B series Dealers

B series S&SWM PR papers

B403 Bryce Wright

Bryce-Wright | Mineralogist & Expert in Gems & Precious Stones | The Museum 26, Savile Row, W.

March 7th 89

Sir,

I have a good armlet & a gold hair ornament you might like to see - The armlet is as follows [Drawing] & the ornament of spiral this [drawing] but [illegible] extend Gold with twisted Ends also a series of Maori [illegible]

I remain, Sir,
Yours obediently
Bryce Wright

Lieut Genl Pitt Rivers FRS

-----

B404 Carter & Co.

Ansd Sept 19/95

Telegraphic Address: Carters Pottery, Poole Telephone No 19 | Carter & Co. Encaustic Tile Works Poole Dorset | Decorative Art Potters | Manufacturers of every description of tiles for floors, wall, hearths, Cheeks, Grates, &c &c Decorative Faience, Mosaic, Lustres &c | O.C. Aug 31st 1895

General Pitt Rivers | Rushmore, near Salisbury

Sir,

We have much pleasure in sending today packed in one box and carriage paid, a few sample vases addressed to you at Tisbury Station till called for. We regret that we have not been able to send some better and more elaborate articles. We have however only commenced this department a few months. Had the notice been longer we should have been able to have done something specially. We trust however on a future occasion if we might be allowed to send something that the assortment may be more varied and of a higher art merit. One of the vases is a ruby lustre; the production of this class of ware we have given a great deal of time and attention to. We enclose in the box 2 or 3 cards if you wish to place anything against the articles to identify these with us.

We are, Sir,
Yours faithfully
Charles [illegible]

Telegraphic Address: Carters Pottery, Poole Telephone No 19 | Carter & Co. Encaustic Tile Works Poole Dorset | Decorative Art Potters | Manufacturers of every description of tiles for floors, wall, hearths, Cheeks, Grates, &c &c Decorative Faience, Mosaic, Lustres &c | 1022 O.C. Sept 20th. 1895

Mr Harold Gray | Rushmore, Salisbury

Dear Sir,

Your favour duly to hand for which we thank you. We are pleased to hear that General Pitt Rivers purposes permanently exhibiting the specimens we sent. As they were of so simple a character we should be very glad if the General would allow us to make no charge. The exhibiting will doubtless be of some extent an advertisement for us. We are making some more elaborate articles of the same description and we hope on a future occasion if we are asked to send anything that our specimens may be of a higher merit.

We are, Sir,
Yours faithfully
[illegible]

---

B407 Cross of Liverpool

Ansd Dec 6/98

December 2nd 1898

Cross, Liverpool | Telephone No. 6491

To General A. Pitt-Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

Mr Cross begs most respectfully to inform Gen. A. Pitt-Rivers that he is sending the Benin objects and others this day by passenger train to Tisbury station. Upon the other side is a complete list. Among the Benin bronzes, there is out of especial interest, it is the figure probably of a priest in solid bronze and upon which are curiously worked figures of a Cross, Beads, Girdle, etc. Mr Cross has had probably more Benin specimens through his hands than anyone living, yet he has not had anything to compare with this figure, to which he places an especial value, because it indicates with some sort of definiteness the origin and date of these specimens, however General A Pitt-Rivers will perhaps communicate directly they are inspected & state the value of any specimens detected [?] A connosseiur who called here to see these specimens wished Mr Cross to reserve four of them for him but having previously written to General A. Pitt-Rivers Mr Cross declined to reserve them.

List of specimens sent

* 1 [insert] solid [end insert] Benin bronze figure, with Cross, Beads, Girdle

1 [Benin bronze figure] with crest on head from Kings juju home

1 [Benin bronze figure] form Queens compound

1 Gold Coast bronze weight from Prempets palace

1 River Niger (Asaba) state court spear

[Added?] (not sent) 1 Wood stool Gold Coast

1 four bladed paddle River Benin

2 two bladded paddles River Benin

1 ivory war horn, Rings house, Benin city

1 Ancient head of an extinct race of Indians from Peru. A curious type with low forehead, large cheekbones and coarse black hair much resembling the Malay head.

PS Mr Cross has not sent the stool he thinks it is not required

Mr Cross has not at present either laughing jackasses or wallabys but he will inform Gen. A. Pitt-Rivers the first he receives. At this season of the year he has not much in stock, about 28 lions 6 tigers 23 panthers, 2 black panthers 27 polar bears 23 cassowaries 200 baboons apes & monkeys 200 pythons, a Rhinoceros, 2 Gigantic pythons 24 feet, perhaps however some of the lesser things would be taken. A small herd of 10 golden agouti £12 10/- pretty [illegible] breed & live on the lawn. Coati mundi. Crown Cranes. Norfolk Prairie Marmot. Macaws. Tame crested screamer fallows one, Canada geese. Mile geese. Bran [?] geese. Arctic snow geese. A miniature Shetland pony 34 inches Rare Amazons & [illegible] Lories Large purple Gali... Nicobar pigeons, Abyssinian francolins 12 large ...., a fine Argentine game bird size of a pheasant which bid fair to become naturalized in England.

Also following Museum specimens

Giant hippopotamus head

Giant elephant head

Giant Elephant skin, head & all perfect to stuff (Barnums largest) Giant Red Kangaroo perfect to stuff, Lions, Lionesses, Tigers, Panthers, perfect to stuff 3 Enormous Snakes 23 feet long skeleton and skin perfect to stuff Python reticulata 4 Elephant feet to mount as snuff-holders, tobacco jars etc 1 Orang Outang to mount 1 Giant Himalayan Bear 3 Egyptian mummies

------

B408 W.D. Cutter

W.D. Cutter 36 Gt Russell Street Bloomsbury W.C. | London Oct 13th 1882

General Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

Sir,

I sent off the ebonised plate stands today packed in a box, for this size the lowest price I could get them for was 3/0 each & I hope they will meet your approval.

I beg to remain,
Your obedient Servt
W.D. Cutter

---------

B409 E. Cutter

From Miss E. Cutter 36 Great Russell Street Bloomsbury London W.C. Antiquities, Curiosities, Natural History Specimens | Oct 21st 1896 To Genl Pitt Rivers Rushmore Salisbury

Dear Sir

I regret to say I have no Dyak shields just now, I sold two last week. I will write to you should I get any.

I remain
Yours truly
E. Cutter

-------

B412 S. Egger

Budapest Lloydgebaude |Saison Carlsbad Malteserkreuz | S. Egger & Comp. Münz- und Antiquitäten-handlung Wien, Kohlmarkt 8, Wallnerstrasse 1 | Vienna 12th December 1881

Dear Sir

After much troubles it succeeded us to acquire a very nice Celtic sword which we allow us to offer you.

The last price of it is £20.-.- and it is of an especially form and size. We request for a very soon answer, as we cannot reserve a piece like that for a long time.

We remain Dear Sir from very truly

S. Egger Co

Drawing [drawing attached]

Honble | General Pitt Rivers | London

-----

B413

"The Old Curiosity Shop" | 11, New Oxford Street, | London, W.C. ... | Fenton & Sons | 11th Oct '88

Genl Pitt Rivers

Dear Sir

I managed to buy the iron casket for you yesterday & left information for it to be forwarded to you with the bedstead. The key of the box could not be found when it was put up for sale, but the porter promised to have a good search & send it if he could find it.

The Oak Table I did not buy, as it realized £3-5-0

I omitted to mention to you yesterday a collection of 19 Hindoo Gods, carved in soapstone, which we have recently purchased. They are an interesting lot & you may perhaps like to see them when you are coming this way.

I am, Dear Sir,
Yours truly
WK Fenton

----

"The Old Curiosity Shop" | 11, New Oxford Street, | London, W.C. ... | Fenton & Sons | 5th Nov. '88

Genl Pitt Rivers

Dear Sir

The shield as per enclosed sketch sent by you we have sold. It was about 20 inches in length.

We enclose sketch of a smaller specimen, without the brass centre, which may possibly interest you. [insert] Price 8/- [end insert]

This appears to be complete as it is.

Yours faithfully
Fenton & Sons

----

"The Old Curiosity Shop" | Memorandum | Fenton & Sons Dealers in Antiques and Articles of Vertu | 11, New Oxford Street, | London, W.C. ... | May 14th 1895 | General Pitt Rivers 4 Grosvenor Gardens

Dear Sir

We send you wherewith a sketch of the Lead water Cistern mentioned to you last week. We have three offered to us, all of the same date 1738. On one of the others there is more ornamental border work. The price of them [insert] is [end insert] £18 each.

We are, Dear Sir,
Yours faithfully
Fenton & Sons

----

"The Old Curiosity Shop" | 11, New Oxford Street, | London, W.C. ... | Fenton & Sons | Nov. 24th 1896

General Pitt Rivers

Dear Sir

In reply to your telegram we have today forwarded to Tisbury Station on approval the goods selected by Mr Gray and we have also added three other pieces of China with similar ornamentation on.

We must apologize for not answering before this your letter of the 5th inst, but we had been waiting to write and at the same time send you some sketches but our man who does this work has been too busy to attend to us. However anything good we do not think you have missed, for a number of the specimens in Webster's catalogue are our property & we allow him to illustrate them.

In future when we get anything special likely to suit you, we will communicate with you.

We beg to remain, Dear Sir,
Yours faithfully
Fenton & Sons

------

"The Old Curiosity Shop" | 11, New Oxford Street, | London, W.C. ... | Fenton & Sons | May 17th 1898

Genl Pitt Rivers

Dear Sir

We have a set of three masks from Tyrol which we think might interest you. Enclosed is a full description of them. The price of the set is £75.0.0. and if you would like them sent to you on approval we shall be pleased to do so on hearing from you.

We are, Dear Sir,
Yours faithfully
Fenton & Sons

-----

[in pencil at top] (Part of 17.5.1898)

"The Old Curiosity Shop" | 11, New Oxford Street, | London, W.C. ... | Fenton & Sons

Genl Pitt Rivers

Dear Sir

A set of three wooden masks belonging to the Brotherhood of Berehtelsläufer in the village of Lans near Innsbruck in Tyrol 17th century:-

The first one represents the Devil, head of a monster with large buck-horns

The second a spectre (bearded head of a man carved in Gothic lines)

The third a witch (head of a woman with very long nose)

The brotherhood runs with these masks during the holy nights of the Yule-time (Berchtelnacht) through the whole village, through every house, jumping and crying and dancing to expel the Devil and the evil spirits out of the houses.

These old wooden masks are extremely scarce, there exists a few in the Museum of the Prince of Hohenzollern in Sigmaringen, in the Germanic Museum in Nuremberg [insert] and [end insert] in the Ethnological Museum in the Museum for Volkstradt in Berlin.

-----

B416 Halstaff & Hannaford

Ansd Aug 3/95

Halstaff & Hannaford | 228 Regent Street | Dealers and Importers of fine Japanese & other foreign goods, porcelain, lacquer, ivory carving, enamels, metals etc. | Established 1825 | July 31 1895

Sir

We have just received some very fine quality Old metal sword guards Iron and bronze two of which are beautifully inlaid with enamel, two or three are Shibuitchi and Shakudo all of them are 17th or 18th Century pieces, and by well known masters, I would esteem it a great favour if you would kindly allow me to send them down to you to see, there is 16 of them, & could be sent by Parcel Post, but I feel sure you would be interested as I have never had any as good before Awaiting the favour of a reply

Yours obediently
for Halstaff & Hannaford
JH Housman

------

B417 Hann

Ansd Sept 4/96

107 Praed St | Paddington | Aug 29.96

W. Hann presents his compliments to Major Pitt Rivers and has taken the liberty to enclose a list of Paintings (on Bark) of Gods which are for disposal Knowing that Major Pitt Rivers is an authority in such matters.

The paintings can be seen in London at any time or could be sent for inspection

[Printed list attached with card which says Imperial Cycle Bazaar, not transcribed]

----

B420 Henriques

The first part of this is an undated tabulated ?invoice

No. of objects

No. ofSpecimens

[Object]

[Location]

[Cost] [£]

s

d

Arrowhead [drawing] detelled

Zeland

Arrowhead of chipping [drawing] less

Ditto

Arrowhead [drawing] less

Funen

Arrowhead [drawing] dentel

Ditto

Arrowhead

Unknown

6, 7

Arrowhead

Unknown @8

8, 9, 10

Arrowhead

@9

11 11a

Arrowhead [drawing]

The whole on Moen @ £1.5

Arrowhead [drawing]

Tulland

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

South of Zealand

Arrowhead Lyre o 15 has served as model to Madsen T 39.27

Freder…berg

15a

Arrowhead black flint [Drawing]

Funen

Arrowhead dentelled

Jutland

Harpoon

Zealand

44, 45

Sacrificial knives very big handle

Ditto

51, 52

Knives with square handles

Funen

Spearhead [drawing] big

Ditto

Same shape

Hammershoi Bornholm

Spearhead dentelled Madsens T 37 No 31

Zealand

Ditto

Aartus Jutland T.34 11

Narrow gouge polished on 4 sides

Havnbjerg

Ditto chisel

Aartus

Ditto ditto shaving knife very scarce

Ditto

Gouge cut charp scarce

Love

Ditto polished four sides pointed neck

Tyderup

Ditto ditto two sides very fine pattern

Tallinge Fullen

Flat wedge polished on four sides olive very scarce

Thorslande

232 233

Ditto ditto

Vemmelord

[in pencil]

303 and 304

Wedge with pointed neck

Gjerlov

Ditto ditto ditto ditto

Foelstang

Remarkable wedge re

313 314

Wedge with hole scarce

Wedge with heal [sic]

Zutland

Hammer without hole

Laudsgran

Ditto with

Hyllerup

Ditto

Ditto

358 359

Fashion hammer boat shaped

Bayeuse Funen

366 367

Ditto ditto

Tylland

Ditto ditto manestone [?]

Tueland

Ditto ditto

Zealand

Slingstone

369 to 78

Srimnge [?] by

Hol

393to 396

Proesto Bildro

397 399

409 410

Flint block big

411 12 13

Arrowhead

Greenland

414 15 16

Ditto

Ditto

Necklace of amber beads

Screskon Aede

419-34

Askoliu

Lots 58-59  1.0.0
Lots 96-97
Lots 98-99 1.4.0
Lots 181-182 11.0
Lots 215 5.0
Lots 243 9.0
Lots 144 1.0.0
Lots 364 Fashion Hammer greenstone  2.0.0
Lots 39 Sacrificial knife Funen 5.10.0
Lots 298 Wedge 2.5.0
Lots 299 2.16.0
Total  73.2.6
Lots 166 8.0
Lots 49 5.0
Lots 120 10.0

--------

----------

S. Henriques | Antikviteshandel | Amagertorv No 18 | Kjobenhavn K | 10 Aug 1881

Honorable [sic] General Pitt Rivers | London

Dear Sir

Thanking you for your favour of 7 inst, I regrette [sic] very much that I did not send you the Invoice separately but I could not think that you would not open the boxes of that reason. The lot consists of 434 specimens and if you open the boxes you will at once find the invoice laid on a smaler [sic] box whereupon as written with great letters "Invoice" and shall have next the cover - But in order to [insert] that [end insert] you not shall have the [illegible] to open the boxe invain I give you an extract of the invoice and hope that you as soon as possible will send my an answer I remain dear Sir

most [illegible]
yours very truely
S. Henriques

Extract of invoice

Arrow heads No 1 - 36 incl from 2 1/2 to 11 centimetres 6 sh to 1£ 10s
Arrowheads of hand & chipping No 37 20 @ 2£.10
Sacrificial Knives
from N38-50 long: 13 à 22 cntms from 2s.6d - £5.10sh
Knives with square handles
for 51-63 long 13  à 22 cntm [illegible] 4 sh.6 to 1£ 5 sh
Laudoes [?]
dentelled spear heads &c
for 64-129 long 7 cnm 32 cnm price from 2 sh to £6-11 sh
Shaving & craquel [illegible]
for 130-142 long 10 cnm 20 cnm Price from 2 sh6 to 12 sh
Narrow gouges
for 143-145 ong 55 centimetres 20 cntm Price from 10 sh to £3
Narrow chisel
146.166 L 7-26 cntm Price from 3 sh to £1-1-0
Gouges
167-187 L 9 ct - 17 ctm Price from 1 sh 8 d - 11sh
Wedges many different types
188-333 L 6 1/2 ctm - 36 1/2 ctm Price from 1 sh to £2-16
334 - 367 L 9 ct - 25 ct Price from 4 sh 9 d to £2.8.0
368-417 2 1/2 - 36 cent Price from 2 sh to £4
418 A cencer [?] of Bronze work with iron chaines £3.6
419-434 Finding [?] the whole £1.10
If the lot is taken I give a deduction of 25 per cent

I hope Dear Sir that you will be kind enough to open the cases and look at the implements and invoice. There had too much trouble and too much loose of time as you should not do so - and I am sure you will oblige me in doing so Most respectfully S.H

-----

[Separate sheet dated 10 August 1881 and addressed to Pitt Rivers, which is very faded but seems to be a list of lot numbers and costs totalling £63 3s ending with note in different hand 'Receipt this sheet' and]

£63.6sh paid with a cheque on Messr Ransom & Bouverie S. Henriques Copenhagen 1 April 1882

-----

S. Henriques | Antikviteshandel | Amagertorv No 18 | Kjobenhavn K | 26 Sept 1881

Honorable [sic] General Pitt Rivers | London

Dear Sir

I beg to acknowledge the receipt of your favour of 22nd wherein you did not inform me the receipt of my letter 19th Aug - with a shorter list of the implements, but perhaps you did not find it sufficient, and I send you hereby a duplicate as you demand it - Yours very truly

S. Henriques

Honorable Sir

Refering you to my respects of Dec last year, I have now herewith the pleasure to forward you this magnificent and rich collection of stone implements &c, which you would oblige me kindly to examine as I only have made a few remarks by same specimens in order to share largness [?], though you will remark that the prices are very moderate, I still am willing as you [illegible] to give you the considerable deduction of £25 p cent in order to encourage you to take the lot, which must be together, but should you not withstanding the great deduction not be willing to take the lot, I could also be willing to see you a certain part of it and in this case you would oblige to tell me the number of the specimens you would keep, as I am not able to sell under a certain amount, previously I have placed Lot 133 9 sh to your [illegible] and wishing you a good receipt ... [there follows 3 pages of tables set out like the one above]

----

B421 Hirsch (on behalf of Ludwig Lindenschmit, Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum)

George Hirsch, Speditions-Geschäft | Reichsbank Giro-Conto. | Mainz den 25th Sept 1882

To General Pitt Rivers 4 Grosvenor Gdns London W.

Sir,

Dr Lindenschmidt, the director of the "Romisch-Germanisches-Central-Museum" of this town has instructed me to forward two cases, containing metal goods, to your address at the same time asking me to reimburse myself on delivery for £95.13/- as well as for my own charges thereof. I beg to inform you that there will be an additional fee of at least 50/- to be paid in that case, which however would be avoided by your sending me a cheque for the amount aforesaid.

Please let me know by return of post whether you wish me to pay on receipt of the goods or whether you will send a cheque.

Your obedt servant
George Hirsch

----

George Hirsch, Speditions-Geschäft | Reichsbank Giro-Conto. | Mainz den 7th Oct 1882

To General Pitt Rivers 4 Grosvenor Gdns London W.

Sir,

I beg to confirm my letter of 25th Sept and having had no reply from you whatever I have shipped the two cases viz ROM 1/2 to London  via Rotterdam [illegible] Messrs Langstaff, Ehrenberg & Pollack of 60 King William Street E.C. will deliver same to you against payment of £97.2/-

You will also please to pay their charges on these goods & oblige

Your obedt servant
George Hirsch

-------

B422 Hyams

Frank Hyams | 167 New Bond Street | London W. January 3rd 1899 | Also at Dunedin New Zealand | By special appointment Their Excellencies Sir Wm Jervois The Earl of Onslow The Earl of Glasgow

Dear Sir

I am this day in receipt of your dated 2nd Am sorry I havse not a catalogue.

The many curios I have at above address are from my museum in New Zealand

I should be glad if when next in London you could find time to visit my rooms as I am sure there are many things you would be interested in.

The working of the New Zealand greenstone into artistic articles has been [illegible] for many years I am now able to show some specimens of same

I am, dear Sir
Your obediently
[illegible but presumably Frank] Hyams

General Pitt-Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

------

B423 Indian Art Gallery (Procter and Co.)

Indian Art Gallery | 428 Oxford Street ... | London Nov 13th 1888

Private

General Pitt Rivers

Sir,

I beg to take the liberty of writing to ask if you would care to see two very exquisitely carved pieces of ivory of a certain character. I should not thus presume only that I had the pleasure of selling you two stone models which you may recollect. If you care to see them I should be glad of an appointment to show them as, should you call here I might not be able to produce them, as they are quite private although at times I could.

I remain Sir
Your Obediently
R Alexander

----

Indian Art Gallery | 428 Oxford Street ... | Procter & Co. | London Dec 11 1895

General Fox-Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

Sir,

With regard to the two Windows in the carpet room at the Earl's Court Exhibition, we can get these reproduced at a cost of £115.

Should the size of these be not exactly what you require, we could make them either a little larger or smaller to fit any special space in which you might wish to place them.

Should you favour us with the order we will put the work in hand without delay.

Your obedient Servant
Procter Co.

------

Indian Art Gallery | 428 Oxford Street ... | Procter & Co. | London Jan 6th 1896

General Fox-Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

Sir,

We should be pleased to wait upon you, should you be in town, in order to explain any further particulars you may require respecting the facade which you saw at the Earl's Court Exhibition, and for which we sent you an estimate to reproduce.

Should you not be coming to town, the writer will be pleased to call upon you at Rushmore with the sketch, to receive your instructions, if agreeable.

We have the honour to remain, Sir
Your obdt Servants
pp Procter & Co
R. Alexander

------

Indian Art Gallery | 428 Oxford Street ... | Procter & Co. | London Nov 13th 1896

Sir,

Should the object mentioned in enclosed cutting interest you, we should be pleased to submit it, as we have it here for sale Price £2.500

Yours Obediently
pp Procter & Co
R. Alexander

we have also some new Arms and other interesting pieces

Cutting:

[Hand dated Dec 6th 1888] 'Among the more interesting objects forming part of the collection of Burrmese, Indian and Japanese curios, advertised for sale by auction by Messrs Phillips ... on Wednesday is an Indian idol of some value and celebrity. It is the representative of a deity to whom Hindoo women pay peculiar worship and is known as the original "Lingam God" ... [it] consists of an extraordinary chrysoberyl cat's eye ... set in a large yellow topaz, the whole supported on a native Indian gold base, incrusted with diamonds and set around with nine gems ...'

------

Indian Art Gallery | 428 Oxford Street ... | Procter & Co. | London Mch 31st 1897

Sir,

We have just received six different patterns in Persian Tiles of the small sizes 6 inches square.

We can offer these at the unusually low price of 3/6 per tile if a case of not less than 50 is ordered & we should be pleased to send the samples on approval.

They would be suitable for panelling, chimnies, flower boxes, dados &c

We have the honour to remain, Sir

Your Obedient Servants
pp Procter & Co
R. Alexander

-----

Ansd June 17/97

Indian Art Gallery | 428 Oxford Street ... | Procter & Co. | London 10 June 1897

Sir,

We have the pleasure to advise dispatch of a box to Tisbury station containing 7 sample tiles as per enclosed memo showing the quantity of each we are able to supply. As you may require a considerable number we have quoted them at a very low price and trust they will meet with your approval

We are, Sir
Your obdt Servants
pp Procter & Co

[list enclosed but not transcribed]

-----

Ansd Sept 15/97

Indian Art Gallery | 428 Oxford Street ... | Procter & Co. | London Sept 14th 1897

Sir,

We should be glad to know your decision respecting the Tiles we sent on approval in the month of June last. Trusting you are sufficiently recovered to allow us know

We remain, Sir
Your obdt Servants
pp Procter & Co R. Alexander

-----

Indian Art Gallery | 428 Oxford Street ... | Procter & Co. | London Oct 19th 1897

Sir,

We are sending you a small case of sample Tiles, carriage paid, as being the only ones we can supply at the present moment, and we should feel obliged if you would kindly return to us those you have, and retain these in their place to order from.

We have a very handsome Persian enamel Samovar, or charcoal Coffee Pot, and a Camphor Wood chest on handsome carved stand, both worthy of inspection.

We have the honour to remain, Sir
Your obdt Servants

The photograph enclosed of Persian Tile, in various blues and white, is a sample of half a dozen, similar ones we should be glad to submit. If of no interest, kindly return.

-----

Ansd Nov 8/97

Indian Art Gallery | 428 Oxford Street ... | Procter & Co. | London Oct 26th 1897

Sir,

In reply to your favour we beg to state that the letter which contained the photograph of the Persian Tile, also advised our sending a small case of tiles, with list of contents, and asking you to kindly return all that were sent in June and retaining these to order from, as all the former are sold, except these very samples. If you will do so, it will simplify matters & we shall feel obliged.

As regards the large Tile, as per photo, we shall be pleased to send it for inspection when you are ready to see it, as we could not leave it in abeyance for any length of time. There are 6 altogether of this size

We remain, Sir
Yours obediently

-----

Indian Art Gallery | 428 Oxford Street ... | Procter & Co. | London Aug 30th 1898

Sir,

We have the pleasure to advise despatch of goods as per enclosed invoice, and trust they will reach you in safety.

Photographs are enclosed with Tiles, prices as per verbal agreement

Panels £15/./. or £25 the two
Screen £70 [Added note in red 'Bought by Gen. Rivers at £40 Mar. 1899']
Doorway £50
Elephant Chair £15
2 Plates showing 131 samples Teak wood carvings 20/- each to clear = £13 [Added note in red 'Bt by Gen. Rivers'] otherwise 15/- to 50/- each

We have the honour to remain, Sir
Your obedient Servants

-----

Indian Art Gallery | 428 Oxford Street ... | Procter & Co. | London

The Mooltan Fireplace was designed about 1891 or 92 for the Fine Art Museum at Lahore. In 1894 it was used to decorate the Viceroys large Reception Hall on the occasion of the Durbar held at Lahore in that year

It is believed to be the only one of its Kind existing

The Persian characters are (freely translated) as follows:-

Oh Saheb may thy threshold
Like the Stars be full of light
The Scales of Justice in thy hand
For ever balanced be.

The fire place is considered to be one of the best specimens of Mooltan Tile work, both as regards the purity of colors and completeness of the design

------

B425 Inman

[Stamp] A. Inman Oriental Depot 17 Ebury St S.W. | 9 June 1888

Sir

I called at Grosvenor Gardens yesterday after the Marquis of Exeter's Sale to report to you the result of your [illegible - c...pion] to me. But having been informed that you left for Rushmore I write to inform you as follows:-

The Pair of Parrots fetched 48 Guineas
The Pair of White Jugs (Lizard Handles) 17 gns!
The Cup with Red Band 7 gns!

Therefore they fetched about three times as much as the limit to my bidding put them.

There was a full room of company and fair competition. No doubt the value of the objects was enhanced by reason of their coming from such a distinguished collection.

I am, Sir,
Your obedient Servant
Alfred Inman

PS I enclose Catalogue marked with a few of the prices obtained

Genl A. Pitt Rivers | Rushmore

-----

[Stamp] A. Inman Oriental Depot 17 Ebury St S.W. | June 15 95

Sir

I beg to send you enclosed copy of J. Fergusson upon the subject of the Italian origin of the inlaid coloured stones upon white marble, which I had known of long, but have only just met with their authority. The copy is in pencil because made of a Library from which pen and ink are excluded.

I am now ...ing [illegible] diligent search for a small specimen of this inlay made in Italy, and will report again when successful.

I have communicated a written list of the objects derived from the Exhibition Court, and now await a reply. From Elkington's however I have ascertained that the prices of their replicas of the Repoussé Bowls - silver plated - is Eight and Ten Guineas according to size

Yours obediently
Alfred Inman

General A. Pitt Rivers | Rushmore

P.S. The written invoice was kept back until I wrote

Pencil-written notes attached headed 'From History of Indian and Eastern Architecture by James Fergusson DCL &c &c 3rd volume John Murray 1891 Page 588 Book VII Chap X ... [not transcribed]

-----

[Stamp] A. Inman Oriental Depot 17 Ebury St S.W. | June 18 95

Sir

I have the pleasure to forward herewith enclosed Two small specimens of Old English Lacquer work such as I understood you wished me to procure. The prices are 2/- for that upon metal, and 10/- for that upon Wood.

Since I wrote last I have visited the South Kensington Museum (Indian section) and viewed the two pieces of Inlay looted by Sir John Jones and now enclose herewith two rough sketches of them. As Dr J. Fergusson remarks, the Slabs with Birds, Fruits, & Foliage resemble most forcibly the recent Florentine work. I am still seeking a specimen of the latter.

I further beg to enclose some remarks of Dr Sir Geo Birdwood further upon the same subject.

With regard to the three objects entrusted to me by the Hon Mrs Pitt Rivers I have to report that they have all been placed in the hands (repaired) of the Housemaid left behind at No. 4 Grosvenor Gardens.

Yours obediently
Alfred Inman

General A. Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

Pencil-written notes attached headed 'From Dr Sir George Birdwood's Industrial Arts of India Part II (South Kensington Museum Hand Book page 214 ... [not transcribed]

------

Ansd by Gray June 25/95

[Stamp] A. Inman Oriental Depot 17 Ebury St S.W. | June 22 95

Dear Sir

Please to receive herewith enclosed Two Small Specimens of Italian Inlay of coloured stones upon marble. These are forwarded subject to your approbation. If not approved of it is necessary that they should be returned to me promptly in order that I may recover the purchase money which I had to pay the Italian who furnished them before I could obtain possession of them. Their price is twelve shillings each.

I cannot hear of any massive pieces like the Agra Lota from the Indian Exhibition Only flat objects - plaques &c

I have also met with two pairs of pieces of Pietro-Duso as follows:-

Two rectangular plagues [sic] of Black marble 20 inches by 16 inches containing a Vase of flowers - formed of inlaid coloured stones in alto relievo Price £10 the pair plus 5%

Two Oval Plaques ditto ditto but smaller & with the addition of fruit, cherries &c of inlaid coloured stones in alto relievoPrice £7.10/- the pair plus 5%.

The Italian from whom I procured these small specimens has two more of the cherry [illegible] similar to that sent herewith at the same price. Also he had a plaque of convolli with some lapis lazuli in the inlay price fifteen shillings. Also two ill defined pictures of coloured inlay at one guinea each. Subject of one is a classical temple, rocks &c and of the other of a [illegible] and rocks. The sizes of these are in proportion to their price, as compared with those now sent.

The whole of this inlay work is from Italy. I cannot hear of any of this work being made at the present time or imported.

Of these two enclosed plaques the Bird & Tulip subject is considered the older.

I am, 
Yours obediently
Alfred Inman

----

Ansd July 12/95

[Stamp] A. Inman Oriental Depot 17 Ebury St S.W. |11 July 1895

Dear Sir

Since my conversation with you yesterday respecting Italian inlaid marble Chess plaque I have attended a [illegible] Christie [illegible] & Woods sale by Public Auction to day and I have there purchased a beautifully inlaid Italian marble Chess Table the price of which if you take it over from now will be to you Four Guineas - and I hope that you will do so, as I have no need for it myself, and acted upon the opportunity to the best of my judgement.

It is not the comparatively simple plaque which I described to you (that had already changed ownership) but it is already and perfectly mounted as a Table. complete upon a splendid Sienna marble pillar or pediment.

It is altogether a very handsome piece of Italian inlay work and worth double the price I have mentioned [illegible]

I shall be very pleased to receive your orders to forward it to you - it shall be carefully packed.

I am, Sir,
Your obdt Servant
Alfred Inman

[Enclosed drawing shown here]

-----

Ansd Sept 18/95

[Stamp] A. Inman Oriental Depot 17 Ebury St S.W. | July 27 1895

Dear Sir

With reference to the exhibits in the Glass Cases of the Earls Court Indian Exhibition, and especially to those particular objects which you pointed out to me, I have to report that although I made application immediately respecting them I have been unable to obtain from those in charge more than negative information about the greater part of them i.e. - that they cannot find out from the owners that the [insert] objects [end insert] are for sale  - and as those owners are mostly private individuals the chances are against my being able to procure them. One piece that you wished for has een applied for by other parties, namely;- A fine Silver repoussé Bowl with medallions of figures & having open work near rim, about eight inches diameter. But this is not for sale.

I have already reported that the collection of metal bowls of Burmese Repoussé work, of which you wished a pair, are Replicas manufactured & exhibited by [illegible] Elkington & Co. whose price, they [illegible] me, was from £8 to £10 each. But of course I do nothing further with these until I have further instruction from you.

Yesterday however I have ascertained that one fine piece of Kooftkarri work from the Panjab, which you selected, is for sale! I enclose a pencil sketch of it herewith to assist in identifying it. The metal is steel, and it is silverplated in part & chiefly kooft with silver upon the blue steel field. It also has gold kooft work over it. The kooft ornament is very fine, and altogether it is an important piece. The price is seven guineas and a half. The height is about Fifteen inches. It is in Glass Case XXIII Number 1313.

In connection with the above I wish to add that I have in my own collection in Ebury Street a small "[illegible]" or scentholder, from the same place, of the same material, Kooft all over with ornament & arabesque in Gold only height four inches price ten shillings only!

Yours obediently
Alfred Inman

General A. Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

[Sketch not enclosed]

-----

Memorandum | To: Genl Pitt Rivers 4 Grosvenor Gardens

[Stamp] A. Inman Oriental Depot 17 Ebury St S.W. | 12 Oct 1895

Please receive herewith

Catalogue of Indian Exhibition

Pencil sketch of Figure 3 feet high for sale (one of a pair)

Pencil sketches of figures 2 feet high for sale Single

and of Pair 4 feet 6 ins high not for sale

NB the Pair of Demons supporting a Bell belong to Lord Roberts At page 230 of Catalogue is matter expressing Indian marble inlay AI

----

[Stamp] A. Inman Oriental Depot 17 Ebury St S.W.

Dear Sir

I beg to inform you that I have received a reply from Mrs Bercus the owner of the larger pair of Burmese carved wooden figures stating that she does not wish to part with them. So I have applied to the Superintendent at the Indian Exhibition Earls Court upon your behalf for the Pair nos 230 & 232 price £4.10/- and I am to have possession of them immediately upon the closing of the Exhibition tomorrow, when I propose if I do not hear to the contrary to pack them carefully in a large case and despach [sic] them to your address. They are the large pair, three feet high, of which I furnished you a sketch of one of the figures, and the other figure is similar.

I have also written to the owners direct of other objects which you wished for - but so far the answers received have ben against disposing of them.

I now beg to enclose a bill of this last transaction - together with a statement of outstandings - and as I shall have to pay the Exhibition balance upon clearing there & the Kooftkarri Chardan (which I will forward at the same time) I shall be greatly obliged by a Cheque.

I remain, 
Your obed. servant
Alfred Inman

25 Oct 95

General A. Pitt Rivers

Oct. 25 1895

General A. Pitt Rivers

Bought of ...

Oct 8

From Indian Exhibition Earls Court One pair Carved Gong holders & pole Nos 230 & 232 £4.10.0

My commission 4/6

Oct 14

From Ditto Ditto catalogue 1/-

[Total] 4.15.6

----

Sir

I beg to advise the despatch this day to your address of the Kooftkarri Chardan procured from the Indian Exhibition at Earls Court this day. They were unable yet to deliver up the Burmese Carved Wood Gong Holding Figures.

But I cleared upon my own a/c Four Burmese Figures of small size carved in wood - and as you expressed a wish to see them I have enclosed them in the package sent off to you today. Their price is Thirty shillings net for the whole four.

The favor of an answer to my request of the 25th inst. will greatly oblige

I am, Sir, 
Yours obediently
Alfred Inman

30 Oct 95

----

Memo

Attendance had to be given at the Indian Exhibition Offices on four separate days vix Oct 23, 38 & 30, & Nov 1 before delivery could be effected.

Because the larger figures had been sold at the Exhibition also to Messrs Emmanuel of Portsmouth, who were unwilling to give them up I had to insist upon our right to them.

AI

2 Nov 95.

17 Ebury St SW

----

Ansd Feb. 27/ 96

Sir

Amongst the objects exhibited at the Earls Court Indian Exhibition were some ancient bronzes each with two long prongs which proved to be hair combs - and which you desired to add to your collection. After much delay the owner has informed me that he is willing to part with them. They come from Southern India & belong to Colonel Shelley Leigh-Hunt who was quartered there for thirty years. At present he resides at "Dol-Peris" Bournemouth West.

I beg at the same time to inform you that Col. Leigh-Hunt is also the owner of an important Shrine and Stand of which I hand you by this post, under separate cover, two photographs and a printed description, which he is desirous of selling. He has them all at "Dol-Peris" Bournemouth West, where they can be inspected any day by appointment.

With reference to your enquiry last month, and in continuation of my letter in reply, I have interviewed the parties from whom I procured the Hispano-Mauro Lustre Ware in question. They deal indirectly with the two brothers in Spain who have revived that art manufacture. I am unable to procure further particulars. But if you give me an order for more of that ware I will with pleasure put it in the right channel for execution.

I am, Sir,
Your obed. Servant
Alfred Inman

26 Feb 96

----

Ansd May 15/ 97

[Stamp] A. Inman 94 Victoria St. London S.W.

Sir

Regilding Buddha

With reference to the audience granted me by the Hon. Mrs Pitt Rivers, and in continuation of my letter of the 4 May *, I now beg to state as a Revised Estimate that for the sum of Nine pounds, more or less, the large and important Figure of Buddha can be cleaned and repaired in its present situation, have its Stand ReLacquered, and the feet, hands, breast, neck, and face regilt with the best English Gold, and in the first style of workmanship.

If the missing Nimbus was to be regilt, or the Figure taken away by your order, both would involve extra expense.

I cannot recommend its being done with inferior gold as it would soon assume a bad appearance like some parts that have been so treated already, probably because the great value of proper gold could not be afforded at the time.

Yours obediently
Alfred Inman

6 May 97

Note that the letter of 4 May 1897 is not included in S&SWM PR papers.

----

Inman | Ansd May 19/97

[Stamp] A. Inman 94 Victoria St. London S.W. | 17 May 1897

Dear Sir,

Upon receipt of your letter of the 15th I called today at no. 4 Grosvenor Gardens and made search for the Nimbus in the small Room where the Buddha is stored, but found it not. But I was informed that the other Store rooms were locked. So I applied (by direction) to Mr Mann, House Agent, and he informed me that the Keys of those rooms are with The Hon. Mrs Pitt Rivers. I will immediately [illegible] search further upon obtaining the keys

I judged that there was originally a Nimbus by the presence in the Stand, at the back of the two feet, of an opening cut to receive something.

That might have been a long upright bar about five feet high with a golden circle, which sets along the back of the head - Or there might have been instead a broad flat canopy (?Lotus Leaf) rising from the heels up to the crown of the head over which it terminated in a conical point. May I ask if it is known what was really there.

Yours faithfully
Alfred Inman

To: Harold Gray | Rushmore | Salisbury

----

[Stamp] A. Inman 94 Victoria St. London S.W. | 20 August 1897

Please receive herewith upon approbation

One length of Delhic printed Cotton Dado (with half yard wide bands of various colors @ sixpence per panel Eleven = 5/6 (1 yard in depth)

One Square of Delhic printed Cotton Cloth (42 inches) for 2/6

One Portion of Delhic Cotton Cloth printed in colors - 4 yards long by two yards wide - centre design of the "Tree of Life" for 10/6

General A Pitt Rivers | Rushmore

"Jeypur" Palampres Printed in Colors on fine Cotton with

One larger, 4 yards long by 2 yards wide, Dark yellow ground Richly covered with Rafaellesque designs of Squirrels [illegible] Peacocks, Large Sunflowers [illegible] &c for 10/6

One Ditto with White Border & Dark Yellow Filling in Centre & Tigers & Antelopes in Dado for 7/6

One Ditto upon rich Yellow ground all over - Design of small [illegible] pattern of Bouquets and small arcade in [illegible] with sprigs of flowers facing the centre for 7/6

NB Other patterns can be supplied & further quantities

----

[Stamp] A. Inman 94 Victoria St. London S.W. | 20 August 1897

Sir,

I beg to acknowledge the receipt of your note this morning, and I will make Enquiries of those who lately constituted themselves a Burmese Company & imported the Carved Teak Door Posts and then write to you again whether they can be obtained now

And I have to impress you that I have just despatched to your address by Parcel Post a Parcel of 5 Indian Cotton Cloths printed with subjects in Colors - all upon approbation. A list of them accompanies the parcel.

With regard to the decoration of the White Panels of Concert of the Indian House from Benares I shall be obliged if you will allow me a few days before replying more definitely - I have in my memory only an unpleasant recollection of crude designs of gods and animals painted in glaring body color - which I always considered degenerate art. But I will make it my object to look up this subject, and write again.

Yours obediently
Alfred Inman

Genl A Pitt Rivers | Rushmore

It seems clear that these door posts and panels which will from now dominate Inman and Pitt-Rivers surviving correspondence relates to objects being obtained for display at the Larmer Tree Gardens.

----

Sir,

Jours [?] of 20 August

With regard to the Burmese Carved Teak Door Posts I beg to inform you that the Company which imported those you had has wound up its affairs, and ceased to exist. After a good many enquiries amongst other Indian Importers I cannot meet, or hear of, any other Door Posts. And I consider that if you require several of them the best way will be to order them direct from Burma, which I can do at once.

I am in constant communication with Burma, and feel that there Posts can be readily procured from there. [sic]

I have been turning my attention to the subject of the decoration of the Old house from Benares. Such a structure as a Goldsmith shop would not require elaborate decoration. The Wood work should be coated with body colors in a harmonious way, yet in simple style - which I could scheme out easily if I saw the building or had some drawings of it, or measurements of the parts requiring special embellishment. I have seen authorities for subjects to paint on the Panels, and I wold furnish designs for several groups, figures, animals, Hunting subjects, Gods &c when I know more about the structure. These designs cannot be furnished by me well at this stage - they would require scheming out from my recollections of Indian styles of ornamentation, aided by scattered authorities.

If it is inconvenient to render measured sketches of the house at Larmer, I would offer myself to come and after viewing there and then to submit places to you

Yours obediently
Alfred Inman

25 Augt 97

PS And I would beg to offer to bring down proper colors, & other materials, with implements, for carrying out upkeep the beginnings of such work as you wish as far as can be done off hand, leaving the rest to be added afterwards AI

----

Ansd Sept 3/97

Sir,

Indian House Decoration

In continuation of my last one the above subject it has occurred to me that one method towards the work could be by painting figures, animals, arabesques of conventional ornament, or hunting groups &c upon loose squares of lincrusta or similar material. These I could execute and then forward these to be fitted in the panel spaces. But if it is considered desirable to paint these subjects direct on to the plaster of the panels, which appears to me to be the proper thing, then I could prepare designs for the series - or better still submit to you before hand data, and sketches, and explanations in person

Yours obediently
Alfred Inman

5 Sep 97

----

Ansd Sept 13/97

Sir,

I beg to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of 3rd Sep'r and to report that I have traced the Burmese Carvings your enquiries about the possession of the Indo-China Curio Trading Company whose address is on the Third Floor of No. 58 New Bond Street. The various parts they have scattered now - some are in use, and others lying in store - but they state that they are prepared to dispose of the whole of the party as they were fitted and displayed last year at the Earls Court Exhibition for £65. Or if only the two central pieces are required then price could be £30.

The "whole Lot" would include the supporting Pillars, six or eight in number. The whole Lot enclosed a Front of 45 feet, and its two returns of 13 feet each marking a total of 71 linear feet [illegible] - The colouring of those I saw in use, differed from those lying in store.

The Company have lent me a Photograph mounted in a glazed frame, which I have unfixed for the purpose of sending herewith for your information. From this photo you will observe how the whole structure has been developedd out of the two centre pieces which alone are Burmese Carvings of Teak, and [insert] which [end insert] were planned in Burma for the two stern plates of a large Rowing Boat! which I may be able to speak more about hereafter.

And the whole of the remaining arches [insert] &c [end insert] as seen in the Photo, were carved out of deal wood in this country to carry on the design. And the Company state that they were [illegible] to [illegible] expenses about it, but can utilize the whole again for the same purpose. Although not authorized by them to say so, I should think that if only a portion of the 71 feet run is required that they would sell.

On the other hand if you wish to have all genuine Teak Wood Carvings I can undertake to procure them from Burma to your own designs - or to your general wishes & dimensions leaving the Burmese Carvers to carry the same out in their own good style. I see my way clear to getting this done.

Regarding the subject to be painted in the upper space of the thirty or more posts of the woodwork of the Benares House I am making some pencil sketches of designs for these - to be more elaborated and coloured either here or by the painter who executes the work on the spot. These will be forwarded in a few days. In the meantime I enclose with this (as per List) some native drawings &c - for ideas of the decoration.

Yours faithfully
Alfred Inman

Sep 8 97

------

Memorandum | 11 Sep 1897

To: General A Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

Please receive herewith

A sketch shewing where Teak Carvings are placed in the stern of a Rangoon Boat

11 Designs for use in painting top spaces in posts of Benares House. More designs can be made for the whole of the posts, and tints given as to colouring if required.

3 objects collected from the Shans upon the Burmo-Chinese frontier. These have just come into my possession from an Officer from Bhamo in the NE of Burma. One is a Powder Flask - the other two are their primitive contrivances for producing Fire. This is done by wrapping round the ramrod a prepared tinder - then driving some home securely when the Rammer is withdrawn with the Tinder ignited Price for the three pieces + one sovereign

AI

PS I have many Oriental Drawings colored which are not Indian

----

Ansd Sept 3/97

Sir,

I duly received back in good condition the photograph of the Exhibition Carved arcade work, and upon receipt of your letter of Sep 20, I applied to Capt. Pritchard for a detailed drawing or a Photograph of the Moulmein Three Fold Screen, and I am happy to say that he hopes to send a photograph of it in a few days.

To day, however, I have met with a Carved Teak Doorway of which I enclose a sketch. The carving itself is due to arrive here on the 4th October. It is described as finely carved. Price Thirty guineas. Extreme height 10 feet 6 inches Extreme width 5 feet.

I take this opportunity to submit herewith enclosed ten more colored designs for the embellishment of the Benares House as promised.

Yours faithfully
Alfred Inman

24 Sep 97

------

Sir,

I beg to inform you with reference to the carved Indian Porch advised in my letter to you of the 24th ultimo that the owners will be prepared on Friday [illegible] [insert] 8th [end insert] next to have parts of it unpacked and ready for your inspection at the West End if arranged for beforehand - and I shall be glad to know your wishes respecting it.

Yours obediently
Alfred Inman

5 Oct 97

------

Sir,

In continuation of my letter of 5 Oct. I beg to report that I went this day at the time appointed by the Owner of the Carved Teak Porch and found the whole set out for show and erected. The drawing sent you gives a fair representation of the Porch, excepting that it does not do the original full justice - in that the doorway does not shew the back, and that I found to be the same as the front - with projecting embelling [?] at the back & all else repeated - so that back & front are similarly carved in the remarkably fine style. I have full confidence in recommending it for purchase.

Now that it has been erected, and displayed its beauty, the owner has raised it in is estimation. He will still keep the offer open a short time, but asks for payment before it is removed, which must be at our risk & expense.

Any instructions you may favor me with in respect to it shall receive my careful attention. And if you decide to have it, please forward me a cheque for it as below

Yours faithfully
Alfred Inman

8 Oct 97

------

£38.12.0

Genl A Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

PS. The owner considers it worth very much more, & I think he is right. And there is none other now to be had.

------

Sir,

With reference to the pair  of East Indian Lacquered Wooden "Dandahs" in my possession, they are used in Native Schools, Oude, India when the Pupils repeat Poetry. Mine were sent home by Government to the Indian section of the International Exhibition South Kensington held in the year 1871, and I have kept them ever since.

They are interesting as shewing an aid to the memory and to the utterance of poetry and no doubt are a survival of something very ancient. Probably Castignettes and the Conductor's Baton are similar survivals.

The late R. Jefferies in his pleasing work "Wild Life in a Southern [insert] English [end insert] County" page 131 writes as follows of his experience of something similar

"Another ancient used to come round to the Fann Houses once or twice in a year with a couple of long ashen staves and the ceremony performed by him consisted in dancing these two sticks together in a fantastic way to some old rhyme or story."

AI

April 98

------

Dear Sir,

The Silver Pot with some gold on its Cover is shaped as the Lotus Flower and enamelled in chaste colors. It is used as a Toilet pot in Siam and came to me from Mr Cardew's Collection from Bangkok. Several objects are shewn in the Indian Museum [insert] S.K. [end insert] from Siam by him.

The cigar shaped pendant ornament came to me from the Collector who resided in Nepaul but in the parcel I [illegible] were [illegible] small pieces which he said he brought from Thibetan House and the Dealers who come into Nepaul in large number during the summer time. I believe it to be worn suspended from the neck. And in Nepaul they also wear acrescent shaped gorget about the throat, and I remember seeing in the French Army, during Louis Philippe's reign Officers wearing crescent shaped gorgets about the throat.

This cigar shaped ornament came to me in fact at the same time as the Nepaulese "Panas" of large size now standing in the place of the Inner Hall at Rushmore.

AI

April 98

------

23.4.1898 [in pencil]

Sir,

I took the opportunity last week of inspecting the two Indian Houses in the Larmer Grounds, and have had under consideration the decoration of their blank panels.

With regard to those on the interior walling, after various methods have occurred to me, I consider that the Gold Indian coloured designs on cloth, which you proposed, are very suitable under all the circumstances and I have nto yet met with anything better than one dozen of Purdahs of this material, a pattern of which I now send by post, shewing that they all differ but are of the same general design, and the "Tree of Life" in each is characteristic.

Some of the Panels at Larmer are eight feet in height, others six feet but most of them are nearer three feet.

I would propose that the Tree should be cut out of these Purdahs with sufficient bordering to fill up the larger panels. And for the numerous smaller panels that the Dado Cloth of similar make and coloring (of which I will also now send a small pattern) should be used, likewise cut up at the junction of each arcaded division varying in colours viz: Rich White, Blue, & Yellow Grounds.

They would field [sic] a filling surface of eighteen inches wide and three feet high, or less, according as wanted. And if greater heighs [sic] than three feet is wanted that might be obtained by borrowing the lower branches and base off another arcade of same color and joining them neatly beneath the upper branches of the first, so as to finish off the first with a taller tree.

The raw edges of the cloth could be covered and fixed in position in each panel by some thin narrow wooden beading, and the whole decoration carried out readily in an effective and inexpensive way - at the same time [insert] being [end insert] thoroughly harmonious Indian decoration.

The price of the Purdah is Five shillings, & of the Dado Cloth eight pence each arcade of half yard wide. And some of the handsome bordering that remains after cutting out, might be utilized in the side or bye panels.

Yours faithfully
Alfred Inman

23 April 98

PS. Enclosed I beg to return, with my best thanks, the last bill duly receipted

-----

B426 series of letters

B426.1

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Aug 29 1989

General A.H. Pitt-Rivers

Sir,

I beg to enclose the anglicized copy of Mr Ichikawa's translation. I would also desire to say that I saw yesterday a remarkably handsome gold embroidered Turkish silk Portiére 10 feet by 6 in, and remembering that last year you seemed desirous of securing one I thought you might like to hear of this one and if in town shortly might possibly like to see it. It is on view at the Ladies Sale & Exchange rooms in Brook St, Hanover Square.

They ask £20 for it but I daresay it could be bought for £15.

I am Sir
Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.2

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Sept 21 1889

Sir,

I was extremely sorry to hear on my return from the Bank that you had called and I had not been in to receive you especially as I had a little bowl to shew you which is both old [insert] Chinee [end insert] and decorated with one of the patterns you wished me to try and find viz [Drawing] Also I wished to ask you whether you would like the other volumes of the Chinese book translated

Would you like me to wait on you respecting same.

I have also a fine old short sword I should like to have shewn you

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.3

Sparks | Rushmore | Salisbury | Dec 9 90

Sir

The following in the inscription on the inside of the back [insert] or front, I don't know which [end insert] of the iron helmet if you can give me the translation of it I should be much obliged

[Copy of inscription besides each character in another hand [presumably Sparks] is Tosa-no ju (a province of Tosa) Miochin Ki-no Munéshigé saka]

Please write it on the side of the inscription if you can let me know the date of the Helmet it is built up in pieces & rivetted, a shield is made in the same manner which is, which accompanies it

A. Pitt Rivers

B426.4

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Dec 12 1890

Sir,

I enclose translation of signature, Miochin Muneshige was one of the family of the great Miochins Iron workers and your helmet therefore is a specimen of his work and is of the 14th century.

I am Sir
Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.5

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Sept 25 1891

Sir,

I have had offered to me today a really very fine collection of Bizen pottery, there are Twenty four pieces and all are fine specimens, it includes every description, the white, the blue, the purple and the brown. It is quite unique and is the property of a Japanese gentleman, the price namely £200 is not cheap but on the other hand it is not dear as no other such collection in its perfect completeness exists.  I have not shewn or mentioned it to anyone yet in case you might entertain the idea of purchasing it and if you were coming to Town very shortly I would hold it but if not may I ask you to be so kind as to send me a line to that effect so that I may know I am free to try the Museums and others. If you would like me to bring a few pieces as samples to Rushmore I will do so.

I am Sir
Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.6

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Oct 2 1891

Sir,

I thank you for your kind note and will send tomorrow a few pieces of the collection that I have been enabled to pick out They are all genuine and a fair sample and at the same time those I thought the cheapest. If you would like to see me personally I could run down next Thursday by the 9.5 am train which would enable me to return to town same day. There is one piece I should like you to have but dared not send it as it is large and would require much more care in handling than the Railway Co. are likely to give. It is a Kylin in a recumbent position, fully Three feet long and about 18 inches in heigth [sic] price £25. if you thought it at all likely you would purchase it & wished me to bring it I would do so I enclose list.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

The list is not enclosed

B426.7

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Oct 3rd 1891

Sir,

When packing the Bizen this morning I discovered that the Blue Bizen bottle had not been brought from the Dock warehouse but in its place an old Brown Bizen clove infuser price £4 so I have packed it in lieu of the bottle.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

I have addressed the box to you at Rushmore via Tisbury Station

B426.8

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Oct 12 1891

Sir,

I shall be in Tisbury on Wednesday, having an appointment with Mr Alfred Morrison, but as I shall be leaving Fonthill about 2 pm I should yet have time to drive to Rushmore and be back to catch the last train if you wished to see me, if not and you would like to return any or all of the Bizen specimens I sent for your approval, would it be asking too much if you could send me the box to Tisbury station on that day so that I might take it back to London with me.

As I leave Town by the 9 am train and consequently may miss the morning post would you be so kind just this time as to favour me with a wire tomorrow (Tuesday) if you wish me to call.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.9

John Sparks Proprietor | Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square

1 Pair Old Bizen hanging vases in shape of Moths 4 - -
1 Old Bizen Group "Hotei on stand with boys 7 - -
1 Old Blue Bizen bottle 2 10 -
1 Old Blue Bizen Peony with silver top a very rare fine piece 12 - -
1 Old Bizen Hotei 5 - -

Returned Oct 22/91
L&SW Raily

B426.10

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Oct 26 1891

Sir,

I beg to acknowledge the safe receipt of the pieces of Bizen sent for your approval.

If you are coming to town, I have received a small consignment of valuable old porcelain Lacquer etc. worthy of inspection

Yours respectfully
John Sparks
LE

B426.11

Ansd Sept 7/92 by H.G.

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Sept'r 6 1892

Sir,

Having returned yesterday from my holiday at the Sea, I at once forwarded your design with full particulars to my Agent, in Japan asking him to give it his immediate attention.

I beg to enclose for your inspection a small drawing of a very fine old Bronze Vase inlaid with Cloisonné Enamels, that I have just imported and which I consider one of the most interesting specimens I have acquired for a very long time. It is evidently a finely preserved base of the Ming dynasty probably about 1450 AD. the portions I have marked with a pencil, darkly, are plain bronze, the rest is enamelled. Part of the designs are almost Egyptian in character and the colours neutral Reds, Yellows and Greens on a Turquoise blue ground.

I have as yet shown it or spoken of it to no one and will wait your reply as to whether you would like me to bring it or send it for your inspection.

It stands 2 ft 6 in and I have drawn it to scale, the price is £50.

I am Sir
Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.12

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. June 15 1894

Sir,

In answer to your query I am sorry to say I have never heard it described or had it invoiced other than as Kiota Enamel work on Silver; but can quite see, as you point out that there should be some distinguishing appellation in contra distinction to the cloisonné Enamel, and as I am writing to Japan tomorrow I will ask my agent to make enquiries amongst those best qualified to give a correct reply, and on hearing from him will at once let you know.

The blinding of the colours in the Enamels in the best pieces is all done by one man, whose work is entirely kept in the hands of one native merchant from whom my agent can alone procure them. Mr MusaShiya a wealthy fine art dealer in Yokohama and Kioto.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.13

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 29 1894

Sir,

If you are coming to Town shortly, would you kindly honour me with a visit as I have a remarkable and unique Old Chinese Screen which is well worth inspection, besides one or two fine things lately received from Japan

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.14

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. June 13 1895

Sir,

I should both much like you to have the pair of very fine small Gold Lac vases, with the pearl Dragons, and to sell them, so will you not kindly help me by meeting me in price, say £32-10.0 which really leaves me scarcely any profit.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.15

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. June 14 1895

Sir,

In reply to your letter I can only express my sincere regret that you should have been so troubled and ask you kindly to send me the vase and piece of inlay that I may get it properly repaired. I can only surmise that the maker of the vase has been the victim of the modern evil of cheapening everything and had some of the wretched cheap glue or cement that is now being imported in immense quantities to Japan from Europe.

I am constantly writing out to my agents urging them to impress upon the makers of these beautiful things the imperative necessity of using only the best materials if they are to keep up the sale of their labours and wen [sic] offered to buy and send out anything they might require but unfortunately it seems as if they too readily believed the words of the various local agents who are out their [sic] to sell these inferior goods.

With regard to the pieces of embroidery you speak of I will look through my stock this evening adn see if there are any at all suitable and then write you particulars.

I sent the silver plate to Grosvenor Gardens on Monday thinking you were still in Town shall I fetch it away & sned it on to Rushmore.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

The enclosed translation is from the interior of the little old nashji wound lac box you bought the other day.

B426.16

Ansd Dec 6/95

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Dec 4 1895

Sir,

I have just got from Japan Two life size bronze stags of the early eighteenth century They are simply wonderful; most beautiful, elegant and life like with an exquisite patina so if you are coming to Town they would will [sic] repay a visit. The price is £120 & ridiculously cheap

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.17

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Dec 7 1895

Sir,

In response to your query the height of the Buck from ground to top of shoulder 2 ft 8 in and from group to tip of antlers 5 ft The Doe is grazing with head close to ground and her height from ground to top of back is 2 ft 8 in Length of Buck from nose to tail 4 ft

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

[In different hand] Genl. Rivers' Test Jap: Buck is 2 ft 6 in from bottom of feeet to shoulder Doe 2 ft 5 in.

L1450

15 Duke Street | Manchester Square W. `\ 10/12/95

Sir

I had a photograph taken on Saturday and now enclose first copy, it is not a good one but will probably give you some idea of how fine they really are

Yours respectfully

John Sparks

[There is also a printed cardboard rectangle saying Valuable with care From The Japanese

B426.18

Ansd Sept 8/96

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Sept 7 1896

Sir,

Having received from Japan an unique and splendid old Bronze in the form of a life sized horse which was secured from a Temple in the Soma province, may I request the favour of a visit of inspection at an early date

Yours faithfully
John Sparks

[Added in pencil, by different hand?] information lowest price

B426.19

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Sept 9 1896

Sir,

In accordance with your wishes I beg to say that the very lowest price I would take from you for the Bronze is £150 but in the event of your not caring to buy it yourself I would respectfully ask you to be kind enough to not mention the price I name to anyone, as I am asking £200 for it especially as one connoisseur who has seen it values it at fully £500 I gave over a Hundred for it but my agent got it very cheap under exceptional circumstances

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.20

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Oct 22 1896

Sir,

In reply to your letter I beg to say I still have the fine bronze Horse although the South Kensington Museum authorities are I am told very much inclined to buy it and intend discussing it at the next board meeting

I have also today received from Japan a pair of fine old bronze stags somewhat similar to the ones I had a year ago. no one has seen or even heard of them yet so would you care for me to hold them until you have seen them if you are coming to Town shortly

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

[Added in pencil, by different hand?] information lowest price

B426.21

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Oct 22 1896

Sir,

In reply to your letter I beg to say I still have the fine bronze Horse although the South Kensington Museum authorities are I am told very much inclined to buy it and intend discussing it at the next board meeting

I have also today received from Japan a pair of fine old bronze stags somewhat similar to the ones I had a year ago. no one has seen or even heard of them yet so would you care for me to hold them until you have seen them if you are coming to Town shortly

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.22

Ansd

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Oct 26 1896

Sir,

I thank you for your letter received and will accept your offer although I know if I chose to wait a week or so I can get £150, but I am not unmindful of your kindness in the past and am pleased to think you should have secured, what even Mr Gowland declares to be the finest Japanese bronze he has ever seen and which I am positive will when next sold fetch at least double what you are paying for it. I enclose Photo of the Stags which if you like to take also I will accept now £70 for altho' I pledge you my word of honour they cost me £66. as that would make the amount £200 altogether I need scarcely say under any other circumstances I should not accept such a sum and must ask you to be kind enough not to mention it to any one as my price for the pair is One Hundred Guineas nett.

With regard to the Iron Tangs I am willing to bear the expense of making them etc but before fixing them on I feel sure it will be wiser for you to see the Horse first and try it in its place on the pedestal or block first, as I am afraid you might think the iron plates spoilt its appearance, if I might suggest, I should think bolts sunk in the block first with long heads protruding that would fit into holes bored in the feet of the horse would be quite safe and look so much better.

May I not send the horse down first and then when you have judged what is best, my man here could run down if you wished and bore the holes there, or screw the plates if you preferred.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.23

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Oct 28 1896

Sir,

I thank you for your letter duly received this morning and will at once make arrangements for the delivery of the Bronze. I want if possible to get a cart such as is used for lame horses and cattle by the Railway Co; put the Bronze carefully in it and then send cart and all direct to Tisbury from whence perhaps you would kindly give orders to have ithorsed and brought on to Rushmore.

If you wish I would of course come down myself and see it on its arrival and then if you thought fit I could have any plates etc made in London that we found necessary for its security.

The Bronze is certainly patinated but I should imagine that if occasionally wiped over the wet would not injure it in any way, smoke of course would be detrimental.

The Stags are not exactly like the ones I sold to the Marquis of Bute as this pair is 6 inches shorter than his but in appearance they are similar because both are modelled from a celebrated drawing by the Artist "So sen, [insert] (1760) [end insert] as to Lord Bute returning his I can assure you he told me himself last June that he was more than pleased with them and thought them both beautiful and very moderate in price; he gave me £125 for the pair and would not be likely ever to part with them. They are in the Hall at Rothesay Castle and look splendid there.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.24

Ansd Oct 31/96

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Oct 30 1896

Sir,

Upon turning the Horse over on its side this morning to prepare it for the bolts, we found to our surprise that the hoops were not solid consequently we cannot have the "bolts" but must have the Tangs you first proposed consequently [insert] so therefore [end insert] I had the plates cut at once and by this Evening they will be screwed on. I have had the plates cut the exact size of the hoof with a tang coming 8 inches out behind, [Drawing] drilled for three large Two inch metal screws, the plates on the hoofs I have had screwed where the screws would grip and where not, rivetted, so as to be sure and have the fastening secure as per your request, while at the same time they could easily be taken off if you did not like them on, and wished it fixed any other way.

I may tell you that today, I received a communication from the South Kensington Museum asking for lowest nett price of the Horse, as they were inclined to purchase it; but I wrote them of course that [insert] it [end insert] is was [sic] sold.

I had thought of trying to get it on the Railway tomorrow if possible on account of there being always less traffic (Goods) Saturday nights but as you say wait I will do so until I hear from you either by letter or wire.

My man who has made the plates and fitted them on, can come down any day you like if you will kindly say, when. He could leave by the early morning train reaching Tisbury about 10.30 am, altho' perhaps you will think your own people could manage the screws equally well The rocky base will most certainly be a more fitting adjunct than a plain pedestal

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.25

Ansd Nov 3/96

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 2 1896

Sir,

I think there need be no fear but what the plates as now fixed are quite sufficient for the purpose, the thickness of the metal varies from a quarter of an inch to a eighth but where it was too thin for a screw to hold my man put a small rivet. He says he is quite certain no wind could possibly blow it over or even move it when once it is screwed down So would it not be better to have it down and try it, as it would not be difficult afterwards to turn the horse over if necessary & fill the hoop with lead

Yrs respectfully
John Sparks

B426.26

Ansd by telegram Nov 5/96

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 4 1896

Sir,

I have made all the arrangements and the Horse will be packed carefully in a low horse cart and leave about midday [insert] tomorrow [end insert] so should arrive at Tisbury either late Thursday night or early Friday morning. Will you therefore kindly give orders for a horse to be at the station at whatever time on Friday suits you best to bring it on to Rushmore as I feel sure it would save expense, the railway company always charging so heavily for delivery far from the station. The cart being so low there will be very little difficulty in getting it out, as eight men can lift it comfortably four on either side.

Only please give orders to see that they lift it carefully so that the Tangs do not catch as they move forwards or backwards.

It may interest you to know that Miss Alma Tadema & Onslow Ford came here expressly to see it yesterday and were both much surprised and spoke in the highest terms of its excellent qualities both of conception and technique.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

You will of course send for me if you deem my presence would be of any real service

B426.27

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 5 1896

Sir,

In confirmation of my Telegram, the horse left in a cart securely and safely packed at noon today. One horse drew it easily to Vauxhall, a distance of some four miles, cart and horse (bronze) weigh I believe about a Ton, or a Ton and a quarter. The shafts will take a large strong horse in them.

I should be very grateful if you would let your secretary drop me a lie when it has reached you

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.28

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 6 1896

Sir,

I regret very sincerely the delay caused in delivering up the Bronze but I have not yet been able to find the cause as some three or four days ago one of the London agents of the Railway came here and I fully explained all to him saying that you would send horses to fetch it from Tisbury and therefore why they should have thought it right to stop delivery until wiring me is inexplicable to me but needless to say I have written sharply to the Agent here and await his explanation. Hoping however that ere this it has reached you safely and has given you satisfaction

I am Sir
Yrs respectfully
John Sparks

B426.29

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 9 1896

Sir,

I thank you very much for kindly writing and am so glad you are pleased, though I felt sure you would be, it so fine. [sic] I really think that if you saw the pair of stags you would buy them at once also as they are in their own way almost equally as fine and though a trifle smaller than life size not much so as all the deer I saw in the Temple grounds in Japan were very small.

With regard to the plates on the Horse's hoofs I do not know of course if the "site" is unusually exposed but both the man who did the work & myself feel confident that it would have to be an extremely heavy gale that could move it when once it was screwed down. Why here in London they are not fastened on the stone pedestals at all, but merely stand on slightly sunken beds for the hoofs, the rounded surfaces affording such slight resistance to the wind.

As to the screws holding, I should recommend boring holes in the stones three or four inches deep under the plates, then fill them with lead and fix [insert] bore [end insert] the screws into the lead as then the movement if any would not wear away the lead as it would stone.

On the other hand if you decide to take off the plates you will not find it at all difficult nor will you injure the hoofs in the slightest if ordinary care is used as there are only one or two "rivets" and the other screws will come out quite easily when once started.

I will look very carefully through my own and other collections for any trace of the different kinds of chevrons and write you very shortly the result, returning your drawings

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.30

Ansd Nov 13/96 H.G.

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 12 1896

Sir,

If it is of the greatest convenience to you to keep the horse in the cart I am willing to let it remain. only please return as soon as were it is out and kindly advise me so that I may send to Nine Elms station to fetch it away as I have to pay 5/- each day for its hire until it is returned.

Yrs respectfully
John Sparks

B426.31

Ansd Nov 23/96 H.G.

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 19 1896

Sir,

I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed with the Horse when seeing it out of the cart, but altho' undoubtedly the depth of the shoulder is exaggerated still the Japanese Horses, (or Chinese Ponies as they are called) are verysimilar to the Bronze one as they are very thick built and strong and splendid mountain climbers.

The date of the casting is undoubtedly about the middle of the last century or possibly earlier but for full particulars as to its history it is impossible to get at because like all these fine Temple specimens they are sold "sub rosa" and under condition that the name of the vendor and his locality is never divulged.

It was sent to me as having been purchased from a Temple at Soma, but from what my agent writes I have very little doubt it was stolen from the "Temple of the Bronze Horse" at Nagasaki as I know a very similar specimen to thiswas mysteriously lost about Three years ago and was replaced by a new one which is nothing like so fine as yours as anyone will tell you who has seen the one now at Nagasaki.

I am sending for you to look at Two Guards, one Iron damascened with gold & silver Soten school early 17th century and one floral of the 18th century also an old carved nut (probably 18th century) as all these have diapers somewhat after the style you seek for. other specimens I am still on the look out for and will forward you if possible as I come across them. I have taken copies of your drawings for my personal reference and therefore return your originals

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.32

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 24 1896

Sir,

I am in receipt both of the parcel and your letter and beg to say the prices of the Tsuba and the old carved nut are thirty shillings each.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.33

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 25 1896

Sir,

I thank you for your letter and you may be sure I will do my best to find further traces of the diaper patterns chevrons etc.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.34

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Dec 1 1896

Sir,

I thank you very much indeed for your kindness in sending me a cheque so promptly.

I am glad to say I have found you another specimen of the diaper pattern and am sending it to you for your inspection but of course it is quite optional with your whether you keep it or return it. It is on the hilt of an old dagger which by the crest on the sheath must have originally belonged to a nobleman of the Honda clan  The blade is signed by Kanékado a well known sword maker (1450) and the Guard and mountings are by Teruhidé early 16th century signed

This therefore should be of real use in giving authentic data to the use of the patterns

The price of the dagger is £3-0-0

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.35

Ansd Dec 31/ 96

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Dec 30 1896

Sir,

Among the many things I purchased at Dr Hart's sale was the fine old wooden carving No 536 (as per enclosed). I gave Twenty Guineas but value it at nearer Forty. Would you care to have it for £25.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.36

Ansd Jan 2/ 97 £20 offered

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Jan 1 1897

Sir, 

In response to your queries I beg to inform you that the height of the figure itself is 3 ft the Glass Shade over it a few inches taller and the whole length from floor to top of stand 6 ft.

Kin-kan-kuji is the name of a Temple on the outskirts of Kioto.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

The lacquer on the figure is almost hidden by a thick coating of blackish sediment caused by the smoke from the incense burnt in front of it for centuries

Enclosure

B426.37

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Jan 14 1897

Sir,

In answer to your letter and in confirmation of my telegram I write to say that the Buddha etc is exactly as it was received from Dr Hart's house; a slight fracture of the glass shade at one corner, and no real prayer papers that I could see in it, altho' the latter are mere sinecures inasmuch as the so-called prayer papers are merely leaves of printed matter sold by the priests for a few halfpence and very often are not the real Buddhist teachings at all.

Trusting that General Pitt Rivers if not quite himself again, is still very much better.

Yours faithfully
John Sparks

B426.38

General A H Pitt Rivers London Jan 14 1897

John Sparks Proprietor | Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square

One fine old Japanese Buddha from the Hart collection Lot 536a £20 - -

To cost of packing etc £1 - -

£21 -  -

Yours faithfully
John Sparks

B426.39

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Jan 15 1897

Dear Sir,

I am in receipt of your letter and though very sorry have of course nothing else to say but that I will take the Buddha back.

As I said before, the price left no profit and I bought it at public auction so that it could not be solely my valuation, and of course the circumstances of purchase must at all times be taken into consideration when naming a price, as it is often possible to buy a work of art at a tenth of its value, and then again to have to pay more than its value if you want it

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.40

Ansd July 7/97

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. June 30 1897

Sir,

I have received from Japan one of the most wonderful pieces of iron work in the world. It is an articulated life sized snake about 5 feet 6 inches long made by Mischin Muné yori, early 18th century. It is in perfect condition and Professor Church who saw it today said it was one of the very finest things he had ever seen.

Would you like me to send it down to you to look at.

The price is £125.

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

Pitt-Rivers does not appear to have purchased the snake, or at least it is not listed in the catalogue.

B426.41

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Oct 15 1898

Sir,

In a shipment received from Japan today, I havse two small collections of the oldest known arrow heads, beads, ringsbracelets etc that have been found at various times when excavating.

I am given a guarentee of their perfect authenticity and genuineness and therefore sell them on that basis viz to be proved to to be to the contrary.

Would you like me to send them down on approval

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.42

Ansd Nov 8 / 98

Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 5 1898 | Telephone No 791 Paddington

Sir,

I desire to thank you for your cheque receipt for which I enclose.

I have ventured upon taking the liberty of sending down for your inspection the sets of very old arrow heads, charms, rings etc if you care to look at them. If not I would ask you to be kind to return them, entirely of course at my risk & expense.

I have also received a very fine old Bronze Goddess Gwannon which you might honour me by calling to see when next you are in town

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

B426.43

Things returned by rail, Nov 10/98

Telephone No 791 Paddington | Japanese Fine Art Depôt | 15, Duke Street, Manchester Square | London W. Nov 9 1898

Sir,

In response to your query I beg to say the price of the amulets etc sent are £15 the one set in a single box (black) and £50 the other but I cannot quite see how I am to separate them still if it is possible for me to do anything I can to please you I will be only too glad to do it

Yours respectfully
John Sparks

Pitt-Rivers does not appear to have purchased the objects, or at least they are not listed in the catalogue.

------

B427 Kataoka

Dec 16th 91 | 32 George Street | Hanover Square, W

Dear Sir

I am gratified to hear that you honoured me with a call at my rooms in George Street and I am very sorry that I was not at home. I am not able to keep all my consignments from Japan in the limited space available there, but I have some choice specimens of Japanese weapons, armour &, and some selected pieces of old Bizen and other early Japanese art pottery which I should like to have the pleasure of showing you and which I would put out if you can pay me a visit at another date, of which I shall be glad to have notice, as I have frequently to make country journeys to examine collections and to see collectors and I should like to be at home and to have the pleasure of receiving your visit.

I have lately received a very interesting series of very early Japanese carvings by deities and ancestral warriors honored as Gods They are rather bulky so that I am not able to keep them at my rooms. I should like to show them to you if you think they would interest you. Some of them date back so far as the 10th century.

Yours faithfully
M. Kataoka

Dec 16th 91 | 32 George Street | Hanover Square, W

Dear Sir

M Kataoka told me the makers and dates of the goods you bought, which I have written below

Set of three sake cups made by Hisa-taka, Kaji-Kawa middle of 18th cent.

Inro by Yo-sei end of 17th cent

Bizen figure

early 18th cent.

I hope that will do

Yrs faithfully
G. Kowaki

-----

B428 A. Kotin

Kotin

149 Finborough Road, | South Kensington | Russian Works of Art | A. Kotin | Sept. 14th 1891

To General Pitt-Rivers | Grosvenor Gardens

Dear Sir

I have recently received from Russia some exceptionally fine pieces of Russian Enamels and also have the following objects which I think are well worthy of your inspection:0

(1) Some very fine specimens of Russian Peasant work in Papier Maché

(2) Four Bronzes (various subjects) made by Russian Peasants

(3) A very unique Bronze made by a Japanese Peasant and his family

if you will allow me I should be most happy to submit the above whenever convenient to yourself.

Yours respectfully
A. Kotin

-----

B429 F. Kotin

Photograph returned on Nov. 18/95

F. Kotin, | Objets d'art | 40, Old Bond Street, | London 6 Nov 1885

To: General Pitt Rivers | Grosvenor Gardens SW.

Sir,

I take the liberty of enclosing the photograph of a statue of Budha, Thinking that perhaps it may interest you, it is at present in Paris, but should you like to see it I could get it sent over, the price asked for it is £45.

I remain Sir
yours obediently

F. Kotin

P.S. This statue was found at Jan Hup. near Mytho Cochin China, in the excavations undertaken to clear the ruins of an ancient Temple of Cambodian origin which was built when they over ran Cochin China height 60 centimetres width 19 do. the stone is a grey granite

-----

B430 Landauer

Telephone No 2419 Avenue ABC Code used | 36 Fenchurch Street | London E.C. | September 3rd 1898

General Pitt Rivers, D.L. | Rushmore | Salisbury.

Dear Sir,

We have received from our Mexican friends a Statue, which we understand is of great historical importance, and as we understand that you are interested in antiquities, we have taken the liberty of addressing you with regard to same.

The Statue represents the celebrated King "Netzahualcoyotle, in the act of sacrificing his first born to the "Sun God". The referred to King, is supposed to have been a companion & tributary of the famous "Moctezuma", so renowned in Mexican History.  After the defeat of the Mexicans, the object of the present, is said to have fled to the "Huasteca" the land lying on the banks of the "Panuco" river & its tributaries, and then inhabited by the fierce "Texcocos", "Huartecos" & "Otomis", whom he rallied to his standard to make a last and desperate stand against the Spanish invaders. To propitiate the native gods & invoke victory, he made a sacrifice of his only son, and in this attitude he is represented on the Statue.

The latter was found a few years ago on the banks of the "Panuco" and on the estate of "Paiga", where it is supposed "Netzahuacoyotl assembled in 1503; the native warriors to preserve their native country against the Spanish conquerors.

The Statue is to be seen at our office, and we shall be glad to hear if you would like to become the possessorof this Statue, and awaiting to hear from you.

We beg to remain
Yours faithfully
[illegible signature]

---

Ansd Nov 24/98

36 Fenchurch Street | London E.C. Nov 23rd 1898

Sir,

We have received from our friends two more Mexican sculptures which from appearances are certainly much better than the last you bought & as no doubt these will be of interest to you, perhaps you could make it convenient when next in town to favour us with a call & see them for yourself

Awaiting the pleasure of your reply

We remain
Yours faithfully
Landauer

General A Pitt-Rivers | "Rushmore" | Salisbury

In pencil underneath:

To ask whether you can send the objects here packed, on approval G.R. is in constant receipt of obj from [insert] sent by [end insert] dealers & nothing has [insert] ever [end insert] gone astray as yet. It shd. be sent to Tis Stat, Wilt and the real price shd be named

You must be careful to send them to Tis & not to Salisbury which latter is only the post town, & I do not receive objects sent in that objects sent in that do not reach me [insert] him [end insert] If [insert] Genl. Rivers [end insert] does not agree to take them he will return them to your address

----

Ansd Dec 1/ 98 £12 offered for the two pottery urns

36 Fenchurch Street | London E.C. Nov 25th 1898

Sir,

We beg to acknowledge receipt of your favour of the 24th inst & as desired we forwarded the two Mexican sculptures to Tisbury Station, Wilts, so please claim same.

You will find these sculptures to be of the best & as the price is only £10 - each, we trust you will keep them & awaiting to hear from you in due course

We remain
Yours faithfully
Landauer

General A Pitt-Rivers | "Rushmore" | Salisbury

----

Cheque £12 sent on Dec. 3/98

36 Fenchurch Street | London E.C. Dec 2nd 1898

Sir,

We have your favour of the 1st inst to hand & noted & as our friends have left us a certain discretion & taking into consideration that you purchased the first carving, we accept your offer notwithstanding we have several parties anxious to become the possessors of the sculptures in question. We have the pleasure to remain,

Yours faithfully
[illegible signature]

General Pitt-Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

----

This Statue is believed to represent the King write name, in the act of sacrificing his first born to the Sun God. He isbelieved [insert] said [end insert] to have been a companion & tributary of Moctesuma renowned in Mexican history. Notzahualcoyotle fought against the Spaniards in 1503. The statuette was found in a well on the banks of the Panuca & on the estate of Paiga a few years ago & sold to Genl Rivers by Landauer & Co Sept 3d 1898

-----

B431 G.F. Lawrence

June 30 1897 | To: General Pitt Rivers F.R.S. | From Geo. F. Lawrence | 7 West Hill | Wandsworth, S.W.

Dear Sir

Your favour to hand. I send herewith the flints you have selected - & am obliged by your selection I trust that you will think the [insert] price reasonable [end insert] I also send a few more things I have come across for your approval. I am glad to find that you are better.

I am
Yours obediently
Geo. F. Lawrence

I am collecting a highly interesting & most curious coll'n of tools &c from an old piece of ground at the mouth of the Wandle - 12 feet from the surface - covered by an old mill for at least 150 years. I have 98 already chisels hammers gouges &c &c I will send a full list when I can get no more.

---

Ansd Aug 21/97

August 19 1897 | To: General Pitt Rivers F.R.S. | From Geo. F. Lawrence | 7 West Hill | Wandsworth, S.W.

Dear Sir

I have just got enclosed coin of Addedomaros which is rare. I can take 50/- for it which is less than half the list price of it - locality not known. I also enclose the rest of the Wandle photos which are selections of the better types of these tools &c

Some of the things are Saxon & are the first known things [insert] of that period [end insert] found here.

I am
Yours obediently
Geo. F. Lawrence

With compliments

----

L534

55 High St | Wandsworth | S.W. | Sept 18/ 8

Sir

I have a collection of stone & bone implements which I should be pleased to show you when in town, as I know you are interested in any thing prehistoric. It includes, a Thames series Palaeolithic & Neolithic arrow hd [sic] knives scrapers as well as larger things Horn hammers, [insert] flint [end insert] axes etc & a unique [insert] stone [end insert] hammer. A Palaeolithic series from this place also of my own finding, containing specimens like Canon Greenwells High Lodge "side scraper;" & Le Moustier "chopper" I have also a general collection but these, of course were [illegible because smeared] interesting.

Hoping to have the pleasure of a visit any Thursday or Friday

I remain
Yours sincerely
G.F. Lawrence

----

L1722

30.12.1896 From | Geo. F. Lawrence | 7 West Hill | Wandsworth S.W. | To: General Pitt Rivers F.R.S.

Dear Sir

I have already had several applications for the hoe & naturally am somewhat in doubt as to its value. I am not very anxious to part with it at present, as I have only had it a few days - & as I have had it such a short time I should not be inclined to part with it unless I had a good offer. it is perfectly genuine in every way & I am advised that it is worth at least fifty guineas as no such thing is likely to be found again - it would not be safe to send but ought to be taken by hand. Of course if the price is prohibitive, I am always open to an offer.

With compliments & best wishes for the new Year

I am
Yours most obediently
Geo Lawrence

----

L1931

7 West Hill | Wandsworth | S.W. | Sept 8/97

Dear Sir

I now send a few things which I hope will interest you I found a good number of stone implements at Icklingham & Stow but they are not so numerous as formerly.

I found there were at least three Barrows unopened yet & I hope next year to have a turn at them.

Arrowheads still occur & I got two very nice small knives some worn scrapers & flakes & a few scrapers, as fine as any I have seen. I expect that you have as many of the ordinary stone things that you would not care for them or any of them. One thing struck me as very curious - so many of the most prolific spots are enclosed by a low bank at each side but they (the enlosed spot) are all square in form & I therefore presume that they are not [insert] of [end insert] British [insert] origin [end insert] there are a number of old trackways leading from the low level [insert] road [end insert] to the high ground where the best things occur & the whole place seems a gigantic puzzle to me, who knows nothing of military matters.

I am
Yours most obediently
Geo. F. Lawrence

I had intended selling the Wandle find, in one lot but have parted them for you the only collector to whom I have yet offered them
G.F.L.

-----

L2087

Geo. F. Lawrence | 7 West Hill | Wandsworth S.W. | May 16 1898

Dear Sir

I am expressly obliged by your keeping so many of the things I ventured to send you. I think you did right in keeping the stone club, it is to my mind unique - I have never seen one before & of course could have sold it readily, but your kindness to me compels me to submit to you anything I may get that appears of interest, before showing it elsewhere.

Canon Greenwell writes me to say that Sir John Evans said when he presented the Canons portrait, that the Canon had a finder English bronze coll'n than Sir John but that Sir John had a finer foreign one.

The Canon certainly has the finest series of swords I have ever seen both in condition & variety, but I think this Knockans spear head fig 411 Evans bronze is without exception the finest piece of bronze work I have ever handled & the rich golden colour is exquisite To show the curious connexion of types I got him some years ago a spear head from the Thames identical with one he has from Eoford Northumberland fig 405 he said they might have been made in the same mould. this is curious as the type is very unusual.

I am extremely obliged to you for the cheque to hand & I beg to enclose with compliments & many thanks

I am
yours obediently
Geo F. Lawrence

Mr Boynton has permission to finish the excavations at the so called "Danes Graves" where he found the enamelled wheel headed pin I wish him every success

------

B432 The Sinclair Galleries, Frederick Litchfield

Litchfields | Importers & Dealers in Rare Porcelain, Furniture de luxe, Enamels &c &c | 28 & 30 Hanway St Oxford St London W | Agent to the Northern Assurance Co. and to the Security Company for Insurance against loss by burglary and theft | Feby 18 1892

Sir,

I am obliged by your cheque in settlement of a/c and I trust that you are now recovering from your recent very severe illness.

I had occasion to go to Gibraltar on personal business a few days ago & picked up there some very quaint old Spanish pottery which a Spanish family had brought there. If you would like me to do so I would send [insert] to Rushmore [end insert] a few interesting pieces for your examination and approval

I am Sir
yours faithfully
Fred Litchfield

Genl Pitt Rivers

----

The Sinclair Galleries and Art Workshops | 55 57 59 Shaftesbury Avenue W | November 1896

Restoration of Art objects by skilled workmen under experts

Sir,

I venture to remind those who possess or collect art objects that I have a special department for the Restoration and Repair of Old Furniture Tapestry, Sculpture Bronzes and Porcelain, and will send experts to advise and estimate the cost upon receipt of letter or telegram, to any distance.

An our anxiety [sic] to increase their business in fresh branches which they do not understand, appears to have induced some firms, quite unacquainted with Art matters, to undertake work of this character: they lack the requisite expert knowledge, their treatment is incompetent and as a result much valuable property is irretrievably damaged. When I am counselled or some other expert is called in, the damage has been done.

I have therefore the pleasure to inform you that I have devoted many years of personal attention to the consistent and judicious restoration of such articles as are mentioned above, and have under my control a large and experienced staff of expert workmen whose services I beg to place at your command

I am Sir
yours obediently
Frederick Litchfield

----

The Sinclair Galleries | 55 57 59 Shaftesbury Avenue W | May 20 1897

Sir,

In reply to your note enclosing sketch for a chair (which I return). there is nothing to shew the exact date of chairs of this character [insert] which [end insert] were made in provincial towns & hamlets [insert] of England [end insert] in the 17th & 18th centuries. Are you quite sure that the one you have is an old one? Your sketch almost exactly corresponds with the design of some so called "antique" chairs which are made in the East End of London and sold for "old"

I do not know whether you ever saw the collection of old Cologne, Seigbert [?] & Aulham [?] Pottery jugs made by Mr George Loch formerly of Collinson & Loch. * he is a good judge & bought some very good ones - owing to the dissolution of partnership between him & his partners for other reasons his collection was sold and I bought some 18 specimens of this old ware which is very scarce to find genuine. Some are pewter mounted  - one or two silver. They are a great bargain to any one who will take the lot & if you like I w ill send them for you to ere [?] some of these jugs are the originals which were copied by Martin brothers - and some of very quaint in colour and decoration [sic] I think that you would like to have some for your museum and I am in a position to quote you moderate prices from having bought them for a small price

I am Sir
yours faithfully
Frederick Litchfield

Lt General Pitt Rivers F.S.A.

----

The Sinclair Galleries | 55 57 59 Shaftesbury Avenue W | May 25 1897

Sir,

I am much obliged to you for your "King John's House" which reaches me at a time when I am too busy to pay it the attention I should wish, but you appear to have collected together some interesting facts and to have told the story of them in a most agreeable form.

As to your chair. I am quite aware that those kind of chairs are attributed to a much earlier date by some, than I ascribe them to, but when I was engaged in writing my "History of Furniture" I took a great dal of pains to find out from contemporary pictures (such as these are certain) and from [insert] old [end insert] wills [insert] inventories [end insert] & many other documents what chairs were in use at the time of Henry VIII and if you turn to my chapter on furniture of that period you will see the result of my investigation - as a matter of fact there were scarcely any chairs in those days except a chair for the master of the house the other people used stools or benches. I believe that I am right in ascribing the design of your chair to the end of the 17th or early 18th century

Gres de Flandres & other jugs

I am sending these jugs for your inspection. Some of them cost Mr Loch £15 & £20 a piece, they were sold where no dealer of any importance was present and knocked down for a trifle through there being scarcely any opposition and the little dealer who bought them brought them to me and I bought the lot at £5 each all round. I have marked them separately at the lowest prices at which I will part with them separately but if you will take the lot as I did I will accept a profit of £1 each ie £6 each all round for the lot, except the last two on the list which came from Edkins sale which I think you attended.

I may add that I have in my own stock some Flemish and German jugs no better, indeed not so good as these I am sending to you, which have cost me £7 & £8 a piece at Christies.

These are really a great bargain In the newly published edition of Chaffers which I have lately edited you will find some additional information about these curious old pottery jugs pp 281-296 [insert] 313-321 [end insert] As you may not have a copy for reference I send you one with the jugs - if you wish to keep it the price is 42/-

You will find some reference to your own collection which I should like to have amplified if you had sent me the materials for  so doing, but I could not go down to Rushmore at the time and when I did so later the part of the book was printed

I am Sir
yours faithfully
Fred Litchfield

Lieut Genl Pitt Rivers FSA FRS &c &c

----

Lieut Genl Pitt Rivers on approval

Fourteen very curious and interesting old Gres de Flandres Pottery jugs - collected by Mr George Lirk

5987 A small Gres de Flanders Jug with medallions of a tight rope walker in relief 7-10

5988 An old Gres de Flanders [insert] Fulham Pottery [end insert] white and decorated with heads & scrolls round neck 5-5 [Added in pencil 'Bt' ie bought]

5989 An old Gres de Flanders Jug decorated with a circle and points in grey and blue 5-10
5990 An old ditto grey and blue decoration with numerous heads in relief 6-6
5991 A curious old Gres de Flanders jug with spout - Lion's head in relief
5992 An old pottery Tea Jar fitted with a screw metal top and with flowers incised 8-10
5993 A very quaint old Jug Gres de Flanders pottery grey and red brown colour 5-10 [Added in pencil 'Bt' ie bought,]
5994 An old ditto raised diamond shaped ornaments grey and blue colors 6-10
5995 An old stoneware mug cylindrical shape grey blue and brown decoration 4-10
5996 An old Gres de Flanders Jug - red brown blue and grey decoration and with a metal mount 5-10
5997 An old ditto with flower ornament in relief green stripe round neck 5-10
Continued
5999 A small old Gres de Flanders Jug with a mask and rosette 3-10
6000 A small old stoneware childs mug fitted with a metal mount 4-4
5938* A very fine old Gres de Flandres Jug coat of arms & heraldic devices in relief and with an old silver mount 10-10
2 curious old Fulham Pottery Jugs one with AM heraldic device and [illegible] plain white these were formerly in the Edkins collection the 2 5-5 [Added note Bt ie bought]
Also,
Copy of Litchfield's new edition of Chaffers 2-2

----

The Sinclair Galleries | 55 57 59 Shaftesbury Avenue W | July 6 1897

Sir,

I regret to hear that you have been ill. I only wrote again in case that the jugs might have been lost in transit.

I really think that you are mistaken in considering the prices high for these genuine specimens of old 16th centy stoneware. I know that a few years ago Mr Lock paid at auction considerably higher prices.

I am sending you four specimens which I have just bought and which I venture to think you will consider both worthy your attention and at a very moderate price. They are undoubted specimens of old 16th centy pottery & stoneware

I am Sir
yours obediently
Fred Litchfield

1 16th centy Brown stoneware Jug 55/-
1 [16th centy] white 50/-
1 pair of salt cellars 63/- pair

Your returns are quite safely to hand

Lieut Genl Pitt Rivers F.S.A. &c &c &c

------

B434 The London & Burma Merchandize Company Limited

Ansd Oct 17/96

Telegraphic Address "Tzinban, London" ABC and AI codes | Branches: Rangoon, Moulmein, Mandalay | The London & Burma Merchandize Company Limited | Mandalay Palace Empire & India Exhibition | Earls Court | 2 Lambeth Hill | Queen Victoria Street | London 15th Oct 1896 | All communications to be addressed to the Company

Sir,

Referring to the pleasant transactions we had with you last year in Burmese carved wood curios we would ask your kind attention to the annexed list of curios we have for sale & which may interest you

If you are able to inspect these personally or instruct your agent to do so, we shall be very glad to show you every attention & sell to you at lower prices than you could obtain the articles in Burma.

Your obedient servant
The London & Burman Co Ltd H Canes

Gen Pitt Rivers | Rushmore |Salisbury

1. Carved Teak Tower (Pagoda) 20 feet high
This is very unique & probably the only specimen in England. Please see book of phono
2. Carved Shrine (6 feet high). beautifully ornamented with stones etc
3 Complete Burmese Band comprising
Set of 19 drums in native cage
Set of 15 gongs in native cage
Putila (Bamboo reeds)
Gongs
Burmese Harp see Book of photos
4 Beloo Figure made of linen & Bamboo (brought from a Burmese temple) with movable arms see phono
5 Brass Guatamas
6 13 Pictures of Burmese native life brought direct from a Pagoda
We enclose a book of phono. which will give you some idea of Tower etc

-----

Ansd Oct 24/96

Telegraphic Address "Tzinban, London" ABC and AI codes | Branches: Rangoon, Moulmein, Mandalay | The London & Burma Merchandize Company Limited | Mandalay Palace Empire & India Exhibition | Earls Court | 2 Lambeth Hill | Queen Victoria Street | London 20th Oct 1896 | All communications to be addressed to the Company

Dear Sir,

We are duly in receipt of your favour 17 inst our lowest price for the Pagoda Tower (Hand carved teak) is £30 packed [insert] ready [end insert] for despatch. The tower is dissetible & numbered. We had an offer for this tower early in the summer for £50 but as we were unable to dispose of it till the close of the Exhibition the matter fell through.

We trust this price will meet your views & await to hear from you

Yours truly
L&B Co Ld H Canes

Gen Pitt Rivers

---

Ansd Oct 17/96

Telegraphic Address "Tzinban, London" ABC and AI codes | Branches: Rangoon, Moulmein, Mandalay | The London & Burma Merchandize Company Limited | Mandalay Palace Empire & India Exhibition | Earls Court | 2 Lambeth Hill | Queen Victoria Street | London 27 Oct 1896 | All communications to be addressed to the Company

Dear Sir,

I have your favour 24 inst & regret to say that in the absence of any reply from you the tower was sold on Saturday last at a better price than we offered it to you

Yours faithfully
L&B Co Ltd H Canes

Gen Pitt Rivers

----

B436 S&SWM PR papers: Martin Brothers

Ansd Nov. 4/92

R.W. Martin & Brothers. | Art Potters | The Southall Pottery | Southall | Middlesex | Showrooms and Business Address 16 Brownlow Street, Holborn W. ...

Genl Pitt Rivers | Nov 2nd 1892

Dear Sir

In reference to the two Jugs which we have in hand for you we think your Monogram under the two crests on the one side would look better & balance better with the arms on the other than the two crests alone. Should this suggestion meet with your approval will you kindly let us known what the monogram shall be.

Yours obedtly

R.W. Martin & Bros

-----

R.W. Martin & Brothers. | Art Potters | The Southall Pottery | Southall | Middlesex | Showrooms and Business Address 16 Brownlow Street, Holborn W.

Genl Pitt Rivers | Oct 18th 1894

Dear Sir

We have today sent off the two Jugs you kindly requested us to make for you, and we are sorry to have had them so long in hand; but really this has been no fault of ours, it is entirely due to the uncertainties inseparable from the firing of our ware. You will understand this when we mention the fact that last autumn we made and fired a pair of Jugs for this order, but owing to the colour not being good we refired them at the beginning of this year, which was the next firing to the Autumn one, and instead of improving them, they unfortunately split up & of course were thus ruined. The pair we have sent you today are, as you will see, very fine indeed, in fact as beautiful as anything we have ever turned out. We have charged you 6 guineas for them - The price would have been 7 guineas had we not agreed to charge you less as we wished you to let us make a pair, instead of one to try and match the other with

We are, Dear Sir,
Yours faithfully
R.W. Martin & Bros

P.S. We have returned your other Jug in the same box.

----

Ansd May 4/95

R.W. Martin & Brothers. | Art Potters | The Southall Pottery | Southall | Middlesex | Showrooms and Business Address 16 Brownlow Street, Holborn W.

Genl Pitt Rivers | April 24th 1895

Dear Sir

We have your letter of the 21st inst and beg to thank you for the order to make you 6 mugs according to the instructions therein given. We will, of course, do our best to produce the same or similar color to the jugs, but this we cannot guarentee as the firing of this ware is very uncertain.

We are glad to hear that you like the pair of jugs, we consider them very fine specimens of our work

We are, Dear Sir,
Yours faithfully
R.W. Martin & Bros

---

Ansd May 4/95

Genl Pitt Rivers | May 2nd 1895

Dear Sir

We beg to say we have put in hand the six mugs you kindly ordered; and we suppose they are to be made formounting the same as the two jugs you have.

With regard to the Crests we shall be obliged if you will please let us know if we can put one of the crests on three of the mugs & the other on the other three; as if both are to be put on each mug they would have to be drawn so small that they would not balance well with the arms on the other side. We think they would look best as on the jugs

Yours faithfully
R.W. Martin & Bros

----

Ansd May 18/95

Genl Pitt Rivers | May 9th 1895

Dear Sir

As you requested in your letter of the 6th inst., I send you sketches enclosed for the six mugs we have in hand for your order. I have noted & communicated to my brothers what you say as to decoration & colour though of the latter, as I mentioned in a previous letter, we cannot be certain of We will try for a black groundblack handles & leave theornament to come a brown, unless you can suggest anything else. I suppose the arms, being the more important, should go on the right hand side of all the mugs?

Yours faithfully
Chas D. Martin

----

Ansd May 18/95

Genl Pitt Rivers | May 16 1895

Dear Sir

We shall be obliged if you will kindly return us the sketches for mugs with any further suggestions you may have to make.

Yours faithfully
R.W. Martin & Bros

---

Copy

Rushmore | May 18/95

Sir,

I return the drawings of the Mugs. I think the sides wld be better with a slightly convex curve as shewn by the pencil line. I shall be glad if you will send me an estimate of the cost. Of course they will be proportionally less than the Jugs being smaller The black ground & grey figures will be best as I pointed out to you

----

Ansd May 24/95

Genl Pitt Rivers | May 22nd 1895

Dear Sir

We are in receipt of yours of 18th inst and note that you wish the shape of mugs altered from what you originally ordered. The mugs have already been made the shape first given, but I have not heard yet whether any decoration has been put on them or not. I wrote requesting my brothers not to go on with them until I had written you in reference to the shape you now require. I shall be glad therefore if you will please let me know by return post which of the three shapes sketched on  Nos 2 & 3 would be better for mounting than No 1 the price will be 30/- each

Yours faithfully
Chas D. Martin

[Drawings on reverse headed No 1 etc]

Please state the No. of the above which you prefer & kindly return the decorated sketches enclosed.

----

Ansd Mar 4/96

Genl Pitt Rivers | Dec 11 1895

Sir

We are very sorry that your six mugs, although made, have not yet been fired - the alterations at our Pottery, mentioned in our previous letter, having taken much longer time than we expected. We shall most probably fire our kiln next month, & your mugs will be in that firing. This is the first time in twenty three years that our firing has been so delayed, & we are very sorry indeed to have thus disappointed you.

We are, Dear Sir,
Yours faithfully
R.W. Martin & Bros

----

Genl Pitt Rivers | March 6th 1896

Sir

I am in receipt of yours of the 4th inst. & am sorry to say that owing to an accident to one of my brothers, who, through a fall, has severly injured his elbow, we have not been able to fire our kiln as we had anticipated.

It is a very unfortunate thing just now as we had already delayed our firing considerably beyond the usual time through having had to make considerable alterations & experiments with our Pottery for the production of another ware, as well as the ware we have been making now for nearly a quarter of a century.

I am going down to Southall tomorrow to see my brother & will write you again soon. I am very sorry to have disappointed you so much

Yours faithfully
Chas D. Martin

----

General Pitt Rivers | April 14th 1896

Sir

We are in receipt of yours of the 11th inst. and we are very sorry you do not like the Mugs, especially as we did our best to carry out your instructions; and, although the firing of this ware is always very uncertain, as we explained to you on a previous occasion, we certainly thought we had succeeded in getting the effect you desired, & which not a few of our customers admire, hence our saying we considered the mugs had turned out satisfactorily. But as you say you are dissatisfied with them we do not desire you to keep them, for, although they bear your Arms &c. we shall have no difficulty in disposing of them [insert[ though of course at a reduced price [end insert] However, we should like to be allowed to state that we understand you to say that you liked the way the first jugs had fired better than the second ones because the work on the former was less distinct from the grounds; and although we cannot control the firing of this ware so as to be certain of producing any desired effect, we nevertheless did all we could to make them like the first pair of jugs, before mentioned.

Knowing that some effects in this ware of ours improve on acquaintance, we venture to take the liberty of asking you to keep these mugs for a little while to see if the result would be so in this instance. But should you not wish to do so, we shall be obliged if you will kindly have them carefully packed & returned to us at our Holborn address.

We are, Sir,
Yours faithfully
R.W. Martin & Bros

----

General Pitt Rivers | June 18th 1896

Sir

We have received the 6 mugs back and are sorry they have not improved on acquaintance. We really thought you would have liked them very much because you said you preferred the first pair of Jugs to the second pair as the decoration was not so distinct from the ground on the former & the effect was like leather, & this you wrote in one of your letters describing what you wished the mugs to be like.

The clay & the treatment for color were exactly the same as used in making the two pairs of jugs above referred to. and the difference in the result is only due to the uncertain firing of this ware which, as we explained before, cannot be covered up in the kiln, as it is all salt-glazed - that is when the ware is got to a while heat salt is put into the fires & into the kiln & the vapour of the salt attacks the ware & the surface is melted.

The colours are affected by many things quite out of our control, amongst them flames & vapours, which play about the ware & may produce either good or bad results, or peculiar effects.

Will you kindly let us know if the shape decoration &c are as you wished & if we shall put 1896 on the mugs when we endeavour to meet your wishes

Yours faithfully
R.W. Martin & Bros

----

Rushmore | Salisbury | July 22nd 1896

Messrs R.W. Martin & Brothers

Sirs,

I am directed by General Pitt-Rivers, in reply to your letter of June 18th, to say that you may proceed to make the six Mugs as you propose, with the same design as before, but the shape must correspond with the enclosed drawing. The date will have to be altered to 1896, and General Rivers wishes the mugs to be done in the same manner as the first jugs you made.

Yours faithfully
H. Gray
For General Pitt-Rivers

----

General Pitt Rivers | Oct 15 1896

Sir

We beg to say we are about to make the six mugs again & should be glad if you could kindly let us have the Jug you like, so that we could see if it really was treated in any way differently from the six mugs which you returned, or was, as we feel certain, simply different on account of the firing, as we mentioned in our letters.

We should also like to know if the mugs are intended to be mounted, as if so it would be better to have the top rim cut back a little to take the mount.

We are, Sir,
Yours faithfully
R.W. Martin & Bros

-----

Ansd June 4/97

General Pitt Rivers | June 2 1897

Sir

We beg to say we have today sent you, per Parcel Post, a Mug - one of the second half dozen made & shaped according to you sketch, and dated 1896. These were fired some months ago, but we did not send them to you because they fired so much like those you returned, and our only object in sending this one now is, that we are making them again, and this is the year of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee we thought you might like to suggest some slight reference to it to be put on the mugs. Of course we should put 1897. We could put VR [insert] or V.R.I. [end insert] 1837-1897 on the front, or this

V.R.I.

We will try another way this time to get more contrast between the ground and the decoration. We have sold all the mugs but two. An early answer will oblige

Yours faithfully
R.W. Martin & Brothers

----

General Pitt Rivers | June 9th 1897

Sir

We beg to say we are in receipt of your letter of the 4th inst, and also the Mug. We should have acknowledged same sooner but have been away until this morning.

We will note your remarks in reference to the mugs we now making [sic]

Yours faithfully
R.W. Martin & Brothers

----

General Pitt Rivers | Dec 18 1897

Sir

We have today sent you, per Parcel post, three Mugs - we are sorry to say, the other three came out of the kiln cracked. The coloring this time we think is more like what you wanted. The cracked ones are just the same in color as those sent.

We shall be glad to know if you would like us to make the other three again, to complete the half dozen, and if so whether you would like to have the cracked ones in the mean time.

Yours faithfully
R.W. Martin & Brothers

----

B438 William Mullins

Feby 26 1896 | From: William Mullins | Old China & Antique Furniture Warehouse | Dealer in old Silver Plate | 52 & 54 High St Salisbury To General Pitt Rivers

Sir

The gilt screens where [sic] carefully packed in a crate & box (which please return) & sent to Tisbury Station this day. I washed the gilt and I think you will say the work [illegible] better than they did yesterday. In making out your cheque Sir I shall leave it in your kind hands to make it Fifteen guineas instead of fifteen pounds

Yrs very truly
Wm Mullins

Transcribed by AP for Rethinking Pitt-Rivers project August 2011

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo