Amsterdam letter

L70 Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum Pitt-Rivers papers

Copy

Rushmore, Salisbury | 15. Jan. 83

Sir

In reply to your letter of the 5th inst, in which you ask me to lend some Ethnographical objects from my Museum at South Kensington for the forthcoming Exhibition at Amsterdam, I beg to inform you that at the present moment the removal of the entire collection to, and its acceptance by the University of Oxford is under consideration. Until a decision has been arrived at with reference thereto, I regret to be unable to offer any loans of objects.

As soon as this matter is settled I will [insert] if possible [end insertion] endeavour to comply with your wishes.

I am
Sir
Your Obedient Servant
Fredk James

[Frederick James was one of Pitt-Rivers' assistants.]

----

L71

Answered 20 Jany

Free Public Museum, Liverpool | Mayer Museum 16 January 1883

Dear General Pitt Rivers

I dare say you have forgotten me, but I take the liberty of reminding you of my existence, & of my visit to you when staying with Lord Wolverton last year, in order to ask you to look at the enclosed proof [still with letter] of a circular we are going to issue, & to ask whether you think you could lend us your collection of Early Navigation things, now at South Kensington?

They would be of real service here, & as much appreciated in a collection of this kind as in London, if not more. We should want them for 2 or 3 months only. I believe they only fill 3 or 4 cases, & would not involve a very serious moving.

Hoping you will consider us favourably, & with kind regards to yourself and Mrs Pitt Rivers

I am very truly yours
Charles I. Gatty
Curator

P.S. I hope your excavation on the downs has repaid you for your trouble.

Transcribed by AP as part of the Rethinking Pitt-Rivers project, 2011

prm logo

leverhulmelogo

oxunilogo