Pitt Rivers Museum Pitt-Rivers papers Box 1

Transcriptions of correspondence held in Box 1, Pitt-Rivers papers, Pitt Rivers Museum

See here for introduction

Box 1

Berwickshire

Box 1/ B3

[On blue paper, copy letters][1]

Services – Ancient Monuments

A 14235 / 1882

Subject: Guardianship of Ancient Monuments in Berwickshire

Drafted by CHW [or HW]

Copied by F Wilson

Examined by CHW [or HW]

Dispatched by G.W.D.

Entred L. WR 14/ Page 156

To D. M. Home Esq [2]

Convenor of Berwickshire

Milne Graden

Coldstream.

Sir,

With reference to your letter of the 27th ult. relative to the guardianship of various Ancient Monuments in the County of Berwickshire, I am directed to acquaint you that no appointment has yet been made of an Inspector under the Ancient Monuments Protection Act 1882 but that any communication addressed to this office will receive attention.

I am &c

N.J.C.

[On outside of folded paper] A.M.P.A. Guardianship of Ancient Monuments in County of Berwickshire

Office of Works

A 14235

30 Sep. 1882

Ancient Monuments

Convenor for Berwickshire

as to Monuments in his County

[Memoranda]

Ackt. form sent

[illegible] 2.10.82

To inform him that no appointment had yet been made of an Inspector, but any communication addressed to this office will receive attention

[illegible] Oct 7

Letter to Mr Home

[illegible] 9 Oct 82

I have informed W.D. Milne Home that I shall be happy to receive any proposals from him relative to the guardianship of Ancient Monuments in Berwickshire

A Pitt-Rivers

Lt. General

Inspector of Ancient Monuments

Nov. 21 1883.

Copy

Milne Graden

Coldstream

Sept 27. 1882

Sir

Under the Act for Ancient Monuments Protection recently passed, it is stated that Ancient Monuments in Scotland may be reported on to the Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Works and Public Buildings as deserving of this Guardianship.

Have the goodness to inform me to what officer, a proposal has to be sent with that view as in the county of which I am convenor, there are several ancient monuments of that character

I remain Sir

Yr obed: Servant

David Milne Home

Convenor of Berwickshire

[on outside] ‘Inspector to D. Milne Home Esq 21. Nov 83

Copy

Rushmore

Salisbury

21 Nov. 83

Lieut General Pitt Rivers presents his compliments to D.M. Home Esq, and begs to say in reply to his letter of Sept 27 1882, which has been referred to him from the Office of Works, that he will be happy to receive any proposals relative to the protection of Ancient Monuments in the County of Berwickshire, with a view to these being placed under the Ancient Monuments Protection Act

------

[headed paper] Milne Graden / Coldstream

Nov 23/ 83

Sir

My letter to which you refer is of so old a date, that I have no recollection of its contents.

In this County there are two Monuments, well worthy of protection.

One is Edins Hall [3], mentioned in the Schedule to the Act; of which full accounts have lately been published; -  and if you wish it, I can send to you the name of the publication.

The other is a pillar of stone, on a farm called “Crop...” [illegible] in the parish of E... [illegible] When I last saw it, it was exposed to ill treatment by the children of Farm Cottage adjoining

I then applied to the Marquis of Tweeddale on whose property it is, for a strong iron railing to be put round it. He was then in his last illness, & I understand gave directions to his Factor to have a Railing put up [4]

This was about 10 years ago. I have not been or heard of it since except that it remains in the same unprotected state

I do not suppose that the present Marquis knows any thing about it. [5]

If you would have the kindness to explain to me what your powers are, under the Act, and what further information you require, I will be happy to supply it, if I can

I remain, Sir

Yr obed’t servant

David Milne Home

Lieut General Pitt Rivers

Rushmore

Salisbury

Notes

[1] The locations of the original letter from Pitt-Rivers dated 9 October 1882, or the letter from David Milne Home dated 27 September 1882 are unknown.

[2] David Milne-Home (1805-1890), Scottish advocate, landowner, geologist and meteorologist(see here). 

[3] Pitt-Rivers visited this site as Inspector in August 1884, see 2012.79.1.76 (a sketch of the entrance to the Hall, by W.S. Tomkin, part of an album ‘Our Ancient Monuments’, held by the Pitt Rivers Museum)

[4] Probably Arthur Hay, 9th Marquess of Tweeddale (1824-1878) soldier and ornithologist. See here.

[5] Probably William Montagu Hay, 10th Marquess of Tweeddale (1826-1911), landowner and politician. See here.

--------------------------------------------

Badbury Rings

Box 1/ B4

[Badbury Rings]

Rushmore

Salisbury Feb 3 1887

Dear Mr Banks [1]

I enclose you a copy of the Ancient Monuments Act. I think you are quite right to put Badbury under it as you will see by the preface which is official that it does not interfere with rights of property or establish any right of way but it is certainly one of the most important camps in the county & ought to be dedicated to posterity. When I receive a letter from you to that effect I will [illegible] ask the Office of Works & [2 words illegible] receive a form for your signature

Yours very truly

A Pitt Rivers

[Badbury Rings]

[Kingston Lacy / Wimborne]

8th Feby.

Dear General Pitt Rivers

Thank you so much for sending a copy of the Ancient Monuments Act I have only just returned here & received it so have not had time to read it through carefully yet – I am not starting off again so will not decide in a hurry about placing Badbury under the act With kindest regards

Believe me

Yrs very truly

Ralph Bankes

Notes

[1] [Walter] Ralph Bankes, 1853-1904, the owner of Kingston Lacy estate (which included this monument)

------------------------------------------------

Barbury Castle

Box 1/ B7

[4 Grosvenor Gardens S.W.]

June 17th 1884

Your Grace

In conformity with your wish that I should put in writing the subject of my verbal communication on Saturday last I now write to enquire whether it is your wish to place that part of Barbury Castle in Wiltshire which is on your property under the protection of the Ancient Monuments Act. The earthworks are at present in good preservation and it is the object of the act to secure them being handed down to posterity in the same condition

I have the honour to be

Your most obedient servant

A Pitt Rivers

Lt General

His Grace

The Duke of Marlborough [1]

--------

Copy of letter to Duke of Marlborough on Barbury Castle [2]

[4 Grosvenor Gardens, S.W.]

June 17th 1884

Your Grace

In conformity with your wish that I should put in writing the subject of my verbal communication on Saturday last I now write to enquire whether it is your wish to place Barbury Castle part of that part of Barbury Castle in Berkshire [insert] Wiltshire [end insert] which is on your property under the protection of the Ancient Monuments Act. The earthworks are at present in good preservation and it is the object of the act to secure them being handed down to posterity in the same condition

I have the honour to be

Your most obedient servant

A Pitt Rivers

Lt General

---------

[Estates Office / Blenheim Palace / Woodstock]

2nd July 1884

Sir

I am requested by the Duke of Marlborough to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 17th ulto: With respect to the request contained therein I must ask you to allow the matter to remain over for a short time as negotiations are now on foot for disposing of the property.

I am Sir

Your obedt sevt

C.H. Waldon [3]

--------

Lt Genl A Pitt Rivers

Her Majesty’s Office of Works

Whitehall Place

[Overtown, Swindon]

June 25th 84

Dear Sir

I am very much obliged to you for the trouble you took with the sand from the Hill close to Barbury Castle.

My mother’s agent has been communicated with as to the Castle being placed under the Act and upon seeing his reply I will at once write to you

Believe me dear Sir

Yrs truly

Henry Kemble [4]

----------

[Barbury Castle]

[Overtown, Swindon]

July 3rd 84

My dear Sir

Mrs Kemble has written to me this morning to say that after considering the matter very fully she would prefer not having her portion of Barbury Castle placed under the act of 1882.

With kind regards

Believe me

Yrs truly

Henry Kemble

General Pitt Rivers

------------

[Barbury Castle]

Clyffe Vicarage

Wootton Bassett

Sept 8 1896

[Ansd Sept 10/96]

Dear Gen Pitt Rivers

Can you tell me whether Barbury Castle is under the Ancient Monuments Act. Part of it has recently been sold, I think it belong prevly [?previously][sic] to Mr Kemble – and now to a Mr Thomas [5] – by whose consent I suppose rubble is at this moment being dug in the outer Bank and Ditch – a scar having been cut in the inner Bank. This .. [illegible] they ought not to go on if we can in any way stop it

I am

faithfully yours

Ed. H. Goddard [6]

Notes

[1] George Charles Spencer-Churchill, 8th Duke of Marlborough (1844-1892) see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Spencer-Churchill,_8th_Duke_of_Marlborough

[2] This appears to be the draft copy of the same letter as the first, which appears to be a clean, amended copy

[3] Possibly Charles?

[4] Henry Kemble (1852-1893) Estate agent, and JP, of Overton or Overtown, Swindon [Listed on page 13 of Alumni Cantabrigienses: A Biographical List of All Known Students ..., Volume 2.

[5] Henry Kemble (who presumably inherited the castle from his mother, died in 1893 so presumably the castle was passed to his eldest son, Henry Maule Kemble (1877-1948) who must have sold it to Mr Thomas.

[6] Reverend Edward Hungerford Goddard, member of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society. Religious, Natural Historian, Amateur, Archaeologist. Clubs: Society of Antiquaries, Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History. He donated material to the Pitt Rivers Museum.

--------------------------------------------------

Coldrum

Box 1/ C1

19 May 92

To Lt Genl Pitt Rivers F.R.S. &c

Sir

Could you go to Coldrum [1] with me one day next week or the week after? If you will kindly fix the date & come by the 10 a.m. train from Victoria to Chatham. I can see to the rest. We can then drive from here it is only 10 miles. I have asked two or three friends to join us, Gelt Goodenough who is in command here, Col French the Director of the Artillery College at Woolwich & Mr Leveson-Gower They are all looking forward to the day. Trusting you are well.

I remain

Yours obedly

George Payne [3]

-------------

Copy (July 11/99) [sic]

Extract from G.P.’s letter to the Genl: Nov. 11, 1889 [sic]

“Have you seen the Megaliths at Coldrum? There are 34 lying together, 15 in a circle, a dolmen with the capstone broken and lying between the upright stones; the rest scattered around. It is a remarkable group. I intend interviewing the owner to try and get him to cut down the straw which hides the stones.”

[Crest]

The Precinct

Rochester

July 30/ 91

To Lt Genl Pitt-Rivers F.R.S. &c

Sir

When shall you be able to go to Coldrum? I should be so glad if you could manage it within a week or two. You could come down to Chatham by a fast train in the morning then we could drive direct from threre. Any day you fix will do for me & I hope it will suit Genl Goodenough and Mr Leveson Gower

Yr’s [sic] obed’ly

George Payne

[Coldrum Anc. Mons]

9 Sep 1891

Sir

I was very glad to get your letter. I was with Genl Dawson-Scott [4] on Saturday and asked if he would arrange for one of the R.E. officers to survey Coldrum for us & he readily consented to do so, this will therefore do away with the necessity of your bringing an assistant. I should be thankful to get the matter closed while the “iron is hot,” when convenient, as I want to get on with Richboro’ and I might require money for Coldrum first

Yours obedly

George Payne

---------

[Ansd Sept 8/91]

[Crest]

The Precinct

Rochester

Aug 27. 91

Sir

You will be pleased to hear that I have obtained the consent of both owner and tenant of Coldrum to place the dolmen & cromlech there under the Anc. Mon Act – Yesterday I made all arrangements with the tenant on the spot & he agreed to all I suggested. I have been expecting to hear from you but hope that you will be able to come down in a few days to visit the remains with me. In my last letter I gave you the best train to come to Chatham by – Kindly give me a little notice as I promised Genl Goodenough, Col French & Mr Leveson Gower that they should have the chance of joining us. I shall require to know how far the Government will go in the matter of money for fending clearing & strengthening Coldrum, as if they will not supply enough funds I can get the remainder. As I am the only man living who has ever troubled about Coldrum I am anxious to do the thing properly & shall be glad to help in any way in my power.

Yrs’ [sic] obedly

George Payne

-----------

[Ansd June 18/94]

[99, Linden Gardens, Bayswater. Station, Notting Hill Gate.]

June 16th 1894

My dear Sir,

I venture to bring to your notice the fact that “Coldrum Lodge” is very much in need of proper care Many of the stones have fallen over the bank to the Eastward, & unless something is done the upright stones facing to N.E. will probably come down. Rodents too help in the demolition of this most valuable monument of the past. A couple of pieces of bone (about which I have not yet had an opinion) which I found partly beneath the surface, just under the upright stones, I have given to Mr Francis Galton. [5] Road makers have made away with the avenue of stones from Rospith Hill (near Ightham) [insert] towards Blue Bell Hill [end insert]; [6] & I know your interest in the remains of the remains [sic] of the stone circles etc. to be so great that I at once adopt Mr Galton’s suggestion to communicate with you for the sake of the preservation of Coldrum Lodge. Every demolishing influence cannot be put away & last year a steam roller ran away & nearly knocked down “Kits Coty House”, but ordinary care can of course be taken & such is all that is needed in respect of Coldrum Lodge.

I am &c

Yours truly

Fred. Fawcett. [7]

Genrl Pitt Rivers F.R.S.

Notes 

[1] Coldrum, a megalithic longbarrow in Kent near West Malling.

[2] Probably William Howley Goodenough (1833-1898) of the Royal Artillery, Colonel French cannot be identified, and Granville William Gresham Leveson-Gower (1838–1895)? According to http://theweald.org/N10.asp?Nid=2637  Granville William Gresham Leveson-Gower was born on 25th February 1838 at Titsey Place, Oxted, the eldest son of William Gresham Leveson-Gower and Emily Josephine Eliza Leveson-Gower nee Doyle. Granville's grandfather William had married Katherine Maria Gresham in 1804 and she inherited the Titsey estate which had been in the Gresham family since 1534. Granville became the squire of Titsey through most of the second half of the nineteenth century. He built St. James's Church at Titsey and considerably remodelled the house and the garden, continuing the work begun by his grandfather William in the 1820s. He decorated the house with the heraldry of the Gresham, Leveson and Gower families and over a twelve year period compiled the Genealogy of the Family of Gresham, privately printed in 1883. He was an enthusiastic historian and archaeologist, a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries who wrote many papers on local history and excavated two Roman sites on the Titsey Estate. He was also active in public life, sitting for many years as MP for Reigate. He married Sophia, daughter of Lord Leigh of Stoneleigh Abbey and raised a large family of fifteen children.

[3] George Payne (1848-1920), member of the Kent Archaeological Society and disciple of Charles Roach Smith. Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries. Director of Rochester Museum.

[4] Lieutenant-General R.N. Dawson-Scott Royal Engineers

[5] Sir Francis Galton (1822-1911) Biostatistician, human geneticist and eugenist, see http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/33315

[6] I cannot identify Rospith Hill site

[7] Frederick Fawcett (1853- )worked for the police service in India and was an amateur archaeologist see http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Indian_Biographical_Dictionary_(1915)/Fawcett,_Frederick.

-----------------------------------------------------

Whithorn (see also Photograph database 2012.79.1.99-101, 106-7.) & Kirkmadrine (see also photos database 2012.79.1.102)

Box 1/ M2

[Crest]

The Airlour,

Whanphill,

NB

24 Oct. 1888

My dear General Rivers

I agree with you that the “Peter’s Stone” [1] should go to the Priory Ruins and be [illegible] there with the other relics.

It was proposed to do so some years ago and at that time, I objected because I believed then that it stood on the original site and marked some boundary or chapel. Since then I have ascertained that of it formerly stood on an adjacent farm and was removed in process of agricultural improvement.

I will see and get it done.

I am glad to say that in pro...ing [word illegible] it to be the only stone with the [symbol] attached to the upper limb of the cross. The three crosses at Kirkmadrine, which I think you took under your protection two years ago, have each the same characteristic. Mr. M. Stewart [2] M.P. is now having these protected by a shelter erected under the competent direction of Mr. Wm. Galloway, the best archaeological architect for early Christian remains with which I am acquainted.

A Royal Commission? Hum; I am afraid I cannot move in that, as the Treasury think we have had too many already, but if Sir John Lubbock will do so, he will have my hearty concurrence I will talk with him anon.

I am

Yours very truly

Herbert Eustace Maxwell [3]

----------------------

Box 1/ G1

I w’d bring plans & elevations of tenement with me

Whithorn

Wigtownshire

April 11th 1892

Dear Sir,

It is with much pleasure I have received your favour of Saturday, and am sorry to learn you have been so unwell and trust you are now quite convalescent.

I have of late been fully intending to go up to London and if necessary to Salisbury, to consult with you as to the state of matters both here and at Kirkmadrine it being necessary at both places that we should have the benefit of your kind advice and decision.

In our previous correspondence [insert] I mentioned [end insert] that the Marquis of Bute [4] had become proprietor of a small tenement & garden immediately adjoining the Churchyard, and that if matters could be satisfactorily arranged between his Lordship and the Board of Works, this would be out of sight, the best place for the preservation and exhibition of the monuments now under the charge of the Board as well as for other things.

Altho the tenement is only about 160 years old his Lordship is very pleased to own it and I dont think he would be at all agreeable to surrender the property.

All the same the H... [illegible] who still regard themselves as interested in the Monuments, would not be at all willing that they should be located under a private roof and some expressions of opinion have been made that way already. It would perhaps be too great a stretch of generosity to ask the Marquis to hand the building over to the [same illegible word] but perhaps some arrangement could be come to between his Lordship and the Board of Works by which the building should be for all time under its guardianship as a Museum.

At Kirkmadrine [5] the Chapel and alcove are practically completed but under great difficulty and delay due to Mrs Stewarts [6] persistent efforts to arrest the building at some stage or other, and make it an imitative ruin.

The stones would have been in their places, and all closed in, were it not that she positively stopped the work of forming a low retaining wall to carry a railing, and so enclose the precincts of the alcove, against mischievous [insert] persons [end insert] and what is equally necessary against burials. Matters like these are however much better gone into personally. Various matters detain me here at present, but if you return to Rushmore from London, I could see you there after the holiday

Yours most truly W. Galloway [7]

----------

Box 1/ G1

3 Chiswick Place

High Road, Chiswick

May 6th 1892

Dear Sir,

I have got thus far on my way South, and if convenient for you purpose leaving on Monday 9th and would arrive at Tisbury [8] per afternoon train, and so make my way to Rushmore.

I have just received from Mrs Stewart a statement and sketch of what she proposes as to the fencing in of the alcove so that we will have something definite for consideration. The monuments would thus be in so far protected, but the precincts of the alcove would be left entirely open to the grave-digging propensities of Dick, Tom, and Harry.

Mr. and Mrs Stewart entirely forgot that we have to arrange not for a few years, but for the exigencies of all of the time, and no spot can be secured from the possibility of being used sometime or other for interment excepting a definite enclosure.

Trusting that the above arrangements may be agreeable to you.

I am

Yours most truly

W. Galloway

General Pitt-Rivers

Rushmore, Salisbury

----------

Box 1/ G1

[Galloway]

Salisbury

May 11th 1892

Dear Sir,

As I should be moving about here for a few days seeing Amesbury Stonehenge, Old Sarum &c &c. I forgot to mention that if by chance any letters should be directed to me at Rushmore I will be much obliged if they be redirected to the Post Office here, to lie till called for.

There may be some and trust you will kindly excuse this trouble.

I find that the cream coloured drapery you spoke of for lining of tent-roof is called “Ecru” and is to be had here (David Stevens) in 30 inch breadth, at 63/4d per yard or less taking piece. This is straight edged, and without bordering, and thus more suitable for joining together, than that I made with scolloped or wavy edges for draping windows

The drive was most delightful this morning. The weather glorious in every respect save for the parched ground and sharp frost I believe there was last night. I do trust we have some genial and refreshing rains, or it will be fine weather at the wrong time.

I do trust also you may have your health again thoroughly re-established, and with many thanks for all your kindness, of which I shall ever retain a most agreeable remembrance

I am

Yours most truly

William Galloway

General Pitt Rivers

Rushmore

Salisbury

-----------

Box 1/ G1

[Ansd July 2/92]

3 Chiswick Place

High Road, Chiswick

London June 29th 1892

Dear Sir,

Being again in town for a short time I called at No 4 Grosvenor Gardens [9], but found you are not expected to return this season. I was anxious to learn somewhat as to the Memorandums you were so kind as mention that you would favour us with as to that trouble some Kirkmadrine and the much more manageable Rend House at Whithorn. I am extremely sorry so to trouble you but I fear Mr and Mrs Stewart will think I am neglecting the work dreadfully, although it was their own fault stopping it.

In such an exposed locality the summer season is our best for getting on.

I think it is a very great pity but we could some way or other get rid of that odious proposition to have an inside grille and in lieu thereof fall back on the original idea of an enclosed railing

I have never had to do with a thing that gave me so much trouble. At Whithorn my advice has been followed in almost everything. At Kirkmadrine it has been obstruction from beginning to end, and that on the most fatuous grounds, of which this objection to an external railing is only one. Trusting you will kindly excuse this trouble I am

Yours most truly

W. Galloway

--------

Box 1/ G1

[Drawings returned Sep. 17/92.]

Whithorn

Wigtonshire, N.B.

Aug. 26th 1892

My dear Sir

I duly received your kind favour of the 2nd ult. and was sorry you could not see your way to intervene especially at Kirkmadrine. I am just going across there tomorrow, to see and get the stones set upon their places. It will require some engineering, as they are of great weight, and in a very contracted space, it will be a dead lift to the top of the bench. We will have to do it I think with block and tackle inside the alcove.

I have just had a note from Sir Mark Stewart [2] and will let him know what you kindly state as to the subsidy.

I have been expecting Mr C.G. Shaw the Marquis of Bute’s factor here, for some time. He had a paralytic stroke in Spring which may make him more wary of moving about. If he does not come soon I will write about the House for the Monuments.

Before getting the stones built into the Alcove at Kirkmadrine I am anxious to have all my drawings of them completed. The two which you have are I think very partially finished. If you could kindly let me have them for a short time I would return them again in a more complete state and with whatever sections you may think desirable.

I have just been or rather am corresponding with Professor George Stephens of Copenhagen [10] about Monuments carved or produced by means of dabbed work or a pick, as is so frequently the case here. He cites the “Rock figure carvings” of the Bronze period as being produced in a similar manner. It is curious [insert] to [end insert] find a distinctively pagan period in Scandinavia working in the same way as an equally distinctive Xian period here.

May I ask what your experience in this way is? Have you found picked or dabbed work elsewhere than here? It really is a question as to tools, chisel or pick. Those who used the pick did not know of the chisel, those who had the latter would not use the other. My address for a short while will be West Carnweill, Sandhead by Stranraer

Yours most truly

W. Galloway

---------

Box 1/ G1

Whithorn

Wigtonshire

Sept 19th 1892

Dear Sir

I am much obliged for the two drawings so kindly forwarded per Mr Gray, [11] and am afraid they would supply very inadequate materials for models. After having got on a certain length at the Chapel, we had to suspend work owing to the entire absorption of labour in harvesting operations.

We however got the two monoliths successfully placed in the alcove without the slightest flaw or accident.

They now show their entire length, save an inch or two, let into the bench They rest on back blocks of freestone, and are bedded on them in Cement so I trust they will require no iron or metal fastenings of any kind.

Before setting them up I took a cast (matrix) in plaster of Paris of the Chi-Rho monogram on back of No. 1 stone as altho’ visible it will not be so easily got at again. I intend also to make casts of the carved parts of the two stones of which you have sent the drawings before they are bedded into the wall of alcove.

Mr Gray informs me you have been making excavations in the Park at Rushmore. [12] I do trust you have found much to reward your labours, and to add to the Collections of which I entertain such agreeable recollections.

I am

Yours most truly

W. Galloway

Rushmore

Salisbury

------------

Box 1/ C4

[49, Lennox Gardens S.W.]

[Crest]

The Airlour,

Whanphill,

Wigtonshire,

6 Sept. 1897.

Dear General Pitt-Rivers,

I want your counsel on the following matter.

The ruined Chapel at the Isle of Whithorn—St Ninian’s Chapel of the Isle [13]—is in danger of falling to pieces altogether, unless something is done to stay the mischief. The interest which we have succeeded in raising for objects of antiquity has this deplorable effect among others -- that it incites idle or curious people to pull [insert] them [end insert] about, [section scored out] either in hopes of finding something or to carry away relics.

Now, of course I am aware that you have no funds to administer under the A.M. Act: what I want to know is this-- Can you sanction the application of a fund which I am collecting to the repairing and preservation of this chapel, which is scheduled under the Act. Lord Bute has contributed £100, and I daresay I can collect £60 or £70 more. I should like to point the walls, replace fallen [insert] or stolen [end insert] stones, and, if possible, put a roof on the building to secure it against further decay.

Will you tell me how we should proceed to obtain your sanction?

Yours very truly

Herbert Maxwell

Notes

[1] Peter’s Stone is at Whithorn, see http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/record/rcahms/63128/whithorn-st-peter-stone/rcahms

[2] Mark Stewart – Mark John MacTaggart-Stewart, 1st Baronet (1834-1923) Tory MP for Kirkcudbrightshire see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_MacTaggart-Stewart.

[3] Herbert Eustace Maxwell (1845-1937) see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Herbert_Maxwell,_7th_Baronet, Scottish novelist and Conservative MP for Wigtownshire from 1880-1906.

[4] Lord Bute, presumably John Patrick Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute (1847-1900)

[5] Kirkmadrine, see http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/propertydetail.htm?PropID=PL_188.

[6] For Stewart involvement at Kirkmadrine, see http://www.gravestonepix.com/contents1a/2010/08/mactaggart-stewarts-of-ardwell/. See also [2] above

[7] William Galloway (1840-1927), mining engineer, ironmaster etc see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Galloway

[8] Tisbury was the nearest railway station to Rushmore, Pitt-Rivers country estate.

[9] 4, Grosvenor Gardens was Pitt-Rivers’ London home.

[10] George Stephens (1813-1895) see http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Stephens,_George_(1813-1895)_(DNB00)

[11] Harold St George Gray, Pitt-Rivers’ secretary.

[12] This is possibly South Lodge Camp, though that was not supposed to hav started until the Spring of 1893?

[13] St Ninians Chapel see http://www.whithorn.com/index.asp. See also photos database 2012.79.1.99 etc

------------------------------------------------------

Box 1/ C5

[Ansd]

[Talygarn, Llantrissant]

16th Jany 1888

Dear General Pitt-Rivers

You are so acute, & at the same time so courteous a critic that I am tempted to write to you upon what you said at Downton [1] when you led the the th [sic] Arch’l Institute last summer. You quote me as of opinion that the works were ‘Pre-Saxon; late Belgic.’ Looking back at my paper on the ‘Earthworks of the Wiltshire Avon’ [2] I see that my words fully justify the sense you ascribe to them, which, nevertheless, I did not so intend. I say ‘Downton belongs to a later age, and at the earliest to a period when the Belgic were no longer invaders but .... stood at bay ... against a more terrible foe than even the B...’ [word illegible]

The fact is I meant to attribute the earlthworks to the Saxons, at the period when they were driving back the Belgic Britons and settling upon the newly conquered territory.

It matters very little what I thought or wrote, but I have always expected the Saxon origin of these moated mounds, from a time when I was almost the only person who said so—It is because I observe that you hold this view that I trouble you with these lines.

I am very glad you spoke at Old Sarum. I wish the Wiltshire Arch. would clear the inner circle & the posten Popeye [?!] and lay down the whole once more in turf, the grain crop on that land, at present prices, cannot be very productive.

I remain

&c &c

very truly yrs

Geo. T. Clark [3]

Maj Genl Pitt Rivers

The old Cathedral foundations are now covered up. ‘Tis a pity they cannot be laid open & little asphalt or [illegible] with brick. This has been done by [2 words illegible] at Cardiff by the [2 words illegible] at [1 word illegible] with great success

------------

[Ansd]

[Talygarn, Llantrissant]

26th Jany 1888

Dear General Rivers

I have just returned from a visit to Cleve Hall [?] & I find your sumptuous and very welcome present, for which many thanks. I have often speculated upon those mixed Roman and British earthworks, and felt sure the truth was to be unfolded by liberal & judicious digging, but I never expected to see means & skill combined as at Rushmore. [4]

The mixed Romano-British period is one of great interest, of which little is known, & much, by digging, might be known. I suppose there was a considerable intermarriage between the soldiers & camp followers and the natives, as there was between the Cromwellians & natives in Ireland, but if or how was it that the mixed breeds did not take more to the stronger & more civilized race? How is it that we have no British masonry, nothing beyond drywalling. Often indeed excellent work, but quite as often earlier than the Roman invasion, or, as in West Ireland, beyond its sway. I can understand a hard people like the Scandinavians preferring timber -- but the Celtic race never used the sea.

I should like to turn your attention to some earthworks which I regard as Romano-British; that is as the work of the Britons after the departure of the Legions; such as Wareham, Tamworth, Wallingford, Cardiff, Hereford [?], and Castle [illegible]

These earthworks are far larger & the ditches certainly deeper than was common with the Romans, who found masonry for large work more economical. Also no considerable Roman remains are found within them. They do not stand on any great Roman ways, & tradition has never suffixed to them the term ‘Cester’.

But in plan they are more or less rectangular, the angles moreover less rounded, they are on low ground, their erections are often in the middle of a side, and they are placed upon the bank of a river, are open or less strongly defended on that side, as was often the Roman practise. Mostly they are placed as for the general defence of a district. For these reasons they seem to me the work of the Britons after the departure of the Romans and when attacked by the Northern Picts and the coast-[word illegible] Scandinavian pirates from them to defend themselves.

In each of the above cases the position was [insert] afterwards [end insert] occupied by the Saxons, & a Moated Mound, evidently an addition, thrown up – also later on the Normans [word illegible] the mount with a [word illegible] keep or built an [word illegible] wall on each of the banks as [illegible] them

I am afraid your sights of Chase [word illegible] entered to Wareham more of these [several words illegible] but my word, I think repay an outlay which from the British, Saxon, or Norman point of view. I read your sketch & the [words illegible] the paper with no such intent for I remember the [words illegible] when the Chase was dis... [word illegible] & I was at school with Beechfield often I [several words illegible]

When your book came I was on the point of dispatching [several words illegible] which now I hesitate to send, lest I should appear to place them in the balance with your greater. I [several words illegible

I remain

[words illegible]

Geo. T Clarke

[apologies for the gaps in comprehension, the writing is very small and very scrawly, it was presumably written in haste but enough is readable to get the sense.]

Notes

[1] Downton Moot see http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/artsheritageandlibraries/museumhistoryheritage/wiltshireandswindonhistoricenvironmentrecord/wshermap.htm?a=d&id=305

[2] Clark (George Thomas). ‘The earthworks of the Wiltshire Avon, Old Sarum, and Downton’. Arch. Journ. xxxii. 290-309.

[3] George Thomas Clark (1809-1898) Surgeon and engineer, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._T._Clark

[4] Presumably Pitt-Rivers had sent him a copy of Pitt-Rivers, A.H.L.F. 1888. Excavations in Barrows near Rushmore. Excavations in the Romano-British village Rotherly. Excavations in Cranborne Chase vol II, Rushmore, Privately printed.

--------------------------------------------------------

Box 1/E2

[Evans]

[Nash MIlls, Hemel Hempstead]

April 10 1891

My dear Pitt-Rivers

You will have heard from Mr Hope that the Memorial as to models was sent in some little time ago and that an acknowledgement of it has been received I have not come across Mr W.H. Smith since it was delivered. I am much of your opinion as to the practical difficulties that may arise if the Ancient Monuments Act were extended to medieval buildings. There are however certain cases in which the Government might well be called on to intervene. There will be no harm in trying to get a declaration of opinion on the matter out of the Treasury.

Shall you be in London on the 23rd [2]

Yours most try [sic, presumably truly]

John Evans

Notes

[1] Possibly William Henry Smith (1825-1891) politician, English bookseller and son of the eponymous chain of shops owner, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Smith_(1825–1891)

[2] Pitt-Rivers was elected vice-President of the Society of Antiquaries, it was this meeting to which Evans was presumably referring? See The Times 25 April 1891.

------------------------------------------------------------

Box 1/ G2

[Baring-Gould Ansd Dec. 5/95]

Low Trenchard

N. Devon

Nov. 30/ 95

Dear Sir

I was this week at S. Germain en Lay[e] going over the Musee des Antiquités materials, [1] after a time in Maine et Loire, Charente and Vienne, planning the dolmens &c. I had a talk with S. Reinach [2] & A. Bertrand [3] the conservator & directors under government, & they expressed to me the great desire they had for the library of the museum to possess your archaeological works, which has long been wanted by them, but which they have been unable to procure. They were shy of writing to you about it, & were much relieved when I undertook to do so, -- as representatives of the Government, they feel not like to ask & meet with a refusal. Do you know the musée, it is magnificent. I have had great help from Messrs Bertrand & Reinach, who have written me an open letter expressing their great interest in the work I am engaged in – planning the dolmens & stone rows & cromlechs (circles) of the French departments, & hoping I may be helped by the officials &c. This letter not only relieves me from annoyance, but gets me great assistance.

I took this month careful plan & measurements of the famous C....ens [illegible] chapel dolmens. Sir H. Dryden [4] & Lukis [5] had already done so, but as I was doing Charente, I could but visit it, & the French archaeologists dispute the carved axes on the capstone Lukis found. They are there but not cut but rubbed I believe with sand & a stick. As to Fergusson’s nonsense about it being a medieval dolmen, it will not hold water. The pillars supporting the huge capstone are composed each of 4 pieces, it would be all but impossible to inject [?] all [illegible]  of each on such slender props; the sides were rein... in the 13th century, one by one, & pillars put in their place. So only could the thing be done. The pillars are not of the same dimensions and there are triggers between abacces [?] and the stone

Yours truly

S. Baring Gould

[Running vertically along central fold] Would you like a sight of my plans? I have the Lot & Corrèze plans the new ones are not yet complete

[2 drawings, one of 2 pillars supporting a horizontal large capstone, and one of a close-up of the join between the pillars and the stone

Notes

[1] St Germain en Laye: its chateau is now home to the Musée d'Archéologie (previously Antiquités) Nationale http://www.musee-archeologienationale.fr

[2] Salomon Reinach (1858-1932) French archaeologist and museum director, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salomon_Reinach

[3] Alexandre Louis Joseph Bertrand (1820-1902) French archaeologit, founder of the "Musée d'Archéologie Nationale" in Saint-Germain-en-Laye, its director until his death in 1902.

[4] Henry Edward Leigh Dryden, (1818-1899) archaeologist and antiquary, see http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/60772.

[5] Reverend William Collings Lukis (1817-1892) he surveyed the megalithic monuments in Brittany

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Glenelg

Box 1/ G3

[Engagements in the country on Friday & Saturday [sic]]

[Royal Bank Buildings, Grantown]

9th Sept 1884

Lieut General Pitt-Rivers

4 Grosvenor Gardens

London S.W.

Dear Sir

Glenelg

I called at the Hotel this morning after I had the pleasure of seeing you, but the Hotelkeeper told me you had not left copy of the Act. Kindly say what you desire with reference to the “monuments” in the little Glen and I will get Mr Baillie’s direction

Yours respectfully

[illegible] Grant

---------

Copy

[Crest]

Rushmore

Salisbury

11 Sept. 84

Dear Sir,

I enclose herewith a copy of the Act with a preface which is official and will explain better than anything the nature of the Act. The Monuments in question are including in the Schedule “Scotland” as the “Pictish Towers of Glenelg”. [1] All it is proposed to do is to place one or two stones round each Monument to define the area placed under the protection of the Commrs [commissioners] of Works. No restoration is contemplated, nor does the Act interfere in any way with ownership or establish any right of way. On hearing from you that Mr Baillie wishes to avail himself of the Act, I will have the usual papers forwarded to you from the Office of Works

Believe me

Yours truly

A. Pitt Rivers

-----------

[Engagements in the country on Friday & Saturday [sic]]

[Royal Bank Buildings, Grantown]

15th Sept 1884

Dear Sir

Glenelg

I sent your note of last week and copy Act to Mr Baillie of Dochfour Proprietor of Glenelg. He writes in reply “In answer to your letters I am quite willing that the Government should take charge of the monuments at Glenelg under the Act.”

I hope this is satisfactory satisfactory [sic] to you

Yours faithfully

[illegible] Grant

Lieut Genl Pitt Rivers

Govmt Inspr of Anct Monuments

4 Grosvenor Gardens

London SW

-------------------

Box 1/ G4

Anc: Mons

Asylum House

Inverness [2]

Oct 7th 1885

Dear General Rivers

I have not lost sight of the object in which you are so interested but since my return Mr Bailey [sic][3] has been from home. The moment, however, he comes back I shall call & lay the matter fully before him. I have since I had the pleasure of seeing you ascertained also that his Grandfather [4] was very much annoyed at injury done to the Towers at Glenelg [1] & this may help a little. At present I suspect it will be better to let the owner of Clava [5] alone as there are a good number of vexed public questions coming up here at present in which he is more interested than in Archaeology. I do not intend, however, to give it up when a more favourable opportunity offers & I hope Lord Rentons agent will be able to carry out his good intentions at Inverurie. [6]

The model of the Solid Wheeled Cart I shall have made the moment I am certain I cannot get a real one. [7] I am going to conduct an excursion on Saturday week, if the weather is fine, to Ab... [illegible] & I may then have something of one to purchase. If out my illegible & I will spend a day in the search & should this not lead to anything I shall have one made after consultation with competent people.

When at Moffat I visited the fort marked on the ordinance map. [8] They run chiefly oval in form [?] & made of mud & Stones though the length you could not call them walls are in some cases being gradually obliterated. There are also “Three Stannin Stanes” on the way to Bulloch [?] which I take to be the remains of a fine Druidual Circle though the only tradition in connection with it is associated with a fight between a brother of the Earl of Moray & some of the adherents of Baliol [sic]

When can I see Mr Bailey I shall write to you at once & with kind regards

I am

Yours very faithfully

Thos Aitken [9]

To

Rushmore

Salisbury

---------

[Answered]

Asylum House

Inverness

21st Oct 1885

Dear General Rivers

I saw the Bruce Baillie [10] yesterday & had a conversation with him about the Towers in Glenelg He seems very favourably inclined as to your notes & perhaps you would forward another Schedule or Form such as you left with Mr Grant. In dong this would you write along with this document further explaining what you desire as I ventured to promise you would do this and I think it would confirm Mr Baillie in his good intentions. If also it was quite convenient would you kindly do this at once in case he might come into contact with any of the proprietors about him who are not inclined to favor [sic] the Act.

I ought to mention that Mr Grant [11] did give Mr Baillie the Schedule but unfortunately he was unacquainted with your address & did not know where to write it

I write this hurriedly so that it may go by the next post & that this matter may not pass out of Mr Baillies mind before he hears from you

I am

Yours very faithfully

Thos Aitken

To

Rushmore

Salisbury

Notes

[1] Brochs, Dun Telve and Dun Troddan see http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/propertydetail.htm?PropID=PL_142

[2] The house of the superintendent at Craig Dunain asylum, Thomas Aitken, see end, see http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/776667/

[3] Not identified

[4] Not identified

[5] Clava, see http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/propertydetail.htm?PropID=PL_067

[6] Lord Renton cannot be identified, the site may be Easter Acquhorthies Stone Circle see http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/smrpub/shire/detail.aspx?refno=NJ72SW0009

[7] This may be an attempt to provide Pitt-Rivers with a model or real solid wheeled Scottish cart for his ethnographic collection, however no such cart is listed in the Cambridge University Library held catalogues of the Pitt-Rivers second collection (this does not definitively mean one was not provided though)

[8] Probably http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/48397/details/coats+hill/

[9] Thomas Aitken, Physician Superintendent at Craig Dunain Asylum, Inverness from 1864 to 1892. See http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/776667/. He was a founder member of the Inverness Scientific Society and Field Club

[10] Possibly James Evan Bruce Baillie (1859-1931) of Dochfour, who was a Unionist MP for Invernessshire from 1895 see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Evan_Bruce_Baillie

[11] Presumably the same Grant who wrote Box 1/ G3?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Box 1/ G6

Durham 29 March 1883

My dear Fox

I will make out a list of some few monuments which I think are of equal if not greater importance than many of those included in the Schedule and will send it you before long.

I am sorry I cannot say much for the Act, but I daresay it is as much at present as could be obtained from Parliament.

All permissive Acts are in my opinion delusions, and I doubt many people will place monuments in the hands of the Commissioners.

We are in the middle of Xmas instead of being past Easter

Yours very truly

W. Greenwell

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Box 1/ H2

[Hadleigh Castle]

2 St James’ Square S.W.

My dear General

The enclosed speaks for itself. I do not know whether anything can be done.

We came up yesterday. The children are much the better for the sea air, but Alice cannot shake off her head aches, which make me rather anxious.

I am

Yours very sincerely

John Lubbock

----------

[this is the enclosed letter with above]

Castle House, Hadleigh, Essex. 24/3/95

Sir,

Unless some steps are immediately taken the Salvation Army people here will seriously impair the existing remains of old Hadleigh Castle. They are now excavating in the bailey and undermining a leaning boundary wall with the intention of using the stones for mending the Colony roads. Nothing is sacred to them—shaped stones and rag stones lie in heaps ready for removal. I am only a Colonel, and do not exactly know whom to move – whether District Council or Archaeological Society – and this must be my apology for troubling you.

Your obedient Servant

Frederic Johnson

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Box 1/ H3

[Answered]

[Hampshire Field Club

Established 1885

Hartley Institution

Southampton]

May 15th 1886

Dear Sir,

If I am not asking too great a favour, it would be of much interest to this Club if you would kindly inform me whether any additions [insert] (relating to this County) [end insert] to the Ancient Monuments Protection Act 1882, have been made under Section 10 of the Act to the Schedule under Section 11? which relating to the County

Last year I had the satisfaction of taking this Club to four Ancient Earthworks in Hampshire viz those on St Catherine’s Hill Winchester, Beacon Hill Highclere, Old Winchester Hill, Meonstoke, & Buckland Rings nr Lymington--& on our visit to Silchester next week – the question of whether the Walls of Silchester are not an Ancient Monument worthy of preservation will arise.

The Original Schedule of the Act of 1882 contains no Hampshire Earthwork  or other Ancient Monuments.

I have visited all or almost all such monuments in this county & I am desirous that the Hampshire Field Club should do what is possible & ensure their preservation.

I am

Dear Sir

Yours very truly

Tho W Shore [1]

Hon Sec

General Pitt Rivers FRS

--------------

[Copy]

[Rushmore, Salisbury]

May 16 86

Dear Sir

I was glad to receive your letter on the subject of Ancient Monuments. I think that a local society can do no better service than yr. endeavouring to [illegible] the list for the preservation of monuments, the machinery now creaks but it can only be worked by persons from without, what we understand as government in this country is a body amenable to pressure. the act as you know relates only at present to prehistoric monuments but there is nothing in it that I can see to prevent Roman or even medieval monuments from being included if the owners wish it and the Commissioners of Works can be induced to accept them. the list as you know is purely permissive [?] and nothing can be done without the owners consent. the owners of monuments as a rule are not archaeologists. they are generally willing to preserve their own monuments themselves & many do so very efficiently but they dislike government interference & they have no inducement to avail themselves of the act. It has not been without much trouble that I have persuaded about half the owners of the scheduled monuments to do so. If the Hampshire Field Club considers any monument in the county to be worthy of protection and will induce the owner to offer it, I shall be very happy to forward the matter [insert] property [end insert] and I have no doubt that with a strong recommendation from a local scientific society it will be done. but the archaeological societies have not been as active in the matter as could be wished.

As regards Silchester I think it would be well worth while endeavouring to preserve the walls & other buildings the Duke of Wellington seems anxious to do what he can [2] but it seems [insert] appears [end insert] to be a [illegible ?function] of cost: the first thing of course would be to obtain his consent & assistance in any thing that is proposed the next thing would be to ascertain where the parts are to come from for ‘covering’ over the ruins, I doubt whether any sufficient funds for this purpose could be obtained from government except under very strong pressure [illegible] to [illegible]. If you threatened to blow up the office of works with dynamite you might be respectfully listened to. I remember [insert] many years ago [end insert] a boastful Englishman saying to a party of visitors at Pompeii “If these ruins [crossed out illegible word] splendid ruins were discovered in England we should build a Crystal Palace over them, That was his theory but our practise is to cover them with mud & I question whether that is not preferable to leaving them open to be [illegible] by the frost & reason they well be [illegible] in that way. for an enlightened posterity [illegible 2 words] such a posterity & they will have the pleasure of making a fresh discovery. If I can be of any assistance in forwarding [illegible] writes for the preservation of monuments at all [3 words illegible][copy letter ends here]

-------------

[Answered]

[Hampshire Field Club

Established 1885

Hartley Institution

Southampton]

May 17th 1886

Dear Sir,

I have to thank you very much for your letter, which I hope I may read at Silchester.

As however we have a representative of the Hampshire Independent who attends our meetings & reports our proceedings I have to ask your permission before reading your letter to the club.

In any case your suggestions will be useful to us, and I hope the club will endeavour to get some of the pre-historic monuments in Hampshire scheduled.

I am

Dear Sir

Yours very truly

Thos W Shore

Hon Sec

General Pitt Rivers FRS

------------------

[Crest]

Copy

4, Grosvenor Gardens

May 25, 1886

Sir,

Should there be any Ancient Monuments in Hampshire which are considered by the Hampshire Field Club to be worthy of protection under the Ancient Monuments Act a copy of which I enclose I should be glad if you would kindly send me a list of them with the name and address of the owners. I will then lay the matter before the Commissioners of Works. It would greatly facilitate matters if you could obtain the consent of the owners to having them placed under the guardianship of the Commrs of Work

Yours truly

A. Pitt Rivers

Lt: General

T.W. Shore Esq

-------------------

[Answered]

[Hampshire Field Club

Established 1885

Hartley Institution

Southampton]

May 26th 1886

Dear Sir,

This Club has addressed a letter to the Duke of Wellington on the subject of Silchester.

Your letter to me was not made public, but at our Silchester meeting some advice you offered as to the preservation of our ancient monuments were mentioned

I am

Dear Sir

Yours very truly

Thos W Shore

Hon Sec

General Pitt Rivers FRS

P.S.

I will place your official letter before our Committee

TWS

Notes

[1] Thomas William Shore, (1840-1905), geologist and antiquary, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_William_Shore and http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/36073. Founder of the Hampshire Field Club

[2] The Duke of Wellington owned the manor of Silchester from 1828, it was eventually sold in 1972.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Box 1/ L1

[15 Lombard Street, E.C.]

30 May

My dear General

I return Mr Stanley’s letter, [1] & never did expect that owner would put their monuments under the Act, though but very few objected to our bill.

I should hardly have thought you required any special authority to report.

Believe me

Yours very truly

John Lubbock

-----------

London

14 Nov 1882

My dear General

I am very glad you have accepted, & hope now that our great National Monuments will suffer nothing more than the natural & inevitable action of time.

I do not know whether anything is settled about the title, but I take the same view as you do.

I believe you would report directly to Lefevre. [2]

Do not be reckless in digging during this weather: you must be careful of yourself as well as of the monuments

Yours very truly

John Lubbock

---------------

[High Elms, Hayes, Kent]

19 Nov 82

My dear General

I send copy of the Act as requested. You can of course get any you want from the Office so will you please return it to me.

I do not know that there would be any means of exempting the Inspector from serving as Sheriff or on Juries.

I hope your son will succeed in West Surrey

Eu, [sic]

Yours most truly

John Lubbock

Notes

[1] This letter is possibly one of the ones listed in Box 2 / S6 or S7. The most likely one is Box 2/ S6 a letter dated 29 May (no year, so it is still not clear which year Lubbock wrote in either) from William Owen Stanley. In the letter Stanley expressed doubt about the worth of the Ancient Monuments Act.

[2] George Shaw Lefevre (1831-1928) see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Shaw-Lefevre,_1st_Baron_Eversley, Commissioner of Works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Box 1/ L2

[4 Grosvenor Gardens, S.W.]

August 9. 88

Dear Sir John

As you have always taken great interest in the Ancient Monuments Act and it was at your request & that of Lord Holbridge [1] that I undertook this work of Inspector, I think that before I resign to [illegible, possibly first or put] it would be desirable that I should meet you & the one or two members of the House of Commons who take an interest in it and point out the changes that it ap... [illegible, not appears] desirable to taken in order to put the act on a proper footing. Mr Plunket [2] & his secretarys do not care about the subject and some of his predecessors have [illegible] & not been nor seen to letter to it & on this acount [sic] I think some of the members of Parliament should put it up. I have covered it on for 6 yrs with some success. & finding my self involved in it I have given [illegible] is in the hope that the work might be altered & much more workable but I find it an exceedingly unpleasant duty certainly the necessity of constantly calling in [illegible] to ask them to do [illegible] that about used to do. It is a thankless task [illegible] seem to serve [illegible] the public or archaeologists on the Government & in the [illegible] sure that not of such value further p... of wants [word illegible from ink blot]

[Note: this letter is extremely difficult to read, there are several ink blotches and it appears to have either been written rapidly in anger or purely as notes for Pitt-Rivers himself. It is clear that a similar letter must have been written and sent to Lubbock that day as we have the reply which reacts to the news of Pitt-Rivers’ resignation—see next letter]

-------------

[Crest]

9 Aug 88

My dear General

I am sorry to hear that you propose to give up the Inspectorship of Ancient Monuments & should be very pleased to meet you & discuss what amendments are required to the Bill.

As you are aware I was never satisfied with it, & did not expect it would have done even as much as it has. That so many monuments have been put under it, I attribute to your tact & energy.

So many men however have now left that I think we can do nothing for the moment, & I think therefore it will be better as you yourself suggest to let the matter stand on until the autumn session.

I am

Yours very truly

John Lubbock

I go down to High Elms tomorrow but shall be at Bath & we might then talk it over.

------------

[Lubbock]

15, Lombard Street, E.C.

9 April 1889

My dear General

I have read the enclosed with I return herewith.

Mr Christison sent me, or rather Mr Turner did, [3] a copy of his letter & I told him I thought he underestimated what had been done in Scotland.

I demur on you know to the 2nd Par, in the fifth page of your letter, but I quite concur that it would be desirable that Local Associations should do more.

Would it not be well to question Plunket as to the delay, & the unacceptance of monuments.

Wishing you success in your diggings.

I am

Yours very truly

John Lubbock

Major Gen A. Pitt Rivers FRS

---------

[Lubbock]

[Crest]

11 April 89

My dear General

Many thanks for your letter, the kind tone of which I quite appreciate.

As regards the future I quite concur with you that it would be the best policy to work with Plunket. He is an old friend of mine, & I should also be sorry on personal grounds to do anything without consulting him.

I would gladly introduce a bill enabling him to accept monuments, & to stop destruction, as you say for a few months. This was indeed our original proposal.

I also quite concur with you about the local societies but am not quite clear how it could be avoided. Perhaps when you come up we may talk it over.

I am

Yours very truly

John Lubbock

Major General Pitt Rivers

-----------

[Crest]

17 Mar

Dear General Pitt Rivers

I send you a copy of our Bill, & am sorry to hear the Government have doubts about it.

The Irish authorities, & I believe it will mainly affect Ireland, will I understand support it.

In Committee [sic, he might mean conclusion?] I need not say that I should most favourably consider any suggestion from you

I am

Yours very sincerely

John Lubbock

I am glad you have not resigned

[2 copies of the draft Bill to amend the 1882 Ancient Monuments Act are attached]

Notes

[1] Lord Holbridge cannot be identified

[2] David Robert Plunket, 1st Baron Rathmore (1838-1919) Irish lawyer and Conservative politician, first Commissioner of Works from 1885 until 1892

[3] This appears to be David Christison who wrote an article about Dr Turner, who I cannot identify

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Box 1/ L5

[Crest – Office of Works Whitehall Place S.W.]

Jan ? 82

Dear General Pitt Rivers

I shall be in London on Thursday the 11th and can see you here say at 10ck

Yrs very truly

G. Shaw Lefevre

--------

4 Grosvenor Gardens

Dec 4th 1882

Dear Sir

I have remained in town in order to see you after the opening of the Law Courts as you requested. [1] If it would not be inconvenient to you to see me tomorrow morning on the subject [insert] of the Ancient Monuments [end insert] I should be much obliged otherwise if you would kindly name another time I would return to town from Dorsetshire at any time that may suit you.

Believe me

Yours [illegible looks like obediently?!]

A Pitt Rivers

------------

[Crest – Office of Works Whitehall Place S.W.]

Dec. 5. 82

Dear Sir

I am very sorry to think that you have stayed in town on my account. I could see you today, but I am rather busy as I have to go down to Stratford on Avon tomorrow to make a political speech for which as yet I have made no preparation—I shall be in London again on Thursday afternoon & Friday and I could see you I incline to think however that it would be better to postpone our interview until I shall have had time to draft the memorandum on the object of the Ancient Monuments Act the best mode of carrying it out. I would then send it to you for your remarks and we might meet later to determine any doubtful points. If this meets with your approval I will not ask you to call here at present

Yrs. very truly

G Shaw Lefevre

General Pitt Rivers

P.S. What is the position of your collection at South Kensington – Has the Government declined to take it and have you given it to some other institution? I ask with reference to the building which it now occupies. [2]

--------------

[Rushmore, Salisbury]

Dear Mr Shaw Lefevre

I have been thinking it may perhaps be [illegible] advisable to [word illegible] [insert] nominate [end insert] [insert] name [end insert] in certain counties or districts persons who may [illegible] to put perform [insert] perform [end insert] the function of Local Guardian of Ancient Monuments such as the President & Secretary of local archaeological societies or field clubs. their position would of course be honorary but seem official & I have no doubt may good [?] there would be few willing to accept the post. It would be their business to report to the Inspector about anything [illegible] access or was likely to damage the monuments unless this is done either the Inspector must inspect all the [insert] scheduled [end insert] monuments always, or we might fail to take proper care of them which is not to be present [?] I think is that often once the Government has made itself responsible for the preservation of these things they must be open to attack from all quarters if anything goes wrong and makes me [illegible] some system of local inspection great unnecessary [2 words illegible] be [illegible] in travelling expenses & even then we may not secure the necessary information information [insert] protection [end insert] I feel sure that the fact of local guardians would not be [illegible] to county archaeologists under teh only few in this [2 words illegible] receive two being suggestion from [illegible] but it will enable the defendant to say that due provision has been made for obtaining requests for all threatened damage to the monuments

It is of course [word crossed out and illegible] not a thing to decide upon in a hurry but this matter might perhaps be considered in the [2 words illegible] [draft ends here]

-----------------

[Crest HM Office of Works, Whitehall Place SW]

Nov 30 83

Dear General Pitt Rivers

I have dealt to day with 2 questions submitted by you to the Department. I am sorry to find that owing in part to press of work due to a very important enquiry at the Post office & in part to demands on my time at Reading I have been unable sooner to deal with them

Yrs very truly

G Shaw Lefevre

-----------------

[Shaw Lefevre]

Oct 28 92

Dear General Pitt Rivers

Primrose has shewn me a letter from you dated July 4 last on the subject of Ancient Monuments in which you suggested that it might be well for you to send in a General Report which you have had some time in preparation. I think such a report would have great interest and value & if without any inconvenience you could complete it I shall be much obliged. I will then consider whether any amendment should be made to the Act

yrs very truly

G Shaw Lefevre

Notes

[1] The Royal Courts of Justice, on the Strand in London, were opened by Queen Victoria on 4 December 1882 see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Courts_of_Justice

[2] Pitt-Rivers’ discussions with South Kensington Museum about the future of his collection had concluded with agreement that they should no longer be loaned to that institution. In May 1882 Pitt-Rivers had begun negotiations with the University of Oxford about donating it to them. These discussions were not concluded by December 1882 but the negotiations were positive. Pitt-Rivers’ collection, meanwhile, remained in the rooms near the Horticultural Gardens under the South Kensington Museum’s care until 1884-5.

------------------------------------------------------------

Box 1/ M1

Feb. 23. 83

My dear General

I have sent again to hurry the printers

Y.v.t. [Yours very truly]

ABMitford [1]

---------------

March 9./83

My dear General

I have suggested a conference between the director of the survey, yourself and me upon your report of yesterday. We shall then be in a position to make a definite recommendation to Govt. as to staff &c. I have an idea in my head which I think may work well to begin with.

Meanwhile I cannot get the prints from the Stationary Office!

Yrs very truly

AB Mitford

-----------

March 13. 83

My dear General

Many thanks for your kindness in sending me your two publications which I have read with great interest.

I hope to be able to send you the print of the act &c. this Evening or tomorrow

Yours very truly

AB Mitford

----------------

[Answered June 16/ 83

June 11.83

My dear General

Have you any letters from owners handily on ancient monuments? If so I think they ought to be registered don’t you

yours very truly

AB Mitford

---------------

July 23. 83

My dear General

The Chief Commr. will be happy to see you on Thursday at 3

yours sincerely

AB Mitford

--------------

August 24. 83

My dear General

We have been very much preped ]?] lately – and to tell the honest truth I have been compelled to delay taking action in regard to your two minutes of July 24. There are still one or two small points which I should like to discuss with you before proceeding further. The real time for getting at a final solution will be when we are preparing our exh... for the ensuing year this autumn. We shall then be able to get a hearing on the measures.

I am going away for a few days but shall not go further and [insert] than [end insert] Westgate and shall be available for business

yours sincerely

AB Mitford

--------------

Sept 2. 83

My dear General

It is very kind of you to invite us to Rushmore. But I fear that owing to my father’s state of health we shall hardly be able to get away this winter. Clementina [2] has explained about this to Mrs. Pitt Rivers. We shd. so much have enjoyed had it been possible.

I hope your visit to Scotland [3] will be pleasant and a success from the official point of view.

This autumn we must settle many points of detail

yrs sincerely

AB Mitford

---------------

Dec 3. 83

My dear General

I have to go to Hampton [illegible] on Wednesday. Perhaps Thursday wd. suit you equally well?

yrs sincerely

AB Mitford

--------------

July 17.84

My dear General

I can see no objection to your proposed reading

yours sincerely

AB Mitford

Notes

[1] Algernon Bertram Freeman-Mitford (1837-1916) see http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/35048. Note, the two men were distantly related through Pitt-Rivers' wife. Secretary at the Office of works from 1874 to 1886.

[2] Lady Clementina Gertrude Helen Ogilvie (1854-1932, daughter of the 5th Earl of Airlie, wife of Mitford. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algernon_Freeman-Mitford,_1st_Baron_Redesdale. Mitford’s father died in 1883. Mitford’s wife, Clementina, was the niece of Pitt-Rivers’ wife.

[3] Pitt-Rivers visit to Scotland was part of his job as Inspector

AP, December 2014

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo