S&SWM PR papers L385

Crescent Hotel | Filey | Sep 30 1887

My dear Pitt-Rivers

I do not know if you are aware that the collection of barrow things from the wolds, made by Mortimer of Driffield, is for sale. *

It contains a very large number of sepulchres vessels and other articles the results of the opening of above 200 barrows. No such collection will ever be made again and you might, perhaps, feel inclined to become the possessor. The price asked is, I think, much above its value, (£3000) but I should think if an offer was made a more reasonable sum would be taken.

My examination of [word illegible] Howe proved most unsatisfactory, a grave 12 1/2 ft deep at the centre was found to contain no burial, nor could one ever have been made from some small pieces [illegible] bone was quite [2 words illegible]

Two other mounds have proved to be non sepulchral, so I have had a very unsuccessful fortnights work. I have started on another mound & this does not promise well

Believe me
Yours sincerely
W Greenwell

* Pitt-Rivers did not buy this collectionJohn Robert Mortimer (1825-1911) Corn merchant and archaeologist who lived in Driffield, Yorkshire. In 1913 33,000 archaeological objects and geological specimens were sold to Hull corporation, see here.

Transcribed by AP May 2011 as part of the Rethinking Pitt-Rivers project.

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo