Pitt-Rivers and Rollin & Feuardent

B448 S&SWM PR papers

[Stamp] Rollin & Feuardent | Dealers of Coins, Medals, Gems, Antiquities &c | Gt Russell Street, Bloomsbury | 4 Rue de Louvois Paris |

Dec 7 1886

Dear Sir

The reference given in Lord Selborne's paper, to which you refer, are to the first edition of "Coheu", the second edition now in course of publication will of course include all the published types, and will apper [sic] in the 6th vol which will be out about the end of this month, I send you this day vol. 5 and hope to send you vol 4 in a few days when I expect a fresh supply

Yours very obediently
Francis E. Whelan [illegible squiggle]

General Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury | Wilts

P.S.

I send by this post the catalogue containing an account of the find together with descriptions of the objects, of the "Tresor de Montcornet" this is one of the most remarkable treasures of silver objects ever found in Gaul and I venture to think worthy of a place in your Museum

You will see the sale by auction takes place in Paris on the 20th FEW [illegible squiggle]

Pitt-Rivers did not purchase any of the Montcornet finds, or at least they are not listed in the catalogue of the second collection.

-----

61 Gt Russell Street, Bloomsbury | 4 Rue de Louvois Paris | Rollin & Feuardent | Dealers of Coins, Medals, Gems, Antiquities and Numismatic Books

London April 6 1888

Dear Sir

I have to acknowledge receipt of your esteemed favour and have written to Paris for specimens of Roman coins with the [crossed out P drawing]

Yours very obediently

------

Ansd Sept 22

London 19 Bloomsbury Street W.C. | Paris 4 Rue de Louvois | Rollin & Feuardent | Dealers of Coins, Medals, Gems, Antiquities and Numismatic Books

London Sept 21st 1891

Dear Sir

I am in receipt of your esteemed favour I can supply two cabinets of the very best workmanship of the following dimensions Height 15 inches Width 11 3/8 in Depth 11 3/8 in containing 28 trays (each) the trays pierced with 1 1/4 holes 49 holes in each tray 7 x 7 thus each cabinet will hold 1372 coins, if the two are beyond your requirements I can offer one, if on the other hand should you prefer two cabinets of smaller size I could have them made for you to any pattern as I think it very unlikely that you will find two cabinets exactly to your wants, if you will kindly let me know exactly the size you wish the holes, (which you do not mention in your note) and the number of trays in each cabinet I will forward you an estimate

Yours very obediently

----

London 19 Bloomsbury Street W.C. | Paris 4 Rue de Louvois | Rollin & Feuardent | Dealers of Coins, Medals, Gems, Antiquities and Numismatic Books

London Sept 24th 1891

Dear Sir

The cabinets I sent you particulars of are £8/8/- each.

I can supply you the cabinet according to the measurements & details you send at £5/5- each

Yours very obediently

General Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

-----

Ansd Sept 29/91

London Sept 28th 1891

Dear Sir

I am in receipt of your instructions for the two coin cabinets but before putting them in hand think it better to advice you that the estimate forwarded you £5/5/- each was for mahogany cabinets, the wood most usually employed and the cost of making them in rosewood according to drawing and with flush handles will be £5.17.6 each. I should also be glad to know if the doors of the cabinet you have are with flush or sunken panels, if you could spare the case and one tray of the cabinet you have and would forward me same it would ensure absolute uniformity.

I have a small cabinet the counterpart of yours with ebony fillet and edging but it is in dark mahogany

Yours very obediently

-----

Ansd Oct 1/91

London Sept 30th 1891

Dear Sir

I am in receipt of your note and on the other side you will please find particulars of a small mahogany coin cabinet the price is £5/3/-.

I am
Yours very obediently

Height 10 1/2 inches

Width (across doors) 10 3/8 inches

Depth 10 3/8 inches

5 pierced with holes 1 5/8 diameter 5 x 5

10 pierced with holes 1 1/2 diameter 5 x 5

5 pierced with holes 1 1/4 bare 6 x 6

----

This cabinet will contain 555 coins

-----

B448 Drawing of red ware vessel ?Add.9455vol3_p789 /1 copyright S&SWM PR papers

Ansd Jan 11th Sabatier returned same day

[Stamp] Rollin & Feuardent | Coins, Medals, Antiquities &c | 19 Bloomsbury Street London W.C. |4 Rue de Louvois Paris

Jany 8th 1892

Dear Sir

On the other side I beg to hand you the outline of a vase of red ware from Egypt which I think will interest you, I have also acquired from the same source a number of fragments of Egyptian pottery of various epochs notably one piece with a name and shall be very glad to forward these together with the vase for your inspection May I ask if you have quite finished with my copy of Sabatier Monnaie Byzantine loaned you some time since as I am at this moment cataloguing some coins and should be glad to refer to it.

Yours very obediently

This must be Add.9455vol3_p789 /1, the fragments are shown below in the second image here.

-----

[Stamp] Rollin & Feuardent | Coins, Medals, Antiquities &c | 19 Bloomsbury Street London W.C. |4 Rue de Louvois Paris

Nov 13 1891

Dear Sir

I forwarded you some few days since addressed Tisbury Station, the small coin cabinet and trust it has reached you safely

Yours very obediently

----

Add.9455vol3_p789

Ansd Dec 12/92

London Dec 8 1892

Dear Sir

I am forwarding you by this post a copy of the catalogue of the Collection of Coins of the late Mr H Durden you will note that lots 3, 6, 7, 8 10 & 12 are all from local finds and such will be of interest and importance to you lot 33 also contains some local mints.

Should you not be in town at the date of the sale (the 20th inst) I shall have much pleasure in asking for you if you will kindly let me know the lots you most desire

With compliments
I remain
Yours very obediently

No coins from Rollin & Feuardent are listed in the catalogue of the second collection, but Pitt-Rivers did purchase from this sale see Add.9455vol3_p890 /3 and on, it is not clear from the catalogue whether Pitt-Rivers attended the sale himself or got a proxy like Whelan to attend on his behalf.

------

19 Bloomsbury Street | London W.C. | Dec 16 1892

Dear Sir

I am in receipt of your esteemed favour this morn the various types which differ but slightly are represented in each lot under the Nos 6.7.8.

Sir John Evans is very desirous of acquiring No 12 it will probably sell for about £12 to £15. I am enclosing herewith the portion of gold wreath

Yours very obediently

Transcribed by AP for the Rethinking Pitt-Rivers project August 2011.

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo