S&SWM PR papers L559

L559

[Ans'd Howarth]

5 King Henry's Road, | South Hampstead | N.W. | 26. Oct. 88

Dear Sir,

I understand from Mr Tylor that in offering the Azorean "Disciplinas" for your museum at Oxford I have proposed somewhat too high a value for them. I was, as I said, rather at a loss how to value them at all: but if you care to have them for, say, £5, I shall be pleased to send them up. I should prefer before leaving England again to see them housed in such a collection, where they can be seen & compared.

Yours faithfully
Osbert H. Howarth

This refers to 1888.31.1-4 described as:

Accession Book Entry - Lt Gen A Pitt Rivers Rushmore Salisbury. 2 Flagella, candle and 'medida' from the Azores. Obtained by Mr OH Howarth 1888 (v JAI 1888 Standard 29 May 1888 (leading article) Brit Ass (Anthro Section 1888) JAI 1888 vol 18 pp 275 - 280, pl xii)

In a small exercise book found with other Museum documentation, titled 'Additions to Pitt Rivers collection, subsequent to its removal to Oxford, Pres. by Gen. Pitt Rivers' is the following entry: 'Oct 1888 Azoraque, flagellum, sacred candle and medida from St Michaels, Azores, obtained by Mr Howarth and purchase from him £5', so it is clear that Pitt-Rivers did pay the price Howarth asked for.

----

L570

5 King Henry's Road, | South Hampstead | N.W. | 2 Nov: 88

Dear Sir,

I am much obliged to your letter of the 28th.

I have forwarded the flagella, &c, to Dr Tylor, & hear that they have arrived safely

Yours faithfully
O.H. Howarth

Lt Gen'l Pitt Rivers

Transcribed by AP May 2011 as part of the Rethinking Pitt-Rivers project.

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo