuments.

The Schedule

List of Ancient Monuments to which Act applies

England and Wales

NB see here where these sites are listed and linked to location etc

County

Parish

The tumulus and dolmen, Plas Newydd, Llandedwen, Anglesea.

Anglesea [sic].

Llandedwen

The tumulus known as Wayland Smith's Forge, Ashbury, Berkshire.

Berkshire

Ashbury

Uffington Castle

Berkshire

Uffington

The stone circle known as Long Meg and her Daughters, near Penrith,

Cumberland

Addingham

The stone circle on Castle Rigg, near Keswick,

Cumberland

Crosthwaite

The stone circles on Burn Moor

Cumberland.

St. Bees

The stone circle known as The Nine Ladies, Stanton Moor

Derbyshire

Bakewell

The tumulus known as Arborlow

Derbyshire

Bakewell

Hob Hurst's House and Hut, Baslow Moor

Derbyshire

Bakewell

Minning Low

Derbyshire

Brassington

Arthur’s Quoit, Gower

Glamorganshire

Llanridian

The tumulus at Uley

Gloucestershire

Uley

Kits Coty House

Kent

Aylesford

Danes Camp

Northamptonshire

Hardingstone

Castle Dykes

Northamptonshire

Farthingston

The Rollrich [sic] Stones

Oxfordshire

Little Rollright

The Pentre Evan Cromlech

Pembrokeshire

Nevern

The ancient stones at Stanton Drew

Somersetshire

Stanton Drew

The chambered tumulus at Stoney Littleton, Wellow

Somersetshire

Wellow

Cadbury Castle

Somersetshire

South Cadbury

Mayborough, near Penrith

Westmoreland

Barton

Arthur’s Round Table, Penrith

Westmoreland

Barton

The group of stones known as Stonehenge

Wiltshire

Amesbury

Old Sarum

Wiltshire

------

The vallum at Abury, the Sarcen stones within the same, those along the Kennet Road, and the group between Abury and Beckhampton

Wiltshire

Abury

The long barrow at West Kennet, near Marlborough

Wiltshire

West Kennet

Silbury Hill

Wiltshire

Abury

The Dolmen (Devil’s Den), near Marlborough

Wiltshire

Fyfield

Barbury Castle

Wiltshire

Ogboume, St. Andrews, and Swindon

Scotland

County

Parish

The Bass of Inverury

Aberdeenshire

Inverurie

The vitrified fort on the Hill of Noath

Aberdeenshire

Rhynie

The pillar and stone at Newton-in-the-Garioch

Aberdeenshire

Culsalmond

The circular walled structures called "Edin’s Hall," on Cockburn Law

Berwickshire

Dunse

The British walled settlement enclosing huts at Harefaulds in Lauderdale

Berwickshire

Lauder

The Dun of Dornadilla

Sutherlandshire

Durness

The sculptured stone called Suenos Stone, near Forres

Elgin, Sutherlandshire

Rafford

The cross slab, with inscription, in the churchyard of St. Vigeans

Forfarshire

St. Vigeans

The British forts, on the hills, called "The Black and White Catherthuns."

Forfarshire

Menmuir

A group of remains and pillars, on a haugh at Clava on the banks of the Nairn

Inverness

Croy and Dalcross

The Pictish Towers at Glenelg

Inverness

Glenelg

The Cairns, with chambers and galleries partially dilapidated

Kirkcudbrightshire

Minnigaff

The Catstane, an inscribed pillar

Linlithgow

Kirkliston

The Ring of Brogar and other stone pillars at Stennis in Orkney, and the neighbouring pillars

Orkney

Firth and Stennis

The Chambered mound of Maeshowe

Orkney

Firth and Stennis

The stones of Callernish

Ross

Uig

The Burgh of Clickanim

Shetland

Sound

The Pictish tower at Mousa in Shetland

Shetland

Dunrossness

The inscribed slab standing on the roadside leading from Wigton to Whithorn and about a mile from Whithorn

Wigtonshire

Whithorn

Two stones, with incised crosses, on a mound in a field at Laggangairn

Wigtonshire

New Luce

The pillars at Kirkmadrine

Wigtonshire

Stoneykirk

Ireland

County

Parish

Barony

The earthern enclosure and mounds called the Navan Fort

Armagh

Eglish

Armagh

Stone monuments and groups of sepulchral cists in Glen Maulin

Donegal

Glencolumbkille

Banagh

The earthern and stone inclosure known as Grimm of Aileach

Donegal

Burt

West Innishowen

The earthen inclosure and Cromlech called the Giant's Ring near Ballylessan

Down

Drumbo

Upper Castlereagh

The earthern fort at Downpatrick (Dunkeltair)

Down

Downpatrick

Leoale

Stone structure called Staigue Fort

Kerry

Kilcrogham

Dunkerron

The earthern mound at Greenmount

Kerry

Kilsaren

Ardee

The stone monument at Ballyna

Mayo

Kilmoremoy

Tyrawly

Cairns and stone circles at Moytura

Mayo

Cong

Kilmaine

The tumuli, New Grange, Knowth and Dowth

Meath

Monknewton and Dowth

Upper Slane

The earthworks on the hill of Tara

Meath

Tara

Skreen

The earthworks at Teltown (Taltin)

Meath

Teltown

Upper Kells

The earthworks at Wardstown (Tlaghta)

Meath

Athboy

Lune

The two central tumuli on the hills called Slieve Na Calliagh

Meath

Loughcrew

Fore

The Cairn at Heapstown

Sligo

Kilmacallan

Tirerrill

Sepulchral remains at Carrowmore. The cairn called Miscaun Mave or Knocknarea

Sligo

Kilmacowen

Curbury

The cave containing Ogham inscribed stones at Drumloghan

Waterford

Stradbally

Decies without Drum

The stone monument called the Catstone and the cemetery on the hill of Usnagh

Westmeath

Killare

Rathconrath

Box 3/1/2

Copy

The National Trust

1 Great College Street

Westminster, London, S.W.

Jan. 8th, 1897.

The Secretary of Her Majesty’s Public Works,

12 Whitehall Place, S.W.,

Sir,

I am desired by my Committee to draw your attention to the wanton destruction of prehistoric remains at Sherburton Common, Dartmoor, and in particular of the Ancient Stone Avenue at Bel Tor, by [insert] road [end insert] contractors. Such monuments are numerous in this part of Devonshire, and my Committee would be glad to learn whether Her Majesty’s First Commissioner would be likely to see his way towards entering into co-operation with owners to bring such monuments within the scope of the Ancient Monuments Protection Act, 1882.

I have, Sir, the honour to remain,

Yours faithfully,

Lionel Curtis

Secy.

These monuments are not in the schedule to the Ancient Monuments Protection Act, but they seem to be of a class which might be brought within the operation of the Act by order in Council, and taken in charge by the Board with the consent of the owners whoever they may be.

H.J.H. Jan 9/97

General Pitt-Rivers,

For observations.

R.L. 10 Jan. 1897.

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo