S&SWM PR papers L1547

L1547

Ansd Apr 23/96 | Forbes

Shillingstone | Dorset | April 21st

Dear General Pitt Rivers

A few mornings ago I found in Robert Sedlins farmhouse an old ladies saddle & Pillion which was condemned to the flames, it was rather in a state of decay but most curious, so I asked for it, & took the liberty of conveying it to your Museum at Farnham, thinking that if you did not find it worthy of preservation you could have it destroyed. Sedlins sister remembered riding behind her Mother on it to Shroton Fair, the manner in which the pillion is attached to the saddle is not perfectly clear, but the farmer said wisps of straw were made use of, & the crupper behind kept it steady. I was very sorry to hear at the Museum that you are not very strong, also to find that the old Custodian was dead.

Believe me
Yours faithfully
Julia Forbes

This is Add.9455vol4_p1278 /1

--------------

L2402

Forbes Ansd

Shillingstone | Dorset | May 29th

Dear General Pitt Rivers

A curious old clock was taken down from Shillingstone church tower about 6 years ago, & is about to be thrown away. it has two weights, one an enormous stone, & the other iron covered with lead, they hung on ropes, the whole structure was extremely simple the clock had no face & only struck the hours, it had to be wound up every day. If you think it would be worth preserving for the Museum, Mr Gascoigne will be glad to give it to you & I can get it taken as far as Gunville fi you could send for it from there, it seems to me a pity to let it be destroyed. I hope you are better than when I saw you in the winter?

Believe me,
Yours sincerely
Julia Forbes

--------------

L2407

Forbes Ansd June 14/99

Shillingstone | Dorset | June 10th

Dear General Pitt Rivers

I sent my cart all the way to the Museum with the clock which I hope you will find interesting. I can find out nothing about it, though I had an interesting conversation with the old clerk now 84 years old, who woud it up for 50 years, & remembered deer stealing, when the deer was concealed in the church tower, also that some men, two sons of the then clerk, who were afterwards transported for burglary were concealed in the tower for several weeks. I am very sorry to hear that you are so unwell.

Yours sincerely
Julia Forbes

This item does not appear to be listed in the catalogue of the second collection

Transcribed for Rethinking Pitt-Rivers project by AP June-July 2011

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo