P143a.2

S&SWM PR papers P143a

Memorandum

Wimborne Jany 10th 1893 | F. King | Bicycle, ... and Domestic Machinery manufacturer and agent ...

General Pitt Rivers

Dr Sir,

Knowing you are enlarging your Museum by adding a Cycle Department & I  having been in the trade for many years have during that time collected a number of Machines of various patterns & types _ I have them at my Factory at Wimborne in the Stores, they are all for Sale and no doubt I could meet your price by taking the lot

I am Sir
Your obet st
F. King

----

Ansd Sept 11 / 95 and Sept 18/ 95

Memorandum

From Osborn Collins | Maker of the 'Little Wonder' & 'Osborn' cycles, Serpentine Road, Poole ...

29th August 1895 | To General Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

Dear Sir

Referring to my last visit to Larmer Tree when you asked me to obtain any old Bicycles I could for you I am happy to inform you I have obtained two one was made in about 1868 & the other in the early seventies. As one is without a back wheel I am fitting one dated about 1874 I also have a piece of rubber tyre probably the first that was made, as it was constructed to the design of Mr Tarrant of this Town, to go on the wooden wheel that was then used date 1869. The two machines are presented to you by Mr Tarrant Shall I send them direct to Larmer Tree? Trusting you have secured others of different dates

I remain
Yours respectfully
Osborn Collins

----

Memorandum

From Osborn Collins | Maker of the 'Little Wonder' & 'Osborn' cycles, Serpentine Road, Poole ...

19 Sep 1895 | To General Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

Sir

I regret having delayed sending machines but have been so very busy, however I am sending them tomorrow by train to Tisbury & trust they will reach you in good condition

I am Sir
Yours obediently
Osborn Collins

-----

Memorandum

20 Septr 1895 | To General Pitt Rivers | Rushmore | Salisbury

Dear Sir

I beg to inform you I sent of [sic] bicycles to day addressed to Tisbury Station & trust you have received the same safely

Yours truly
O Collins

There do not appear to be any bicycles from the first donor in the catalogue of the second collection. The cycles from Mr Collins are Add.9455vol3_p1226 /1-2

Transcribed by AP August 2011

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo