Lubbock S&SWM PR papers L275

L275

Station, Orpington

High Elms, | Beckenham, | Kent. | 24 Dec. 86

My dear General

I am sending you one of the Agino [sic, illegible] original tortoise coins which I got at Athens, thinking you might like one as the origin of an European coinage. If you have one already, it will not take up too much room. I also send an opium pipe*, which Amy [sic, illegible] has brought in & which I thought might possibly do for the Museum.

Will you kindly let Mrs Pitt Rivers have the accompanying knife, which we brought back for her from Athens.

With all good wishes for Xmas

believe me
Yours most truly
John Lubbock

John Lubbock had married one of Pitt-Rivers' daughters, Alice, two years earlier in 1884. Strangely there is no record of the coin in the second collection catalogu but the opium pipe is listed as * Add.9455vol2_p274 /3

---

L280

Station, Orpington

High Elms, | Beckenham, | Kent. | 9 Jan. 1887

My dear General

You may remember that last year I was obliged to apply to you with reference to some of the Bills for Alice's trousseau which Mrs Pitt-Rivers had not paid.

To my great surprise the enclosed has been sent in again, & I have paid it as it was impossible to let Mrs Russell lose th money.

Mrs Pitt Rivers admitted in the spring that she had authorised the dress being bought & took away the Bill, which of course we supposed was paid long ago.

I wrote to her some days ago, but she has taken no notice of my letter, so I am obliged to apply to you, as I cannot suppose you wish me to pay for Alice's trousseau.

I am
Yours most truly
John Lubbock

---

L955

Station Orpington

High Elms | Farnborough, R.S.O. Kent. | 28 Oct. 92

My dear General

I now send you half a dozen "cores" from Scindh & am sorry for the delay.

Poor Alice is in bed with a very bad cold.

I met Dr Beddoe the other day at Bristol. He told me he had been at Rushmore & he was very anxious you should not expose yourself in your diggings.

With kind regards to Mrs Pitt Rivers & at at Rushmore

I am
Yours very sincerely
John Lubbock

P.S. As they are rather heavy I have sent them to Grosvenor Gardens

These are Add.9455vol3_p875 /1 and on

Transcribed by AP May 2011 as part of the Rethinking Pitt-Rivers project.

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo