S&SWM PR papers L1663

L1663

Hewlett ansd. Sept 10/96

c/o Miss Hogg | Berry Mead | Brixham | Tuesday

Dear Sir,

Being extremely interested in Prehistoric archaeology, I am venturing to write and ask if I may visit your Museum next week. So far as I know at present, I shall be able to reach Salisbury, on Tuesday evening, & I hope, if you will kindly let me do so, to make my way by bicycle or carriage to see your collection the following morning. I have long been wishing for an opportunity of doing so, & Mr Andrews, of Eastbourne, has increased my desire to see your treasures by his descriptions of them.

Trusting I am not asking too great a favour.

I am
Yours truly
S.G. Hewlett

--------------

L1664

c/o Miss Hogg | Berry Mead | Brixham | Saturday.

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your letter and Guide. It is most kind of you to suggest coming down to the Museum yourself, and I am much looking forward to meeting you there. I shall hope to be at the Museum from 10 o'clock onwards on Wednesday morning.

I should much like to see King John's House but doubt if I can manage it next week, as I must be leaving Tisbury by the afternoon train: however I hope to do so on some future occasion.

I am writing, as you suggest, to the landlord of the Hotel.

Again thanking you for the trouble you are taking on my behalf.

I am
Yours truly
S.G. Hewlett

Sydney Gerald Hewlett (1862-1937) attended Harrow School and matriculated in Michaelmas Term 1890 at Keble College, University of Oxford. He was awarded his BA in 1894, he became a schoolmaster and died in Redhill in August 1937. [My thanks to the College Archivist for this information] Although he did not donate any items to Pitt-Rivers, he was a major donor to the Pitt Rivers Museum, University of Oxford where he gave over 500 objects, mostly stone tools.

Transcribed for Rethinking Pitt-Rivers project by AP June 2011

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo