S&SWM PR papers L1606

L1606

Davy Ansd July 20/ 96

258 Ladbroke Grove | Notting Hill | London | July 17th / 96

Sir,

Some time since you called on Miss Davy at Salisbury, to see some Celt Moulds, I am very anxious to sell them, would you kindly tell me if you would purchase them and what is the amount you would give for them, as you are aware no doubt that they are the only ones known at present, therefore the greatest curiosity

yours truly
G. Davy

An answer will greatly oblige

---------------

L1609

Davy

258 Ladbroke Grove | Notting Hill | W | July 22nd/ 96

Sir,

Thanks for your letter received yesterday morning, the Celt Moulds I wrote to you about, Miss Davy told me she offered them to you some years since at Salisbury, and the price was put on them was fine [illegible], but as we are anxious to sell them she would take very considerably less. The moulds are 26 inches long and 11 inches round they are granite and are for casting spear heads, they were dug up 14 feet below the surface in Devonshire, they are as you no doubt know of great antiquity.

I hope you will entertain this and make us some offer

yours truly
G. Davy

-------------

L1623

Ansd Aug. 12/96

258 Ladbroke Grove | Notting Hill | W | Augst. 11th / 96

Sir,

Fearing you might not have received my last letter, describing the Celt Moulds, and as I am desirous of selling the, I should esteem it a great favour, if you would say whether you would like to buy them and name your own price

yours truly
G. Davy

--------------

L1624

Ansd Aug. 19/96

258 Ladbroke Grove | Notting Hill | W | Augst. 14th / 96

Sir,

In answer to your favour of the 12th I send an outline drawing of the Celt Moulds the exact length and width also the length of spear head, I make no description of the moulds neither have I any m.. [illegible] they have always been in my possession since they were found, I [illegible] often have wished to send them to a Museum, but none [illegible] done so

yours truly
G. Davy

Copy [in pencil]

Sir,

I am directed by General Pitt R. to answer to your letter to him of the 14th inst. to say that he does not understand your letter. He wants to know the no. of moulds in all. The drawings are evidently bronze swords. You speak of Celt Moulds but there are no drawings.

Further particulars are certainly [insert] necessary [end insert] before any idea of their value can be formed

Yours obediently

-----------------

L1631

258 Ladbroke Grove | Notting Hill | W | Augst. 23rd / 96

Sir,

In answer to your letter of the 19th inst, I have the Celt Moulds, I send a drawing of one of them, the other is very similar. I am sorry I cannot draw it as it should be, but I hope it will give you an idea of the mould. I have no bronze swords when the two halves of the moulds are placed together there is a small cavity at the top of the mould, where the metal is poured in, the Celts [illegible] in this mould, are large and strong enough for all purposes, the moulds are granite 24 inches long and 12 inches [illegible] circumference, any further particulars I will gladly give you if I can

yours truly
G. Davy

----------------

L1645

Ansd Sept 10/96 Copy kept | Davy

258 Ladbroke Grove | Notting Hill | W | Sep. 9th / 96

Dear Sir,

Thinking you may not have received my letter with the drawing of the Celt Moulds, I am sorry to trouble you again, but will you kindly say if you would wish to buy them, and should you think a £100 too much to give for them, if so, how much [illegible] that price should you offer for them. I am very desirous just now of selling them, an answer by return will greatly oblige

yours truly
G. Davy

Copy

Rushmore | Salisbury | Sept. 19th, 1896.

Sir,

It is very difficult to form any opinion of your moulds, as you do not say how many there are, and you keep on calling them celt moulds, whereas all the drawings you have sent me are sword moulds. I think if they are all in good order and genuine, £50 would be amply sufficient for them. I gave £10 a short time ago for a beautiful bronze celt mould, found near here, with all the materials for re-casting; an excellent and rare specimen, and the finder considered himself very well paid. Before coming to any decision, it would be necessary for you to send them all here on approval. You should also send a complete list of the whole of them.

Yours &c.,

A. Pitt Rivers

-----------------

L1650

258 Ladbroke Grove | Notting Hill | W | Sep. 11th / 96

Dear Sir,

Thanks very much for your letter this morning and offer of £50 for the moulds, I should not feel safe in sending them so far, for you to see, and I cannot exactly afford to bring them to Salisbury myself, I will tell you cordially the British has offered from 40£ to 50, and a lady has offered £60, but of course I should like to get more, the PS [?] Museum always calls them moulds for casting spear heads, I feel almost certain, I told you I have only two moulds, I believe there is a drawing of them in the British Museum thanks again for your offer, and I should like you to purchase them, but you will see, I want to get as much as I ca, cant you offer £80 for them?

yours truly
G. Davy

I am sorry to trouble you, but will you kindly answer by return.

These moulds do not appear to form part of the second collection, or at least they were not listed in the catalogue

Transcribed for Rethinking Pitt-Rivers project by AP June 2011

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo